Fear of flying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fear of flying?

I am expected to travel for work. I have been on a plane a few times, most recently in April which was a long flight... for me anyhow. I had to go from the East Coast to the West Coast. Monday I fly out again

Do you have a fear of flying? How do you get over it? I have read some stuff online that has helped a bit. I just hate being so high up and having no control! I really love to travel, but I hate to fly.

Re: Fear of flying?

I don't have a fear of flying, but I do have a fear of the dentist. Valium is my friend.
    Behind every successful man is a surprised woman.

Comment

Let's look at this flying thing..........

Air flowing over and under the wings of an aircraft cause lift. The air is flowing under the wing faster than it's flowing over the wing and that means there's a vacuum on top of the wing. The airplane is being sucked UP into that vacuum above the wing. The theory of flight is really very simple and has been a proven theory even before the Wright Brothers.

The other thing you have to consider is the pilot. Actually, TWO pilots; the co-pilot is an excellent back-up guy in the event the captain of the plane can't fly for whatever reason.

These days pilots are mostly hired from the military. Who better to fly a bus with wings than a guy who went to school in Top Gun? Or maybe flew fighter missions over Iraq? Or maybe even flew with the Thunderbirds? In the olden days, like back in the '60s, pilots went to flight school, sometime paid for by the airline, then logged a ton of flight hours, then became a co-pilot until he earned enough seniority to become a captain. Today, pilots mostly have aeronautical degrees, have literally thousands of hours of flight time logged and can handle just about any mishap you can imagine in flight.

That crew up in the cockpit is about the best thing you can have going for you when you board that plane. Have faith in them and remember they've probably flown F-16s, or C-130s, or V-22s before working for whatever airline you'll be flying. Relax! And take a valium.
      Behind every successful man is a surprised woman.

Comment

I have no advice because no one, and I mean no one, will ever get me on a plane.

Comment

DH has a fear of taking off & landing, his hands get sweaty & he is scared, he just sits there so quiet. I just keep talking to him about anything to try to keep his mind off of it. A lot of people have this. My fear is the price of airline tickets and making sure I take food with me, plus hoping that we do get there on time. Oh DH doesn't like to change planes either, I try to get direct flights. Just remember you are not alone, read a book, take something to relax you.

Comment

I'm with Allie! Everyone in my family, except me, has flown, even my grandparents back in the 50's. I know it's, according to experts, safer than driving, but I'll pass.

Comment

I don't have a fear of flying, I have a fear of Crashing. Like Roset's DH, I do not like the take off and landing, also do not like how small the seats are now, elbow to elbow is not fun for 5 hours.

Comment

Air travel is not fun anymore , period. By the time you get there, early of course, go through security and all that goes with that, I am already exhausted. We fly a lot, and I am not afraid, but it's not fun.

Comment

I love the actual flying part, once I get in the plane. Getting into and out of and through the airports are such a pain in the butt any more that I doubt I'll fly again unless I absolutely have to.

Comment

i just don't have the chance to fly often, anywhere we go would cost a fortune to fly all of us.

but when i flew last year to my moms those two times, it was ok.
                    i didnt' like being jammedina tiny plane with a big stewardess that didn't fit down the asile, and her butt in my face. litterally. it was sick.

i am ok with the flying, i feel that if it is meant to crash then it's out of my hands, god will come get me when it's my turn.
                    I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

Originally posted by AddictedToLOST View Post
                      I don't have a fear of flying, I have a fear of Crashing. Like Roset's DH, I do not like the take off and landing, also do not like how small the seats are now, elbow to elbow is not fun for 5 hours.
                      Same here.
                      The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

I used to have a fear of flying, back before jets. But now it's just another way of transportation. Try driving cross country, or taking the train any distance and you'll appreciate the quickness of flying. Just keep yourself busy when you get on the plane, don't just sit there and think about what all could happen, read, knit, do crosswords, bring a sandwich and eat, talk to the person beside you and annoy the heck out of them, lol.

Comment

I think non-stop flights are best. Fewer times going up and down - when most of the problems seem to occur. I have heard over the years that it is better to fly during daylight hours if possible. Recently took a 14 hour flight. I anticipated claustrophobia. Didn't happen. Lots of movies, food and a really smooth flight. Not wild about flying, but I am getting better. Bring something to keep your mind busy. Magazines, crosswords, music, work!

Comment

I don't know if this helps or not, my fiancee was a pilot, and we flew many places in his plane. Honestly your only in danger about 1 minute of the whole time you fly, from engine start up to shut down. The first 20 seconds, and the last 20 seconds. He was also an engineer, so I was often quoted the odds of survival and everything else.

There are always two pilots both have about 10,000 hours of flying even before they got their current job. Then the airlines are always training them further (I used to work for an airline...). Also depending upon the plane, a lot of their jobs are already done by the plane, a great deal is automated.

StephanieM

Comment

I love flying but like a few others, I am just a little nervous taking off and landing.

Comment

Working...
                              X