• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Chain's Biscuits Beat Grandma's?

What Chain's Biscuits Beat Grandma's?
    Secrets Of Homemade Biscuits Duplicated At One Chain
    J. Scott Wilson, Staff writer

UPDATED: 11:54 am EDT September 3, 2008

In the South, making good biscuits is almost a religion. Secrets, both of recipe and procedure, are kept tightly guarded, passed usually from mother to daughter and rarely, if ever, written down.

In Texas, where biscuits and gravy are just about the official state breakfast, restaurants rise and fall solely on the quality of their biscuits. Be they big as a doorstop or small as a silver dollar, if they're not light, flaky and capable of drinking up copious amounts of butter, they'll be summarily rejected.

This is not to slight the baking efforts of the rest of the country. Every region has its own specialty, and all are worthy of praise. But biscuit craft has undergone the greatest adoption by fast-food titans. For good or ill, just about every drive-through joint that does breakfast has its own version of "homemade" biscuits. McDonald's, in an interestingly honest choice of words, refers to its as "homemade-tasting," as it's obvious the biscuit in your bag didn't come from the manager's home Kenmore oven.

That's not to say that all these biscuits are bad. Far from it. Overall, the quality of the offerings was surprisingly good. With the exception of one, none would pass for your Aunt Martha's, but considering the time and effort involved in making homemade biscuits, the drive-through is a fair trade. In this article, we'll match up the breakfast biscuits of all the major chains (sorry, KFC) and find a winner. All biscuits were eaten plain, without butter or jelly.

All biscuits are graded on an A-F scale for appearance, texture and taste. Nutritional information, if available, is provided for each biscuit.

Burger King: 260 calories, 13 grams fat, 0 cholesterol, 790 mg sodium, 31 grams carbs

This was a dead-up-the-middle average biscuit. The crust was a bit leathery, but not unpleasant, and the center was slightly gummy but melted nicely on the tongue. The taste was a bit floury, with not much of a buttery finish. Final grade: C+.

Jack In The Box: 190 calories, 9 grams fat, 0 cholesterol, 500 mg sodium, 24 grams carbs.

The Jack In The Box biscuit was the smallest one in the test, and one of the smallest in flavor, as well. There was little difference in taste between crust and middle, and no buttery note at all. JIB has done a great job of pushing the breakfast envelope with other offerings, but the biscuits lagged with a final grade of D.

McDonald's: 240 calories, 11 grams fat, 0 cholesterol, 680 mg sodium, 31 grams carbs

As far as appearance, this was one of the best, with a golden-brown crust topping a nice, tall biscuit. The flavor, however, was a bit of a letdown. That crust that looked so appetizing was tough and leathery, and the middle, while buttery, left a strong greasy aftertaste that wasn't pleasant. Final grade: C

Hardee's: 190 calories, 9 grams fat, 0 cholesterol, 500 mg sodium, 24 grams carbs

Hardee's offering looked the most like a homemade biscuit of any in the test. It was a little taller on one side than the other, and not perfectly round. It also tasted very close to homemade, with just enough buttery smoothness and a light crust. It was a bit doughy in the middle, missing an excellent lightness by just a touch. Final grade: A-

Chick-fil-A: 260 calories, 11 grams fat, 0 cholesterol, 670 mg sodium, 38 grams carbs

If your grandmother is anywhere near your computer, now would be the time to shepherd her out of the room.

Is she gone?

OK. Chick-fil-A biscuits are at least as good as hers. These are light, fluffy, lightly buttery marvels that taste like they're produced by an army of highly experienced grandmothers living somewhere in the back of the restaurant. The crust is perfect, lightly brown and slightly crispy, and the middle simply melts in your mouth. Final grade: A+.

Breakfast may be the most important meal of the day, and if you choose carefully, it can also be the most satisfying. Biscuit craft has improved by leaps and bounds in the drive-through world, and you just might be surprised!

