Anyone have this cookbook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have this cookbook?

Jan Karon's Mitford Cookbook and Kitchen Reader: Recipes from Mitford Cooks, Favorite Tales from Mitford Books (Mitford).

I just finished reading the first 5 of the 9-book series about life in Mitford, NC and all thru the books (fiction) there are so many mentions of the food they cooked the preacher and for their social events.......now I learn that there is a cookbook with all the recipes from the books.

I really don't want to buy the book because I don't cook much any more, but I really would love to have the recipe for the Marmalade Cake that was the highlight of every special dinner and bake sale and special occasion. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Thanks!

Re: Anyone have this cookbook?

Is this the recipe you are looking for ?

Esther's Orange-Marmalade Layer Cake

Yields: 1 cake, 10 to 12 servings
    For the Cake:

3 cups cake flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup (2 sticks) softened unsalted butter
    2 cups granulated sugar
    3 large eggs, at room temperature, beaten lightly
    1 tablespoon grated orange zest
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
    1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
    For the Orange Syrup:

1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    For the Filling:

1 cup orange marmalade
    For the Frosting:

3/4 cup well-chilled heavy cream
    3 tablespoons sugar
    3/4 cup well-chilled sour cream

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter two 9-inch round cake pans, line with parchment or waxed paper, and butter and flour the paper, shaking out the excess.
    2. In a bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, and salt.

3. In a bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter until combined, add the sugar, a little at a time, and beat the mixture until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, orange zest, and vanilla. Beat in 1/3 of the dry ingredients alternately with 1/2 of the buttermilk until combined well. Add half the remaining dry ingredients and the remaining buttermilk and beat until combined well. Finally, beat in the remaining dry ingredients until mixture is smooth.

4. Evenly divide the batter between the pans, smooth the surface, rap each pan on the counter to expel any air pockets or bubbles, then transfer to the oven. Bake for 45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to racks and cool in the pans for 20 minutes.

To Make the Orange Syrup:
    5. Meanwhile, make the orange syrup: In a bowl, stir together the orange juice and sugar until sugar is dissolved.

6. With a toothpick or wooden skewer, poke holes at 1/2-inch intervals in the cake layers and spoon the syrup over each layer, allowing the syrup to be completely absorbed before adding the remaining. Let layers cool completely.

To Make the Filling:
    7. In a small saucepan set over moderate heat, heat the marmalade until just melted. Let cool 5 minutes.

To Make the Frosting:
    8. In a bowl, whisk the heavy cream with the sugar until it forms firm peaks. Add the sour cream, a little at a time, and whisk until of spreading consistency.

To Assemble the Cake:
    9. Arrange one of the layers on a cake plate, carefully peel off the waxed paper, then spread 2/3 of the marmalade over the top, smoothing it into an even layer. Invert the remaining layer onto the top of the first layer, peel off the waxed paper and spoon the remaining marmalade onto the center of it, leaving a 1 1/4-inch border around the edge. Frost the sides and top of the border with the frosting, leaving the marmalade on top of the cake exposed. Or if you prefer, frost the entire cake, adding the marmalade as a garnish on top. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.

Comment

Esther's Orange Marmalade Cake
      Ingredients:For the cake
      1 cup unsalted butter, softened, more for greasing the pans
      3 1/4 cups cake flour, more for dusting the pans
      1 tablespoon baking powder
      1 teaspoon salt
      2 2/3 cups granulated sugar
      5 large eggs, at room temperature
      4 large egg yolks, at room temperature
      2/3 cup vegetable oil
      1 tablespoon grated orange zest
      2 teaspoons vanilla extract
      1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
      For the orange syrup
      1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
      1/4 cup granulated sugar

For the filling
      1 (12-ounce) jar orange marmalade

For the frosting
      1 cup heavy cream, chilled
      4 tablespoons granulated sugar
      1 cup sour cream, chilled

Directions:The cake. Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly butter three 9-inch round cake pans, line them with parchment paper, then lighly butter and flour the paper, shaking out the excess.
      Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Sift a second time into another bowl.
      In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until light in color, about 4 minutes. Add the 2 2/3 cups sugar in a steady stream with the mixer running. Beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the eggs and yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Be sure to stop at least once to scrape down the batter from the sides of the bowl. After all the eggs have been added, continue to beat on medium speed for 2 more minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the oil and beat for 1 minute.
      In a small bowl, combine the orange zest, vanilla, and buttermilk. Using a rubber spatula, fold in half of the dry ingredients. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add half of the buttermilk mixture. Fold in the remaining dry ingredients, scrape down the sides, and add the remaining buttermilk.

Pour the batter among the prepared pans, smooth the surface, rap each pan on the counter to expel any air pockets or bubbles, then place in the oven. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cakes cool in the pans on racks for 20 minutes.

The orange syrup. In a small bowl, stir together the orange juice and 1/4 cup sugar until the sugar is dissolved. While the cakes are still in the cake pans, use a toothpick or skewer to poke holes at 1/2-inch intervals in the cake layers. Spoon the syrup over each layer, allowing the syrup to be completely absorbed before adding the remainder. Let the layers cool completely in the pans.

The filling. Heat the marmalade in a small saucepan over medium heat until just melted. Let cool for 5 minutes.

The frosting. In a chilled mixing bowl, using the wire whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream with the 4 tablespoons sugar until stiff peaks form. Add the sour cream, a little at a time, and whisk until the mixture is a spreadable consistency.

To assemble the cake. Invert one of the cake layers on a cake plate and carefully peel off the parchment. Spread one-third of the marmalade over the top, smoothing it into an even layer. Invert the second layer on top of the first, peel off the parchment, and spoon another third of the marmalade on top. Place the third cake layer on top, remove the parchment, and spoon the remaining marmalade onto the center of it, leaving a 1 1/4-inch border around the edges. Frost the sides and the top border with the frosting, leaving the marmalade on top of the cake exposed. Or, if you prefer, frost the entire cake first, adding the marmalade as a garnish on top.
      Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.

Excerpted from Jan Karon's Mitford Cookbook and Kitchen Reader

Comment

Oh, that was quick!! Thank ya'll so much!!

Good ol' Esther......she raised many a dollar for the local church by baking her secret recipe Marmalade Cake.

Doesn't that sound delicious??!!

Thanks again!!

Comment

I have heard about a cookbook for this but have not seen one. It would sure be good. Some of the meals described in their would be worth purchasing.

Huffle
          God grant me the serenity to accept the yarn I cannot return... courage to change the yarn I can... and the reciept to know the difference.

Comment

I LOVE the Mitford series!

Comment

I have checked the cookbook out from my local library. It is as delightful as the entire series of books.

Comment

I'll post this over in the recipe section.

Thanks for your help......

Comment

Working...
                X