starting day 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting day 6

i visited a friend yesterday, Jo and I met in 6th grade. been close ever since.
    still a lot of damage here from gustav. she works for the cable company, but had to take a day off to sit at home and wait for the cable repair. isn't that crazy? they won't give a time frame, because of the current situaton here, everyone is out, she said she was lucky to get this appointment. wow. cannot image what we are facing at home with cable.

it's pathetic how addicted i/we/the kids have become on things.
    the tv here is lousy, no cable at all, dial up internet, not even a remote control for the tv. today i will cave and go buy a universal remote of some sort my son, little einstein will fiqure it out to program it. not just that, but no DVR box? there's no pause or fast forward through commercials. how in the world did I live through that before we got ours?

the lack of kitchen stuff here is brutal. I had to go buy a rolling pin, a whisk, i had to go buy a large stock pot for fiesta soup. tiny kitchen, not that mine is huge, but it's a decent size so at least 4 people has a spot on the counter. here, nope, one spot. i should photo it, but i don't wanna hurt feelings here if someone else has one smaller..
    i am just no use to the change. the sudden change.

dad has his floors tiled, 12 inch tiles, the middle of the living room floor is bubbled up.
    i have no idea what happend, his friend installed it, but all these tiles are atill stuck together with the grout but they are up, don't knwo what he'll do about that, apparently nothing, he said it's been like that for awhile, i was here... back in march, noticed it then but it's worse now and before that it was march a year before that.
    seems you should be able to chip the grount out save the tile and put them back down?
    but what do i know..

here's news from our city, the web site..

Currently there is no power in the City, and the last word from Centerpoint is that it will be 1 week to 3 weeks. The electrical infrastructure here was seriously damaged due to Hurricane Ike. We have water and sewer service but its extremely limited. We currently only have one lift station with power and there is no power to any of the water wells. We are not stopping people from returning but if you are comfortable where you are, we do ask that you remain if at all possible. At present, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to provide enough water and sewer service until Centerpoint is able to come in to town.

dammit..
    I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Re: starting day 6

Stella, I know you are frustrated living with your Dad but at least he has electricity. My parents were kind of like that too. If I would get them anything to make life easier, they would not use it. They were just happy living that way. Your kids must really be climbing the walls by now.
    1-3 weeks before you can get back? Let's hope it's only 1 more week. Do they have stores or places open for the people that are there? It will probably take awhile to get your neighborhood up & running, grocery stores, gas stations, etc...

Comment

I know you are frustrated and your kids are bored etc. but if you have no power at home what would be the point of going back at this time?
      You are lucky that you are able to stay with your Dad at this time. Many people are here in shelters in SA and they have nothing, the clothes on their backs, hot meals and a cot to sleep on, that's it, all waiting to go home.

Comment

i have no desire to go home until power is back on. we have 2 generators, but they won't run the house. even if i had power, the cubbards are bare at the grocery and no gasoline.

problem with schools opening, is getting food in the cafeteria's. and fuel in the buses.
        so far they are saying MAYBE monday.

when i spoke to hubby at 3 he said the electrical crews were all over the town near by, the one 3 miles away, where the wal mart is, mall, hospital, all of everything, they are there. but see where my house is, we have nothing.
        we have a school, but no bank, no big anything to make them hurry up to our town.
        hopefully it won't be long...
        I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

oh.

yea I always have places to go, dads is best because I am not disturbing, or upsetting a full blwon families routine. no other kids, and they work all day. so it's best I am here.
          i could have gone to Jo's house, we are always welcome there, she has 3 indoor dogs, and 3 indoor cats, one dog has never been outside... if you know what i mean.

plus I am allergic to cats.

Comment

I would think, I would hope, that to get the hospitals back up and running is first priority.

Comment

Originally posted by Stella View Post
              oh.

yea I always have places to go, dads is best because I am not disturbing, or upsetting a full blwon families routine. no other kids, and they work all day. so it's best I am here.
              i could have gone to Jo's house, we are always welcome there, she has 3 indoor dogs, and 3 indoor cats, one dog has never been outside... if you know what i mean.

plus I am allergic to cats.

maybe you could just visit friends, sounds like you have friends in BR, besides your Dad. Just to get out of the house and keep your kids from going nuts, being so bored.

Comment

Working...
              X