I miss being here... update on Mum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I miss being here... update on Mum

Yesterday was Mum's 90th birthday and there were two parties planned... one at the nursing home with all the residents and immediate family... the second one a catered 'do' for 55 family and friends. Mum woke up happy yesterday, looking forward to being the centre of attention for the day but after she had lunch, disaster struck. She had a bad fall and was taken to hospital by ambulance. My eldest sister and I stayed with her all day and night, not leaving her until this morning. Mum has a broken pelvis, lacerations and bruising and... of all things... amputation of half of her ear... When she fell, her head hit the corner of the dining table and that's what did the damage. She lost a lot of blood and when we got to the hospital, she quietly told me that she thought she was "done for", meaning this was the end.

Just like the strong woman she is, she has come through fighting and is now back in her room at the nursing home. She remembers everything that happened and is sad that her parties were cancelled. I told her that they're not cancelled... just deferred until she's back on her feet.

*sigh* ...caring for elderly parents is an adventure but you know what? ...I wouldn't miss even a single minute of it. I'm closer to Mum now than I have ever been in my life and I love it...
    I really want a smoke detector that shuts off as soon as I shout…“I’M ONLY COOKING!!”

Re: I miss being here... update on Mum

Chay, I'm sorry. But, I'm happy the nursing home is going well.

I have hospice coming in for my mom now. But, things just keep getting worse and I'm getting more and more exhausted.
    The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

Glad to hear from you! Hope your Mum gets some needed healing. Mine fell labor day-she ended up with 10 stitches in her knee, 2 black eyes and bruises over her entire body.....This is the 2nd time she fell this month-she is 82 and Dad is an amputee and he is 84 but he insists they do not need to go in assisted living!
      Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

girly... I know what it's like but hang in there and cherish every moment you share. It's exhausting but in the end, you won't regret the time you take. Use all the services you can. Mum is in a beautiful nursing home with staff who genuinely love their jobs. It makes a big difference. We see her every day and are welcome there any time we want... day or night. It was a huge weight lifted to have so many people helping. Best wishes to you and yours.
        I really want a smoke detector that shuts off as soon as I shout…“I’M ONLY COOKING!!”

Comment

nommie... that's hard when they are too stubborn to accept much needed help. Does your Mom use a walking aid? My Mum has one with 4 wheels and she can't walk at all without it. The problems happen (like yesterday) when she forgets that she needs it and tries to take off without it. The staff are very vigilent but sometimes nothing will prevent the inevitable. My thoughts are with you.

Comment

Chayote, I have been missing you my friend.
            I was so happy to read about the Birthdays and as I read further I was shocked to hear about what happened. I bet you were all scared to death! I am so glad that your Mum is alright! Poor sweet lady! She sounds like a tough cookie. It helps when to have a good strong mind when a person is her age.
            My heart is with you GirlyGirl and you too Nommie. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.
            Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

So sorry to hear about your mother Chayote. You are in my thoughts.

Comment

Chayote,

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((jan))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))))

I am right there with you......Dear Dad is in a rehab here in my home town and is fighting to get his strength back so he can go home. And I love every minute with him. He got there because he fell, in his home, but did not break anything, and we are hoping to get him back there soon.

some days are very long, some are very emotional, and I love my dad the most.

I wish your mum a speedy recovery. Hugs to you!

Comment

Glad your Mom got the medical attention she needed right away, hang in there.

Comment

(((((Jan))))) You brought tears to my eyes when you said you are closer now than ever before. You are both so blessed to have each other
                    Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X