Retinas & eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retinas & eyes

DH last Fri said he turned his head in work fast and all of a sudden he had flashing light coming from the corner of his eye, OK then Sat he had black floaters but no pain or anything just problem with the eye. Goes to work Monday, call his eye dr. who is a surgeon and talked to the girl to make appt. she said get in here now. So 8:30 he goes, seems he partical torn the retina and Dr. doesn't do retina so they got a Dr. to do it so DH comes home because he has an hr. to see this new Dr. Thinking it would be consultation and make an appt later, NO he goes & Dr. says we need to lazer this right now before it gets worse. Dr. went into waiting room saying to all patients with appts you will be about 20 late I got to do this, DH now is scare out of his mind. NO medication or anything, this guy does it in less than 15 min. DH has no drops or any instructions just come back in 2 days to make sure the retina is sealed. DH said I never went to a Dr to get this fast with appts. and is doing much better. Seems the older you get (DH is 56) the retinas shrink and can tear we were so lucky to be able to do it so fast. It is amazing how fast they can fix it without any medication. Please be careful if you see floaters in your eyes. Dr. said the flashing isn't that much of concern it's the floaters. All this started 8:30 & with seeing the second Dr. it was all done he was home at 12:30, DH never thought it was bad just needed drops or something. Thank God it was a little rip. Just want everyone to know, that if you have a problem like that, please take care of it right away, those Drs. were so nice to do it, guess they are use to it.

Re: Retinas & eyes

I have 2 friends who that happened to, and they had the laser surgery and they are fine now. If you don't get that fixed asap, you can become blind.

Comment

My DIL (just 30) had a detached retina about 8 yrs ago.....it fell apart a year ago and had to have laser surgery but part of it came loose 4 months ago and was repaired. However, just 2 weeks ago, she suddenly lost vision in that eye and they told her to get there ASAP. They took her into regular surgery (not laser) and pumped gas of some sort in it, put a 'buckle' on it and did something else, too (not sure). Anyhow, they say it should be good from now on. She still can't see out of it, but they keep assuring her she will. It's all been very frightening for all of us......she's a wonderful teacher, loves to read, loves her work. They said hers was caused because she was a premature baby (3 mo. premature) and her eyes were not fully developed, which makes sense.

She was very fortunate that she lives in Dallas and could get quickly to a world-renowned Retina Center.

Comment

These are scarey stories. Roset, I'm glad your DH went immediately to the doctor. Does anyone know just how a retina can become torn or detached? I mean without having any so called injury to eye? I remember 2 years ago on Xmas holidays I thought that I had stuff floating around my eyes cuz it seemed like I was always looking at darkish little spots here and there, once I even bent down to pick up "fluff" off the floor and realized there was nothing there. A friend mentioned 'floaters', I have never heard of that before.
        A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

Working...
        X