• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liver Disease Plagues Obese Adolescents

WOW - This is very scary!!!

Liver Disease Plagues Obese Adolescents

POSTED: 2:16 pm EDT September 7, 2008

TRENTON, N.J. -- It's another hazard to American teens caused by obesity.

Some overweight teens have severe liver damage caused by too much body fat. And a few of them have even needed liver transplants.

Experts warned that many more of them may need a new liver by the time they're in their 30s or 40s.

Some recent medical studies, and some doctors interviewed by The Associated Press, said the condition is being seen in kids in the United States, Europe, Australia and even some developing countries.

It's called nonalcoholic fatty liver disease -- and it can lead to cirrhosis and liver failure or liver cancer.

The American Liver Foundation and other experts estimate that 2 to 5 percent of American children over the age of 5 have the condition. Nearly all of them are obese or overweight.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Re: Liver Disease Plagues Obese Adolescents

Death due to liver disease is awful. My Husband died from Cirrhosis, and it was awful.
    That is very sad to hear that kids are expected to get it as young adults.
    Maybe through this info the parents can intervene while they are young and teach them to choose less fatty foods, before it is too late.
    Last edited by TexAnn; 09-08-2008, 07:06 PM.
    Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Originally posted by TexAnn View Post
      Death due to liver disease is awful. My Husband died from Cirrhosis, and it was awful.
      That is very sad to hear that kids are expected to get it as young adults.
      Maybe through this info the parents can intervene while they are young and teach them to choose less fatty foods, before it is too late.
      This is a very sensitive subject indeed. It *appears* that many children learn their eating habits from their parents. Kind of like if the parents smoke cigarettes, the kids are likely to smoke cigarettes. If the parents are obese, the kids are likely to be obese. I firmly believe this is a family issue and one that the whole family has to be behind.

OK, beat me up.
      Behind every successful man is a surprised woman.

Comment

Unfortunately, I had been diagnosed with NASH (Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis). It was found incidentally when I was having an abdominal u.s. for my gallbladder. Long story short, I had the GB out and during the surgery the general surgeon did a liver biopsy on me to confirm the NASH.

My surgeon told me that even if I only lost 10 lbs per year, it drastically helps reduce the enlarged liver disease. Easier said than done since I am in that peri-menopausal stage where all the fat goes to the belly in women.

As far as children, it is so sad because they are such victims of having to eat whatever their parents provide for them. And I'm sure many parents are not nutritionally educated, nor can they afford to buy "healthy" food. It's known that poorer families buy a lot of starches to make ends meet and fill themselves up. I am finding it is VERY expensive to eat a "cleaner" and nutritionally sound diet. Plus this country does not get the exercise like say Europeans do who walk everywhere.
        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

Children are not only the victims of what their parents feed them but also the victims of the physical limitations that their parents impose.

If parents could overcome their own paranoia and allow their children to play outside, without 24/7 supervision, there would be fewer paranoid, fat, quasi-agoraphobic, anti-social children.

This is a generational thing. This generation is so terrified of everything, that they have taught their children to be slugs who think they are safer by hiding in their holes and only touching the 'real world' thru the computer.
          Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

I seen this on the news a few days ago.

So sad to see this happening at so young of an age.

Comment

when we were kids and i'm 40, but we played outside all day long.
              we played board games, we had 3 tv channels and saturday was the best ever because the two and a half hour bugs bunny road runner show was on. planet of the apes was on shortly after that and that cleared the house, except for dad.
              mom cooked at home. every meal. eating out was a treat, and we ate at a choice of about 5 places. but it was rare we ate out.

today.
              kids are screen addicted.
              they are glued to the magic show on the screen weather it be a computer screen, a tv screen by a movie, that is so easily accessable, or a cartoon that is mezmerizing, a video game that is addicting. they eat out constantly.
              there is no exercise, there is not structured discipline on diet.
              schools here no longer have PE like I did. that time is filled with fighting for class time to study for the state testing. there is no more art class or recess.

school lunches are skimpy, kids are starving when they get home, and plow through food when they get home, and turn on the "magic screen"

where do we place the blame?
              I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

Working...
              X