Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dinner....

No, this is not the What's For Dinner Thread LOL

Who eats dinner "as a family" at the dining table. We always did unless the kids had an activity that prevented them from coming to the table. We never had the TV on either so we would have conversations. Sometimes DD would put on background music which was always nice.

Now that the kids are/have started families of their own, DH and I eat in the family room and watch movies or our favorite shows.
    "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Re: Dinner....

We always did when the kids were growing up.,until the boys had football practice, and DD had cheerleading. Microwaves came out about that time and they were really the greatest invention. no more soggy or over cooked food.

For a short time we tried eating in the den,while watching wheel of fortune,but for several years now we are back to the kitchen table. I/m more comfortable there.
    I organize chores into catagories.
    Things I won't do now; things I won't do later; things I'll never do.

Comment

Just the two of us, but we eat dinner together at the kitchen table, time to catch up on the day. TV is usually on in the background.

Comment

everyone who is home will eat at the dinner table together.
        only thing that prevents someone from being there is work. when ds has scouts we eat 30 minutes earlier so we can all be together.
        we set the table together and we eat together.
        tv cannot be seen from the table.
        before DD started working and before DD was in band etc we were at the table every night regardless. but as they got into the teen years there are a few things that prevents all of us eating together.

it's a rule in my house. i have friends who make dinner and tell kids to go get it.
        and they eat where ever they want too in front of the tv or in their rooms... i won't have that.
        I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

We eat at the table with the TV off. My granddaughter always says the blessing before we eat.

Comment

We always sat down together as a family growing up. We did also when the kids were little/teenagers, as they got where they were gone most of the time and older. We would mostly fend for ourselves during the week, but weekends is always a sit down dinner, either just us or if the kids are there.

We had our best conversatons, "talks" at the supper table, we talked about anything and everything. We have always been an open family, if the kids wanted to know about something, we told them the truth, to the extent they could understand it. No finding kids in the cabbage patch, etc.

We still have good conversations with the family dinners when they're all over.

Comment

We eat at the table most nights. If we pick up fast food I will sometimes allow them to eat in front of the TV if there is something cool on, but 98% of the time we eat out our table. If we are at the table the TV is off and there are no exceptions unless we are under a tornado watch and then it is on in the background in case of a tornado warning. We have tornado sirens, but I still like the TV on during storms
              Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

We used to when the kids where little. When DS2 started gymnastics (age 3) DS1 and I would take a blanket and a packed dinner to DS2 practice. We would eat and he would do his homework. Once DS1 hit high school I was running DS2 to practice and we would all eat at home after. Now every one is every which way. I do try to plan a family dinner at least a couple of nights a week, even if it means not eating until 9:30 at night.

We alway all eat together on the weekends. Usally outside on the deck.

Comment

We do exactly what Ro-Ro does!

Comment

We eat together every day at the table. Even if DH is out of town DS and I will eat at the table - no matter what it is. DD (6 months) has to sit in her highchair at the table with us - otherwise she will let us know she is not happy. Guess she feels left out!

Growing up we always ate dinner together at the table. Was the same for my parents growing up as well. My brother and his family do the same thing. Guess it is one of those traditions that is carried down from generation to generation.

Comment

When the children were at home, we ate at the table.
                      Our schedules are so different now that we just eat wherever.
                      During Holidays and company gatherings we sit at the table.
                      Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

arbys, i have coupons, lol

Comment

Usually we eat at the table in the kitchen, but use the dining room table for when we have company. I don't like the tv to be on, but sometimes will watch it if a storm is approaching or if I am by myself I always have the tv on for company.

Comment

I have a good friend who lets her family eat whatever they want when they want. She said this way she doesn't always have to cook a meal. Her little girl has been microwaving food since she was 5 years old. They never sit for a family meal at the dinner table. They are always in front of the TV or in the bedroom eating.

I have given my opinion on this to her and she said I'm "too structured".

When I take care of her little girl and she stays for dinner we sit at the dinner with everyday china and nice glasses and silverware as I did for my children.

I feel this is so important for young children.
                            "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Comment

Originally posted by TxRogue View Post
                              arbys, i have coupons, lol
                              I love Arby's sandwiches, the original ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X