I can't believe this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't believe this

Birthday Registrys? Come on. One of my oldest friends from school is having a 16th B day party for her daughter. She sent the invite by evite, and had a list of gift suggestions. Some of them were way too much. WII games, XBox games? Those things are so expensive. My sister suggested a store here called Game Stop but they sell used games, just my luck I get her a game that doesn't work. She did say she likes Goofey, and CD's and jeans and t shirts. But just like the holiday thread things are tight. I didn't want to say no to the invite since I moved to PA we haven't been keeping in touch as much as we used to.
    www.freewebs.com/auntanniescakes

I am one of 57 million (who did not vote for BO)

Re: I can't believe this

Wow!! That's a new one, gift registry for a 16yr old. I would go with the t-shirts or c/d's that's a little cheaper, or maybe a gift card & t-shirt. DD's friends at 16 b/d rented limos & out to a resturant, some even rented a hotel room (adjoining so parents could stay next door to keep an eye on them) Did you ever see the show on MTV Sweet Sixteen? Way over the top with a party. DD got a dresser & bed, I thought I was going over the top, but she will always have it. Good luck figuring out what to get that girl.

Comment

Perhaps just sent a gift certificate in a nice card and just say, sorry, cannot make it. Don't know how far away this person lives since you said you "moved" to PA, but that's your time AND gas money you'd have to worry about. Not to mention if it's far, you might have the expense of a hotel. Even shop on Amazon for something, sometimes you can find great deals there too.

I am with you all the way on how out of hand expenses get with the gift giving. I'm becoming more and more of a Scrooge all year round the older I get because I am finding just for myself I want LESS stuff in my life @ 51 not MORE!!!! However, I know you couldn't expect a 16 year old to look at it that way.........it's taken me YEARS, LOL!!!!!

P.S. About these registries.........I've seen in our local paper in the not too distant past about people having these grand HUGE "debutane" parties for their 16 year olds...........Sweet 16 parties I know are nothing new and neither are debutane parties, but come on, some of these are as lavish as wedding receptions!!! I mean what's to look forward to when they DO finally get married some day. Geezie Pete!!!!
      Last edited by krubinic; 09-07-2008, 08:43 PM.
      The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

I moved from DE to PA so it is only about an hour and a half away. So, that is not too bad, and her daughter is a very sweet girl who is also a special needs child. She is smart as a whip but when she was born they did something to her and her vocabulary is limited. We were out today trying to find something to get her. Plus, she doesn't like make up or perfume like most girls her age, she loves sports but I don't want to get her something she won't like. I guess I will just keep wracking my brain.
        www.freewebs.com/auntanniescakes

I am one of 57 million (who did not vote for BO)

Comment

that is incredibly rude.

sorry, but a burthday gift is my choice if i even want to bring a gift. and if i choose too then it's my choice what i select. if you did buy a used game from game stop it will work, but i guarantee it wouldn't be accecptable in her opinion for a gift, you could get a gift card for game stop but then again,

go with the wal mart t shirt.

i just think that's the rudest thing I have herd in a long time.
          I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

Ah, I understand the situation now that you've given some more detail about the girl's background. I'm sure you will do fine in coming up with something........maybe find out if she has a favorite sports team and get her something of that nature. Bleacher Bums or Dicks Sporting Goods (if you have them) have great sports themed gift ideas.
            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

I would definitely go with a gift card. She would probably have a lot of fun buying what she wants. Plus, we have noticed alot of kids at the parties we have attended just going the cash route, because of gas prices and this way they can get maybe an expensive item by combining the gift cards.

dragun

Comment

What are they serving to eat, that's the main thing.. lol..

Comment

Originally posted by kiop View Post
                  What are they serving to eat, that's the main thing.. lol..
                  yes !!! are they entertaining you also? or a party where you just bring a gift and eat weinersnitzels? (hot dogs) lol
                  I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

Whatever happened to the days of a gift being something chosen specifically for that person from you? I think there is way too much greediness. "If I don't get this I don't want it."

Comment

why is a gift expected? what happen to just come celebrate with me turning 16

Comment

I think using a birthday registry is very presumptuous and rude, too. Such high expecations and usually not much appreciation. Kids don't understand our economic times but parents should know better. When I turned 16, I had 4-5 girls over and we went sledding. My mom made a cake. There were no presents but we sure had fun. Oh, for the good old days.

Comment

Working...
                        X