Did you ever stumble across something blew your mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you ever stumble across something blew your mind

In the past years I've been trying to find some of the recipes from my past. Ones that my grandmother made often. She died in 1991 and I've just about given up hope of finding any of them. I was looking through a cookbook last night that my mother had in her collection. I've looked at this book a number of times and I usually just skim the recipes, not the names of the recipes because i'm trying to find recipes that will work with my ds's food allergies.
    My grandmother used to often make a coffee cake that was given to her by her SIL. Here I was staring at a recipe and just happened to look up at the name of it and there is my aunts' name staring back at me. I was floored...and so excited. Finally, one of the recipes that I wanted.
    I looked at the front of the book and it was from the Baptist Church in a neighboring town. Yes, my aunt was a Baptist.
    I'm gonna post this recipe in the tried and true section. It's really quite good.

Re: Did you ever stumble across something blew your mind

My mother died a few years ago and, yes, I have stumbled across one of her recipes before. I miss her so much.
    Behind every successful man is a surprised woman.

Comment

Well good for you Allie!!! How exciting. There is one recipe of my aunt's (who died in 1978 three months before my wedding) that is her home-made spaghetti sauce. I have never had anyone's like it and I cannot duplicate it no how. She used to make it with my grandmother, who passed away in 1984 and my other aunt who lived next door to them in a duplex hasn't a clue because no one seems to know where all those recipes went to

So my DD doesn't have to "wonder" how to make my family recipes, I recently started a project and mission to make her a family recipe cookbook. It's going to take me awhile but it'll be worth it she says!
      The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

I know where my grandmother's recipes went. Right after she died, we were cleaning out her house and my sister grabbed her recipe tree that she kept on the countertop. As we were walking out, my cousin told her that she could go home and type them up on the computer and make a copy for all of us. Guess what? Never saw them again and no one seems to know where they are. I want to scream. Her apple pie was to die for, and she made a cottage cheese pie that I just loved. I've never found a recipe to compare. I think I found her sugar cookie recipes among her newspaper clippings, but I don't know what kind of margaring/butter she used and I just cannot duplicate the exact taste....close, but not exact.

Comment

Just curious Allie, what's your cousin have to say for herself about where they went? I would probably be dropping hints every now and then and not let up, lol. That's just the way I am about recipes, I get almost obsessed until I get what I want. Thank goodness for the internet too I've been able to piece some mysteries together through it.

Yes, it really sucks when those old recipes get lost. It's not just about the recipe, it's about much more than that.......it's about generations and lives and heritage........well, you know what I mean.
          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

The cousin that took them is not the one that has them now. Her sister took them and apparently cannot find them. I just know they don't want us to have them because I cannot see them all not wanting copies for themselves. Granny was very special to all of us and I know they would have wanted copies of those recipes.
            I think it was a jealousy thing. My mom got the bulk of granny's estate because their dad died before granny did, and I think they feel like they didn't get what they should have, so they are keeping the recipes for themselves. I cannot prove any of this, but it's the only thing that makes sense.

Comment

That's sad that your family won't share the recipes. I've bought recipe boxes at garage sales and auctions before and always thought how sad it was that the family didn't want those recipes to pass along.

Comment

Allie, maybe if the opportunity ever comes up, you can perhaps convey to them how Granny would've felt so disappointed in their actions. That's what I always think......how would that loved one feel if they were still here to have a say in it all.

Yes, families are something with the petty jealousy that goes on and it usually rears it's ugly head when people die and there's money/estate/personal belongings involved.

Comment

I did stumble across something of my mother's that blew my mind....

When I was but a teen, my parents went out of town for the weekend, leaving me in charge of the house and the dog. Naturally, being a teen and nosy, I snooped through their bedroom. Imagine my alarm when I came across the Joy of Sex and a vibrator in my mother's nightstand! I still don't think I've recovered from the shock. LOL
                  Behind every successful man is a surprised woman.

Comment

My wonderful mother passed away in 1990; I had told her that the only thing I wanted were her recipes and my sister knew it. No one knows what happened to the recipes - yeah, right! I always consoled myself with the fact that I had many of her recipes written in her own hand. Well, after I dropped my recipe box and had a complete mess, I decided to take all of the recipes and put them on a disc; I had a shoebox with the recipes in it sitting on the computer desk. My DH thought it was a box of junk and threw it away (he says he didn't, but where did they go?). I have been searching my house and basement for over 5 years and still haven't found them. I can't do a lot of cooking now but would like to have passed them on to my sons and nieces. I keep praying I'll open some box up and they will 'pop' out!

Comment

I don't really see them anymore. Our only tie was my grandmother. When they were about 10 and 12, their parents got a divorce and it was not known, but they weren't my uncles biological children. They don't know to this day (unless their mom finally told them). My grandmother didn't want the scandal, so she just paid the child support, but my uncle pulled away from them. We didn't see them too often after that.
                      I think when my grandmother died, they felt left out and hurt. My grandmother gave them some land and a little money, but nothing associated with the house or the personal items inside. My mom did let them come and get some stuff, but I have a feeling that they thought they should get more. I also think that they thought that they would get half the house, but it didn't turn out that way.

Comment

Oh Janni, how sad!!! {{{{{HUGS}}}}}} That's so heartbreaking for you (and Allie too). Luckily, I still have some recipes in my own mother's handwriting (she died when she was only 36 and I was just shy of 13) and I know how I would feel if anything ever happened to those recipes. They are getting more yellow and more brittle by the year and I probably should do something about them. Prayers that they turn up someday when and where you least expect it......and prayers to all those who are in the same predicament!

Comment

my cousins have gramma's hand written recipes, i can look at them.
                          but i cannot have any. their mom got her house, and they took care of her when she was ill. cleaning her out of all the things they wanted all along.

I have spent the summer hand writing my recipes for my kids. handwriting is so mch more special. i let my kids write their favorite recipes, and put them in the book.

i have my moms, she's too sick to cook now, so i have her hand written cook book.
                          i don't have her box yet tho.

i think that recipes are what melts the family together, since so many families have the best of times while eating and cooking, laughing and joking around sharing and enjoying each other's company. things that certain people cook is what many people have as a connection to after they are gone. "oh aunt linda always made that, oh my gosh yes! she did, remember that time when she made those spiniach balls and trey said they would make her boobs grow? and when christmas came around amy slapped him for lying to her"
                          oh my gosh that was hysterical. amy killed herself eating those spinach balls that thanksgiving.
                          I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

Quite the story teller you are, Stella! Too funny about those spinach balls! Is that a real or made up story??!!!

Comment

my cousin trey told amy at thanksgiving that spinach balls make your boobs grow.
                              amy pigged out on them. trey is the oldest grandson, and amy is the youngest. trey always got great thrills out of tourmenting amy.

christmas came around a month later and 12 year old amy came flying out of that car and went right up to trey, chewed him a new hole in her head "you lied to me!! i can't believe you said that to me! " those things were SICK and i ate all of them because I listened to you!! i hate you trey, i really hate you" and she smacked him, she was mad and must have been for a long time. but the entire family laughs at her. poor amy being the youngest wasn't the best place to be in the this family. she came along 7 years after the one before her, we all thought we were all done.
                              I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

Working...
                              X