ISO A Dip recipe....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISO A Dip recipe....

I went to a wedding a couple of weeks ago and they served this dip that the Bride's aunt made. I asked for the recipe but they wouldnt give to me.

It had rotel tomatoes, cream cheese, and cooked sausage....

Anyone have something similar?

Re: ISO A Dip recipe....

Peachy.........could this be what you are looking for???? If so, don't know what all the secrecy was about at the wedding! For goodness sakes, I LOVE to share recipes that people ask me for, I'm an open book and am happy to share!!!!

Cream Cheese Rotel Dip Recipe

Ingredients:

* 1 pack cream cheese (8 oz)
    * 1 can Rotel tomatoes
    * pound meat sausage or hamburger (optional)

Directions:

Cream Cheese Rotel Dip is made just as the Velveeta dips listed above. Instead of using Velveeta, use cream cheese. This makes a very rich and yummy dip. Its not as pretty as the Velveeta dip which is orange colored. With cream cheese, the dip has kind of a gray color. Just close your eyes and dip away. Rotel Cream Cheese Dip is fabulous.
    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

P.S. Just in case you are interested, here are the rest of the recipes I found on the page with the dip you are (hopefully) looking for plus the website link: http://www.ro-tel.com/index.jsp

There are now many variations of the famous Rotel dip, but this is the original recipe which is listed on the side of Rotel tomato cans.
      Basic Rotel Cheese Dip Recipe

Ingredients:

* 1 lb pasteurized process cheese (like Velveeta)
      * 1 can diced Rotel tomatoes with chilies (10 oz)

Directions:

1. Cut the cheese into small chunks and put in pot on top of stove.
      2. Stir in Rotel tomatoes.
      3. Cook over low heat until melted.
      4. Serve with tortilla chips.

Traditional Rotel dip can be made in the crock pot. Follow the above directions, but put the cheese and tomatoes in a crock pot and heat over low for a three hours or until cheese is melted. Also, the dip can be made on the stove top and then kept warm in the crock pot
      Sausage Rotel Cheese Dip Recipe

Ingredients:

* 1 lb cheese (Velveeta)
      * 1 can Rotels
      * ½ lb sausage (cooked and crumbled fine)

Directions:

1. Cook bulk breakfast sausage using a fork to crumble it fine as it’s cooking.
      2. Drain fat off sausage meat.
      3. Combine cheese, tomatoes, and sausage in pot on top of stove or in crock pot and heat until cheese is melted.
      4. Stir well before, a few times during, and after melting cheese.

Any bulk sausage is fine in this recipe, but a better grade of sausage means a better dip. Look for sausage packed in paper and sold in a rectangle rather than the sausage in the plastic tubes. Hot and spicy sausage is excellent in Rotel dip if family or guests like a little zip to the dip.
      Hamburger Rotel Cheese Dip Recipe

Instead of using sausage as in the above recipe, use hamburger. Again, cook the hamburger first, crumble the meat fine and drain off the excess fat.

Using hamburger will make a milder dip. There are mild Rotel tomatoes as well as the regular and the hot. For a very mild Rotel dip, go with mild Rotels and hamburger.
      The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

I make the sausage rotel cheese dip every Thanksgiving and Christmas, my kids love it. I make it with Velveeta, have never tried cream cheese ?? draining the hamburger or sausage meat is very important, makes all the difference, don't skip that step.

Comment

Glad to hear from someone who's tried it, Sabine! Thanks! Think I'll be doing the same this holiday season!

Comment

why woulnd't she share? that's just crazy. not like she owns it.
            I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

Don't understand why someone wouldn't share the recipe ?? This dip recipe has been around for so many years, there is nothing secret about it. LOL

Comment

Yeah well some people just like to think that they are 'special'. I have known one or two who say they would be happy to share a recipe and will email it and, of course, it never shows up. But what gets me, is that the same person(s) will swear up down and sideways that oh yes, they sent it to me last week, month, whatever. Why not just own up to the fact that you DO NOT WANT TO SHARE YOUR RECIPE.?!?

I am always honoured that someone liked my food so much that they want the recipe. My biggest problem is that I tend to 'tweek' things and often can't remember exactly what I did this time.
                Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                  Yeah well some people just like to think that they are 'special'. I have known one or two who say they would be happy to share a recipe and will email it and, of course, it never shows up. But what gets me, is that the same person(s) will swear up down and sideways that oh yes, they sent it to me last week, month, whatever. Why not just own up to the fact that you DO NOT WANT TO SHARE YOUR RECIPE.?!?

I am always honoured that someone liked my food so much that they want the recipe. My biggest problem is that I tend to 'tweek' things and often can't remember exactly what I did this time.
                  Ginger, I am the same way with "tweeking"! Right now I'm working on a "family cookbook" for my DD with recipes from both sides of the family and since we are Croatian on both sides, there was a lot of "tweeking" going on in the old country recipes.

And also like you, I'm honored that someone would want a recipe of something I've made. Especially if it's an ethnic recipe that only our families have heard of before. I always think how outsiders might think what we eat sometimes is "weird" but when they like it and want the recipe, I'm honored.

Comment

Oh I love the old recipes. I have my maternal Grandmother's handwritten recipe book. Many of the recipes are so stained that they are hard to read. And there is one in particular, for a chocolate jelly roll (she would put vanilla icecream in it instead of jelly, roll it up and freeze.) that none of us has been able to duplicate. Yes we have the recipe but she had to have done something 'different'.

I love the ethnic recipes too. Of all my DH's family, I was the only one that watched FIL and wrote down the amounts and procedure for making his famous Holupchi (cabbage rolls). MIL's were good but his were GREAT! He's been gone many years but his Holupchi live on.

Oops guess this is really off topic. I would think that you could add a couple of drops of food colouring to the dip to get rid of the 'grey' colour, couldn't you?

Comment

Those old "hunkies" wont give them up!!!!

Comment

LOL...........I "know" what you are talking about Doreen! I think it's sad "they" don't like to pass them along because the world is not long to have many of those old "hunkies" around. They are a dying breed in our parts.......that's probably why I'm so generous in wanting to pass those prized recipes along to my daughter and/or friends requesting them. I've had to bribe, beg and practically steal some of my "hunkie" recipes most of my adult life!!!

In case you folks are scratching your heads wondering what the heck "hunkies" are.........in the area Doreen and I come from they are those immigrants which come from Croatia, Slavenia, Slovakia, Massedonia, Serbia, Yugoslavia, Hungary, etc. These people have always been very proud and hard working people and their recipes have been closely guarded sometimes because (mostly) women have been made "famous" in their own right by how much better their recipes might have been over someone else's.

My grandparents were right off the boat from Croatia in the early 1920's and I am lucky enough to have been the one to inherit most of my Grandma's recipes. However, and very unfortunate, some of her most prized recipes are written in Croatian. My dad is the only one left in his immediate family and was the only one in the family who was born in America. Although he can speak Croatian fluently, he cannot write or read it!!! Bummer!

Comment

Kru that sounds like it! Ty ty so much... I will give it a try.

I have no idea why they wouldnt give it up. THey are quite weird though. I love to share recipes as well but some are not that way I guess.

TY again!

Comment

Krubinic, I wonder if you could contact your local college linguistics department and ask if they could help you translate your grandmother's recipes. Of course you would have to make the translator sign a 'confidentiality agreement' first

Comment

Oh great idea, Ginger!!!! However, I'm not sure if Croatian is as predominate of a language such as German, Italian or Spanish. But I'll still keep that in mind.........guess I'm off on a quest here, you give me hope!!!! LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X