Cake Flour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cake Flour

Seen a Martha Stewart recipe for Ultimate Chocolate Cake and it requires Cake Flour. What is the difference between that and regular? And can I use regular?

Re: Cake Flour

From What I Understand Cake Flour Is A Lighter Finer Flour, I've Never Bought It And Have Had No Problems With Cakes Requiring Cake Flour, I Think You Can Sift It A Time Or Two And It Helps.

Comment

Cake flour produces less "gluten", makes things more "air-y". You can sub...but results will be different.

Think of a soft, airhole-filled peice of moist cake...thats made with cake flour
      NOW think of an English muffin, more dense and not so moist...thats made with AP flour

Comment

I've been baking from scratch for 50 years and have never purchased cake flour. I just use 1 tbsp. less AP flour per cup of flour called for in the recipe.

Comment

Cake Flour Substitute Recipe

2 cups

* 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
          * 1/4 cup cornstarch

1. To make two cups of cake-and-pastry flour (cake flour), combine 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour with 1/4 cup cornstarch; proceed with your recipe.
          2. The easiest way to do this substitution is to put 2 tbsp of cornstarch in the bottom of a 1-cup measuring cup, then fill the cup as usual with all-purpose flour and level top. Repeat process to get your two cups.
          3. If you only need 1/2 cup of cake flour, put 1 tbsp cornstarch in bottom of 1/2 cup measuring cup, then fill and level as above.
          The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

Wow Thanks! Ive never used Cake Flour either, so Thanks Girly for that recipe for it. I didnt want to go out and buy a bag of it if I didnt have to.

I had a recipe for Devils Food cake. Always used regular flour. The texture would come out like pound cake, all solid, but the cake would weigh a ton. My poor cake would get made fun of because of the weight, until they tasted it! It was sooooooo good. It was in a Good Housekeeping cookbook?? that my mom subscribed to back in the early 70's and I have no clue what she did with the books.

Comment

Working...
            X