Volunteering...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volunteering...

Just wondering what people do for volunteer efforts. I think it's great that others will help those in need without asking for a dime. I'd like to do more volunteering, but for now I have a toddler at home and so it's a bit tough. I am, however, a penpal to a disabled man in another state. That's fun and I think he likes getting my cards and letters. If you are thinking about volunteering and don't know where to start, you can find a lot of good websites by googling it. Or there always seems to be a need in nursing homes, animal shelters or schools.

Re: Volunteering...

J, when my schedule calms down I thought about going to a childrens hospital and volunteering to rock babies in neo-natle, or read the the younger kids. JMH thoughts, Laura

Comment

Jodilyn,

The local churchs and city might have ideas. But what about Meals on Wheels or something in a nursing or convalesant home where you can take your child.

Comment

I do a LOT of volunteer work for the local humane society. Some days I feel stressed but it is worth it and I love doing it. I also help out with different events at my church. I would love to quit my job and just do more volunteer work since it feels so much more fulfilling but unfortunately it doesn't pay the bills.....

Another idea is to check with the local libraries - they usually have some volunteers. My local library has programs for children. Maybe your local library has such programs too and need volunteers.

Comment

i anyway make dinner. we have a group that sends dinners to mothers with newborns so i told her she can call me weekly.
          I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

Comment

My Mom volunteered at different retirement homes for, wow, I am going to say about 10 years. My Dad was a mentor helping kids with reading before he passed away about 3 yrs ago. I used to help my Mom at the retirement homes. One of them was this huge place not far from where we lived, and we used to go there almost every day. I was a GS leader for 2 years
            www.freewebs.com/auntanniescakes

I am one of 57 million (who did not vote for BO)

Comment

I tutor kids in reading (and not so happily, math) at the local literacy center. It's a real toss up who gets more out of it. I get to play teacher and the kids are so cute and funny and smart and interesting... I leave every time w/ a big smile on my face!
              "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

I did a couple of years at the Crisis Center. My most rewarding call was a man who thanked me and said I just saved a girl from being raped.

Comment

Did a lot of volunteer work at my kids school when they were little, loved every minute of it. Did volunteer work at the military hospital when we were active duty. My local library is always looking for volunteers.

Comment

Working...
                  X