Dog Medicine..any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Medicine..any tips?

My dog has been so sick lately. She had a stroke last week and the vet has put her on 4
    different meds, 3 pills and 1 liquid. She doesnt have much of an appetite, so its hard to hide the meds in food and get her to take it. When I crush the pills and put them in her water she turns her nose up at it. I've tried hiding the pills in vienna sausages, she eats around it and spits the pill out. Ice cream didnt work either. Her favorite was always jelly beans so I tried hiding pills in those but she wont touch them now. Chicken didnt work. Vet also said to mix unflavored Pedialyte in her water, and she wont touch that either. Have you all tried anything that worked for you that I havent thought of yet?

Re: Dog Medicine..any tips?

Sorry, have always been able to hide meds in food. They do sell treats with a hole for a pill. Read a long time ago that you should put the pill way back on the tongue. Worth a shot. The only other thing I can think of is a syringe or dropper to put the liquid in the back of her throat. If that works, maybe you could crush the pills, put them in liquid and use the dropper.

Comment

lucy won't take her meds either, it's a fight, my husband holds her nose up, shoves the pill down her throat (holds her mouth open so her lips are under her teeth) shoves the pill holds her mouth shut, and rubs her throat. hold the nose up, rub her throat. can't lose.
      if the pup won't take it on her own, you will have to force it.
      I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

Greenies sells something called "Pill Pockets". But if your dog can dig the pill out of food, he can probably get it out of these too. Have you tried crushing it up and putting it in wet dog food? The Humane Society also has a pill ejector. Kinda like a syringe only you put a pill in it and shoot it down the throat.

Comment

Stella's got the right idea, tossing them in the back or thier mouth, holding shut then rubbing her throat. We also lightly blow on her nose, so she has to lick her nose, there by swallowing the pills. Works every time. Good luck, Laura

Comment

just make sure that when you hold the mouth open, you also have their lips over their teeth, so they won't bite you, or fight you with the discomfort.
            I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

i use cheese with riley. i fold cheese around the pill and that usually works, as he loves cheese.
              SHEL

Comment

we use cheese too. I use string mozzarella pieces. But my silly Rottie has to have her pills forced same routing that others mentioned.

Comment

my dog wally used to spit his pills out..until my dd discovered smothing peanutbutter around the pill..wally loves it..so far he hasn't spit out his pill.

Comment

go to a pet store (or ask your vet) and get a thing that looks like a but shot (without the needle). You put the pill in that, stick it down the throat and push the thing in. It saves your hands and the pill is too far down the throat for the dog to gag it out. Once you get the pill down the throat, stroke the throat downward.

Comment

I give our oldest sheltie a dog aspirin morning and night and what I do in her food dish I put some of her wet dog food and then put the aspirin in and then some more wet dog food on top, then top it with some dry food, that way the aspirin is kind of dissolved in some of the wet food by the time she eats all the dry food.

Comment

While expensive, I find the pill pockets are wonderful. My beagle will take her medication in one of those, whereas with anything else, she apparently smells it before the fact and the pill is left behind.

Comment

if the vet wants her to also take the pedialyte I would try this method that works for our cats and liquid medicene. Take a baby liquid medicine syringe fill it and put it in the corner of your doggys mouth and squirt it in.

I hope she starts feeling better.

dragun

Comment

Why does your dog get aspirin? The poor pooch!
                            Behind every successful man is a surprised woman.

Comment

When our cat gets sick, it's a 2 person job to get the pill down, one holds the cat in a towel other one opens mouth & pops it in, same as everyone said close mouth & rub the throat. I got to look into that pill shooter, never heard of it. So far, she isn't on medication right now, that pill shooter sounds good.

Comment

Working...
                              X