Magazine comment about Palin's son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magazine comment about Palin's son

I was in a store last night and upon browsing over the magazines', I think it was US Weekly or US People....something like that, a picture lower right front cover was of Palin's baby son who has Downs' Syndrome. I forget the wording, but it definately was not good! What is wrong with the media???????????????? Does anyone have this mag...and what exactly does it say?

Re: Magazine comment about Palin's son

JMHO but everyone, media included needs to leave those children alone.

Comment

I subscripe to People magazine and they had an articlel about Sarah Palin and her family, but I thought it was a nice article. They didn't single out the baby, just gave the facts. And had a special insert article explaining the facts about Down's Syndrome.
      This week's magazine has an article about McCain and his blended family.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernCookn View Post
        JMHO but everyone, media included needs to leave those children alone.
        i agree,the media has gone wild,they are out of control.

Comment

To me, both those magazines are "for entertainment only". People is a little better, but US Weekly is definitely what I call a "rag". You could go online and find the article then maybe write the editors and complain. Yeah, that's pretty dirty to say anything about a baby with Down's Syndrome.
          Behind every successful man is a surprised woman.

Comment

yeah, i think it was US Weekly. I'm trying to remember the blurb on the front cover in the lower bottom right corner. Anyone have it??????

Comment

that's the one (US) that said, 'sex, lies and scandals.' and had her picture with the baby. It's the same mag rag that recently had Obama pic hugging Michelle and the headline said "why she loves him'. Talk about media bias!

On the bright side.....after the Palin mag and headline came out, US had thousands of calls cancelling their subscription.

Comment

Originally posted by GayleTX View Post
                On the bright side.....after the Palin mag and headline came out, US had thousands of calls cancelling their subscription.
                How do you know that? Did they saw it in an article or on the news? Thats interesting

Comment

Mags put on the cover what gets people's attention...what they think will sell lots of copies. It's sad that money is more important than ethics.

Comment

Why wouldn't a Magazine put Sarah Palin on the cover, any magazine? She is the one that's in the news. Would it be different if Newsweek put her on the cover, or maybe they already have. Obama and his family have been on the cover of People, McCain and family is on the cover of this week's issue.

Comment

Hey Sabine, you make a good point. But I havent seen Biden on any covers...hmmmmmm

Comment

It's not the pictures - the picture is perfectly acceptable .....it's the negative, nasty headline designed to give people who just glance at covers a negative opinion and assume that she had done something scandalous about having that baby.

Comment

SewCute.......I heard it on the news and also saw it on ms news wesite......

"Us Weekly, which unlike People and OK!, chose a rather caustic cover line (“Babies, Lies and Scandal”) is said to have lost thousands of subscribers in just the first 24 hours following the printing of the issue.

“I’m hearing it’s 5,000, maybe more,” says one well-placed source in the industry. Another source claimed that as many as 10,000 readers have already cancelled their subscriptions. A spokesperson for Wenner Media, which publishes Us, says “it is completely false that we are losing 10,000 subscribers.” As for the 5,000 estimate, the spokesperson only said “that is false, too,” but wouldn’t comment further.

Five thousand might not seem like a large number at first glance, but it’s significant in the context of Us’s printing schedule. The magazine goes to press Monday night, which means subscribers don’t receive their issues until Friday or Saturday. In other words, the cancellations are coming from subscribers who, in many cases, haven’t even gotten their hands on the actual issue.

“When Us went to print Monday night, it looked like the ticket was falling apart," says one magazine editor. “They went to print thinking Palin was dead in the water, and their mistake was thinking everyone who reads Us is a Democrat, when they’re not. Readers are loyal, but the base of a political party is more loyal. They don’t need to read the magazine when there’s so much press around it to know to be upset.”

Upset might be an understatement: One Us advertiser has admitted that they’ve received calls from angry former subscribers threatening to boycott their products. “(Us publisher) Jann Wenner supports Obama, Wenner media decided to follow the buzz around Palin before her speech, and now subscribers feel like a vote has been cast on their behalf," says another magazine editor. “It’s going to be tough to bounce back from this one. Especially if the advertisers get involved. If they get nervous, that can hurt all of us.” "

Comment

I have no idea why anyone would want to read those magazines that are at the checkouts. The front covers are covered with sensationalism just to sell mags. they don't care what they print, as long as it catches the eye of shoppers.
                            Last edited by AllieK; 09-13-2008, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sewcute View Post
                              Hey Sabine, you make a good point. But I havent seen Biden on any covers...hmmmmmm
                              I haven't either, but that doesn't mean has not been on a cover. I guess he just isn't interesting enough for the magazine's editors.

Comment

Working...
                              X