Cooking for 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking for 1

My DH got a job working 2nd shift. So, that leaves me to cook dinner for 1 (he is the cook in the family).
    So, what ideas do you have for me? I cannot use mushrooms or bananas (they give me migraines).
    Thanks!

Re: Cooking for 1

We had a thread on this subject just a few days ago and someone, ( sorry , can't remember who ) posted a whole bunch of web sites, cooking for one, or cooking for two. If I see it I will bump it for you.

Comment

Pouncermom, perhaps you could contact Stella at some point regarding "freezer cooking". Maybe use your weekends if they are open to do all your cooking for the entire week and freeze portions for just one. The crock pot is also a great way to get ahead on your cooking. My DD is a full-time doctoral student by night and does research by day, leaving her very little time to eat properly. So she started making a lot of crock pot meals on Sundays and then divides it up into containers for throughout the week. She tries to make two or three different type meals at once on Sundays so she's not eating the same one meal all week long.
      The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

I do the same. I dont even try to cook for just one anymore. I make 4-6 servings, whatever my recipe is for, and I either freeze the other portions, or I save some out for leftovers to have the next day. Sometimes I grill a bunch of chicken breasts and freeze them, then pull them out of the freezer to either have in salads or other recipes.

Comment

I rely on cooking for 2 magazine! I can easily feed the second portion to DH or eat it myself later!

Comment

I agree, just make usualy recipes and freeze remainder, or eat the extra within 3 days.

Comment

Here ya go Pouncermom. These are the links that Sabine probably had in mind. Floridagirly68 posted them on Huffle's thread back on 9/12/08:

http://www.cookingfor2.com/

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Everyday-Cooking/Cooking-for-Two/Main.aspx

http://cookingfortwo.about.com/

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/cooktwo/cooktwo.html

Floridagirly68 said: "These are all cooking for two sites. I would make the extra serving and have it for left overs or freeze it for a future dinner."
              The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

Yes, those are the articles that I was thinking about. Thanks, krubinic.

Comment

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate it.

Comment

For me I generally cook a pot of soup a week, then maybe a full dinner once a week and have leftovers. I have mainly gotten used to scaling back recipes into 2 to 3 servings. I don't like cooked food after it has been frozen, and then I don't like left overs again and again.

Comment

Working...
                    X