CK roll call, Ike survivors check in please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CK roll call, Ike survivors check in please

I got Stella, Allie K. Texanna Tami & Wessnicki, Hope to hear from all of you to make sure you & your family are doing well and getting ready to be home. Sabine is fine saw her post. There may be more that I missed .

Re: CK roll call, Ike survivors check in please

I'm fine. We didn't get anything but a little wind.

Comment

Allie, and no sleep. Even though you didn't get flooded you still got aggrevation of worrying about it for a week. Been there, done that and I know that is a lot to go through by worrying until the breakthrough.

Does your home owners insurance go skyrocketing when hurricanes hit like it does in Florida? Or a lot of cancellations?

Comment

DH works in claims in Insurance, he said wind is covered, only problem is flood you have to have a special policy to cover flood ins. and anyone living near water probably has it.

Comment

In Florida they have us marked off if we are in flood zones or not. If your area is in a flood zone than you have to have flood insurance with your regular insurance and if you live where you are not in a labeled flood zone area than it is optional.

After all the hurricanes started coming a couple years ago they started listing wind insurance as an additional expense.

Comment

DinDin, you are right. I've been worried about it for a few days. We did so much prep for this storm, it took 2 days, and then we get a little wind. Now I have to hear my dh say "I told you so". He didn't want to board the windows up. Sometimes I want to smack that man!!

I'm not sure about the rising insurance premiums. That's another sore spot with me. Why is it that insurance companies will cover houses that sit right by the water, pay out over and over again for those houses and then charge us more? People shouldn't be so stupid to build those expensice homes right on the water.

Comment

I started thinking about your comment "anyone near water would probably have it", I have to disagree. In troubled economic times you are illiminating bills as much as possible. I have canals everywhere by me and not far from the ocean yet I must be at a higher sea level because I'm not required to purchase flood insurance not being in a flood zone area. So my point being, I don't have to have it so I don't have it because I can't afford everything. There could be a lot of people in Texas with the same situation. If you have to make ends meet and are looking for a bill to illiminate this flood insurance could have been the one.
              '

Comment

seems it's their choice to buy flood ins. I would living near an area but most people don't. the wind should be covered. Adjustors will be flown as fast as they can once it is safe. Dh has many that need to go down there. I don't care what the ins says, once carpet is flooded they say they can suck it out, no way in hell, that is damaged and needs to be replaced. The mold & mildew is there for life. Don't listen to them. Today we talked so much about it, he has been doing claims for over 20yrs. He said no flood ins. their problem. Of course I feel bad, I said act of God, he said no, they know they need to get this living in an area like that. New Orleans too, below sea-level is something to get more ins., and they don't do it. Maybe they can't afford it, he said no excuse, we went round & round with this. Guess I feel too bad for people. DH is so ins. person, he said they know anyone living below sea-level needs more ins. and that's their problem. They should know what to expect. I just feel so bad.

Comment

what i think dindin is trying to say is that with people tightening their belt then they may think flood insurance is a hedging their bet and maybe it is an item they can cut. Just to cut down on expenses, to afford other things like food, heat, gas.

Did I get the gist right?

Still hoping you all rode it out ok where ever you are?

dragun

Comment

Anyone living near any water should have flood ins. I know, it's expensive near a lake or pond or even ocean think about it. You choose to live near it and just get the ins. for it. DH just is sitting back watching it all going on. Even he knows half the people don't have it. The wind damage is Ok just the water isn't unless flood who would have a home close to any water & no flood ins?? It is a crap shoot. Take a chance most people did good not getting it now they need it. Maybe now they will think different. Live in a low sea level too, you know some way a hurricane can come up & take the house, get the damn flood ins. Pay the money. What the heck??? The way this goes, get the ins. for it. Also when they say leave the area leave, don't hang around.

Comment

Not a drop of rain in Austin. Now ... everyone can go home. From what I heard on the news this morning, we have already had several babies delivered ....... which the state & city have already paid for

Comment

We made it through Ike! We didn't have a direct hit, but we were on the east side of the storm. No major damage so that's a blessing! I'm so ready to get back to normal. I'm glad to see everyone checking in and that everyone is Ok!

Nicki

Comment

I bet most of those in the path, won't have electricity for awhile to check in. Hope everyone's OK!

Comment

im still waiting for a friend to call me and tell me shes ok,im betting the cell towers were hit,at least im hoping thats what it was...

Comment

We didn't even get a drop of rain, it ran north of us. But we were worried about it. I hope everyone is ok!
                              A man of words and not of deeds, is like a garden full of weeds.

Comment

Working...
                              X