Clear All

• well, i knew one day it would happen.

it was bound to happen.
    i knew one day it would.
    things don't last forever.
    and today was the day.

the wooden spoon has died.
    I have had it for 22 years.
    it is THE gumbo spoon. I use it to stir the roux. no other spoon would do. Over the years I have tried to work in a new one, and i just haven't been able to do it. about 12 years ago it got a crack in it, so I knew it would one day break.

and that was today. lol
    it was ugly, and it had worked it's way to a slant at the end of the spoon, perfect for stirring, and the handle was skinny... fit my hand well...

on top of that.
    tonight at dinner, i noticed my dinner plates are different, there are some different than others. I've had these plates for 18 months, and I have 4 that are different.
    how strange.
    I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Re: well, i knew one day it would happen.

RIP dear old dependable wooden spoon.
    The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

oh i used it tomake my roux for the spaghetti too

very sad day.. lol pathetic to be that attached to a spoon...
      I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

Stella, on a good note, it can be replaced...yes, I know it won't be the same. Have a drink and say goodbye and they head to Rolling Pin for another!
        "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Comment

there are worse-er things i could lose from the kitchen.

if i lose my white bowls, i'll have to be tied down. it's sickening how addicted i am to those.

last summer my son broke my 8x8 casserole dish my grandmother gave me for a wedding gift. that was pretty upsetting.

would be upset to lose the sugar bowl as well. it's one of three things I have that was my gramma's

to break in a new gumbo/spaghetti spoon tho.. ugh lol wow... the idea drains me.

actually it was a cheap spoon, it wasn't one of the good ones like williams sonoma sells...

Comment

Time to start an Ebay search. Worked for me with mly old kitchen things that I loved that people broke.

Comment

I've bought a few kitchen things lately on ebay. I think the seller was kitchenwitch.
              The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

It's funny how we get attached to certain things, especially in the kitchen. I've been married 32yrs and still have stuff from day 1. Try to replace it. You can't, they either don't make it anymore or it is so cheap quality and you don't want to spend a fortune. Stella, I understand how you feel.

Comment

I understand that very well myself... so I wrote you a song...
                  Ahem...

As Our Sweet Flo-Girly- Girl Says...
                  "RIP dear wooden spoon"...

There will never be another spoon quite like you...
                  You were just what I needed.........
                  Now I am so blue...
                  When I needed you, you were there....
                  You kept my life without dispair.....
                  You did your job and then some, too
                  What will I ever do without you?
                  I will always love you Wooden Spoon!
                  Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

wow. *sniff sniff* texas annie, that was just beautiful.

i think i'll have that put on a card, tied with a ribbon and framed with the broken spoon, maybe I can glue to together for frame purposes.

thanks for the heartfelt love and song.

Comment

My mom had a plastic spoon that was very old - older than I was and I told her when she died that was all I wanted. It was the perfect size and could scoop just the right amount of sauce onto a plate of pasta. It was perfection! Well the darn this up and broke and I went into mourning. About 6 months later I found a metal spoon that was it's equal and I bought 4 of them! I call them "awesome spoonfulls." Yes- I named them. I have no shame in admitting that! LOL!

Comment

well i am glad to know I am not alone !! lol yes it can be replaced, and yea it was only a well broken in wooden spoon. but wow to break in a new one.... that one I started at scratch, 22 years ago.

I made my first gumbo with it, and my first spaghetti... DD was upset as well, "you've had that as long as I can remember"

Comment

well just duct tape that spoon back together,,,see problem solved..
                          I'm Not Bossy, I just have better ideas

Comment

It takes a long time to get a wooden spoon just right, huh Stella...
                            Nothing better than the old cast iron skillet and a wooden spoon to make up that good old roux...
                            Now get to work and break another one in...LOL...
                            We are all waiting for Gumbo Or that good Slow-simmered Sketti as we speak!
                            (We should all send Stella a wooden spoon with a slender handle mind you.)
                            Stella, I'm glad you liked my song...I was very sincere when I wrote it Hunny Girl!
                            Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

can't.

wish i could.
                              it was split down the middle of the spoon end, not the handle end. it's broken at the spoon end, not the handle... duct tape is amazing, but it cannot help my frail little spoon.

Comment

Working...
                              X