Copyright 2008, Internet Broadcasting. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    The story What Chain's Biscuits Beat Grandma's? is provided by LifeWhile.
    Last edited by kirkland; 09-08-2008, 06:37 PM. Reason: add spacing between paragraphs

Re: What Chain's Biscuits Beat Grandma's?

i don't know who wrote this article, but if he or she thinks that chick fil a biscuits are close to gramma's biscuits, then his or her gramma cannot make a decent biscuit.

chick fil a biscuits are gummy and gooey. they are horrible.

there isn't a chain restaurant out there that can compare to a home made biscuit, of gramma's.

they can compare the biscuits among themselves, but please do not throw grandma in there..
    I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

Hardee's biscuits here are pretty good.
      The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

Did you see Paula's Best show last weekend, this girl's Grandma made her bisquits & gravy and Grandma died she didn't have the receipe but it wasn't sausage gravy, so Paula made the bisquits and gravy with bacon grease. The girl was about to cry, so happy that Paula made the same thing she grew up with and it tasted like her Grandma's. I'm not from the South but that girl was so cute and I think Paula was so loving & told the girl you can do it. Seems the girl wasn't much of a cook. It really was a nice show not like the Paula's Party.

Comment

ok, I am not from the south or texas. But what do you all, who would know a good biscuit think of Cracker Barrel's. These are the only biscuit that I absolute love! I normally will only eat the middle of a biscuit, because that outsides are always overly greasy and yucky in my opinion. But not Cracker Barrels, yummy in my opinion.

Dragun

Comment

Originally posted by roset View Post
            Did you see Paula's Best show last weekend, this girl's Grandma made her bisquits & gravy and Grandma died she didn't have the receipe but it wasn't sausage gravy, so Paula made the bisquits and gravy with bacon grease. The girl was about to cry, so happy that Paula made the same thing she grew up with and it tasted like her Grandma's. I'm not from the South but that girl was so cute and I think Paula was so loving & told the girl you can do it. Seems the girl wasn't much of a cook. It really was a nice show not like the Paula's Party.
            My mom always made gravy from bacon grease too.
            The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

We are not from the south but my Mom always had a tin can filled with bacon grease , she would reheat pasta with it & even fry red tomatoes with it. Once someone in the house threw it out, my Mom had a fit. I grew up with so much crap, chicken defrosting on the counter( no microwaves or anyone telling us about germs) How I made it til 55yrs I don't know, Mom in this day of age did it all wrong. She cooked breakfast everyday, bacon & eggs & toast, lunch a sandwich with chips & pickle, plus dinner, washed clothes & hung them outside on the line to dry. Yep I must be so bad with all the homemade food & germs that I am still alive. all the bad carbs, and all the other crap, I am still here. I am sure 10yrs from now, that I did bad crap with my DD they will have better info and all the crap I fed her will be bad too. We always did have veggies & fruit too. But we never went to fast foods, not much around at that time a few Mc Donalds but always Mom was cooking. Ice Cream man came around but Mom said I got ice cream at home, she got cones & did double dips to make it better than him but I really wanted to buy his ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Stella View Post
                i don't know who wrote this article, but if he or she thinks that chick fil a biscuits are close to gramma's biscuits, then his or her gramma cannot make a decent biscuit.

chick fil a biscuits are gummy and gooey. they are horrible.

there isn't a chain restaurant out there that can compare to a home made biscuit, of gramma's.

they can compare the biscuits among themselves, but please do not throw grandma in there..

I completely agree with you! My grandmother made the best biscuits. I remember going to stay with her during the summer and spending time with her in the kitchen! What great memories!!

Comment

The ones from the Whole Foods breakfast bar are the best I've ever had.
                  www.southernjewishprincess.com

www.funnynotslutty.com

Comment

Memories are flooding in.........
                    MeMaws bicuits with real butter and blackberry jam...yummy!
                    We always had bacon gravy too...
                    Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

i did see that paula episode she fried crabs after that. we did ours a bit differently. mom always made them.

bacon grease is essential in sausage gravy, i have never made a small batch always a ton of gravy it seems to just grow when i make it lol

i think biscuits vary through out the states. my gramma didn't use a biscuit cutter, she rolled them in her hands, and put in a cast iron skillet, and pressed them all down.

gramma's biscuits with may haw jelly and a dab of sour cream on top. ohhhhh that's me and grandpa eating together....
                      I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

I love Cracker Barrel's the best!

Nicki

I also like Mary B's, you can buy them at Walmart.
                        Last edited by wessnicki; 09-09-2008, 10:27 AM.

Comment

I've been buying those frozen ones in the blue bag, Pillsbury I think. Better than any I've ever tried to make at home.

Comment

None beat my Grandma's! Ang, like you I use the frozen. I have been making biscuits since I was 6 but the frozen are just too easy.
                            Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

I Never Had My Grandma's Biscuits. But Mine Are Better Than Any Store Bought Or Restaurant Ones I've Had. I Make Sour Cream Drop Biscuits!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X