Anybody still can?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody still can?

I still do applesauce, apple pie filling and am going to do grape jelly today for the first time. I have done tomatoes in the past. Quit doing those when we moved and I did not plant a garden any longer. Plus those seemed so watery and messy.
    It is so much work but I feel such a sense of accomplishment when I am done. Sure makes me appreciate what our ancestors did to survive.
    Here I am doing it with a gas stove, hot water, dishwasher and air conditioning on if it is too hot out! Then I can order a pizza if I am too tired to make dinner.
    I just love how the old ball jars look all filled up with different fillings.
    Last edited by LAM3; 09-06-2008, 06:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Re: Anybody still can?

Yes I still can. I make my own dills, beet pickles and sweet mixed pickles, tomato sauce and pasta sauce, peach chutney, canned cranberry sauce, and a really good spicy tomato salsa. I usually buy a half or full bushel of tomatoes and cucumbers at the farmers' market. That way I can get it all done at one time instead of dribs and drabs as stuff matures in my garden.
    Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

Always wanted to AND have a garden, never got around to it, so I probably never will do so. Maybe I'll just hit the local orchards and farmers markets, buy in bulk and can from that stuff.
      The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

I am sitting here in my tomato stained T-shirt and peppery smelling fingers! Yesterday my husband and I started early, and canned 47 pints of spaghetti sauce. Today we're getting ready to fill jars of picante sauce and tomato salsa. Our picante sauce we've made several times before, but the salsa is a new canning recipe. I look forward to canning every September!

Comment

i can.

I haven't in awhile, i have made jalapeno pickles, and squash pickles, jelly's, and some salsa's, sweet salsa's and traditional red hot salsa. i'm not that good at it, guess that's why i haven't done it in awhile, it's alot of work, to me it is, i'd rather freezer cook.
          I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

I can on and off. My family won't eat anything but salsa and we can't grow corn. I wanted to do cherries this year and with working and all I missed them. I think it's awesome and if I had a helpmate, I would gladly live more off of the land.

Comment

HA! It took me a few minutes to catch on to your question. I was thinking "CAN WHAT". When I saw tomatoes I knew what you were talking about. I used to - my grandmothers recipe for strawberry fig preserves - but I have not made that in ages. Sounds really good right now.

Comment

I have canned and also enjoy it. I limit it to preserves & jams these days. They taste so much better than store bought.
                Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Yep We Can. This Year We Did: Green Beans, Red Beets, Pickled Red Beets, Tomato Juice, Stewed Tomatoes. We Also Froze: Asparagus And Corn.
                  SHEL

Comment

Working...
                  X