Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone heard what's going on with Air Italia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone heard what's going on with Air Italia?

We are supposed to be leaving for a tour of Italy on October 11, via Air Italia. My husband heard something on the radio last week about the company filing bankruptcy; we called the travel agent who said not to worry, Chicago to Rome is the biggest route and that they were clearing out smaller route.

Okay, today he heard that the whole airline might be shut down either today or tomorrow; something to do with the unions. I can't find anything out about this - I am a bit panicky since everything is paid for. In fact, while DDS#2 was in Iraq, he wired money to friends we will be traveling with to surprise us and help pay for the airfare. I have a call into the travel agent but haven't heard anything from her. We did take out insurance for the trip but I'm not quite sure if it's covered as DH usually takes care of things like that.

If you have heard anything, please let me know.

thanks,
    janni

Re: Has anyone heard what's going on with Air Italia?

I looked and couldn't find out anything either. Sorry!
    Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

Originally posted by janni View Post
      We are supposed to be leaving for a tour of Italy on October 11, via Air Italia. My husband heard something on the radio last week about the company filing bankruptcy; we called the travel agent who said not to worry, Chicago to Rome is the biggest route and that they were clearing out smaller route.

Okay, today he heard that the whole airline might be shut down either today or tomorrow; something to do with the unions. I can't find anything out about this - I am a bit panicky since everything is paid for. In fact, while DDS#2 was in Iraq, he wired money to friends we will be traveling with to surprise us and help pay for the airfare. I have a call into the travel agent but haven't heard anything from her. We did take out insurance for the trip but I'm not quite sure if it's covered as DH usually takes care of things like that.

If you have heard anything, please let me know.

thanks,
      janni

I would suggest calling a different Travel agent and asking some questions. They may tell you something.

Comment

Call the air line, go on their web site.

Comment

Forgien carriers will generally rebook you at their expense. It happened to me last year when I was flying back from Greece, Air France went on strike, thankfully they rebook us to Continental airlines with no additional expenses. Read their website and try to stay intune with what's going on, a lot of that stuff is settled at the last moment.

Stephanie

Comment

Thanks for all the info - have called travel agent and have tried to contact the airlines but haven't had any feedback.

Steph, thanks for giving me something good to think about.

We have never taken a big vacation so this is probably our only one - we'll surely remember all of this!

Comment

Working...
            X