• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casey Calls 911 When Protesters Get Violent Outside House

Casey Calls 911 When Protesters Get Violent Outside House

POSTED: 4:45 pm EDT September 17, 2008
    UPDATED: 5:58 pm EDT September 18, 2008

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- It's a new low, in the Casey Anthony case. Screaming protesters outside the Anthony home taunted the family at 1:30 in the morning and provoked a retired grandfather while Casey stayed inside and called 911.

No matter how you feel about Casey Anthony or her parents who live in the house, it is a neighborhood in east Orange County where families live, people raise their children and they expect to feel safe.

"I feel sorry for my neighbors that I've known for the last 19 years. It's ashamed what's happened to my neighborhood because of this," George Anthony told Eyewitness News on Thursday.

It is clear that other residents in the Anthony family's neighborhood are concerned about their safety. The sheriff's department said it's already pushed to the brink trying to protect people in an area where many residents are afraid to open their doors.

Lynda is a four-year resident of Chickasaw Park and says the Caylee Anthony saga has turned the neighborhood upside down. Late Wednesday night, protesters took their invasion to a new low, launching coins and rocks at the Anthonys' windows and then trespassing to bang on the door.

As her parents walked outside with a bat, Cindy Anthony and Casey Anthony both called 911 with obvious concern about the physical danger (listen to calls).

"I don't know if there's weapons. I know that my father is outside and so is my mother. So please send as many people as you possibly can," Casey told the dispatcher.

One female protester tried encouraging a fight by pulling George Antony by his shirt. The protesters admit to taunting and provoking the family in the middle of the night.

"I think it's starting to work. He said for himself it's breaking his family apart. So hopefully it breaks them all down," protester Miriah Bounds told Eyewitness News.

Late Thursday morning, George Anthony released the following statement to Eyewitness News asking for help identifying the protesters: "Community Help: September 18, 2008 -- The Anthony Family asks all Central Florida residents and Friends to help identify all person(s) involved in the incidents that occurred in the early Morning hours of Sept. 18, 2008. Please contact The Orange County Sheriff Dept., the local FBI office, the Florida Dept. of Law Enforcement, also call my personal Cell # 407-403-3564 with this info. I appreciate your Help. The person(s) involved will be arrested And prosecuted to the fullest extent Of Florida Law. -- George Anthony" (see statement)

Sheriff's deputies said they're doing all the law allows to keep neighbors safe and to give protestors their constitutional rights.

"All we can do is enforce the law. And I can tell you our folks are frustrated. I can tell you our folks are very, very concerned about the security and safety of that neighborhood," said Jim Solomons, Orange County Sheriff's Office.

The attorney for the homeowners' association thinks much of the blame goes to the protesters themselves.

"It just shows me that these protestors are not out here for First Amendment rights. They're just here to cause a confrontation," HOA attorney Karen Wonsetler told Eyewitness News.

Orange County Commissioner Linda Stewart is now checking the legality of a curfew of perhaps 9:00pm for the entire block. She says it's a compromise for competing interests.

"As fair as you want to be to the people who want to protest, you're being unfair to those who live in this neighborhood," Stewart told Eyewitness News.

At this point, Wonsetler said only a judge's injunction to move the protesters to an empty lot nearby will return a sense of security to the neighborhood.

"This is primarily at the discretion of a judge. We've done as much as we can at this point," Wonsetler said.

Protests have become commonplace at the house and people gather to rally against Casey Anthony. Casey remains holed up in the home after being charged with child neglect and lying to authorities in the case of her missing daughter, Caylee. Caylee has been missing for nearly three months and sheriff's investigators believe she is dead.

FIRST AMENDMENT DOESN'T MEAN NO PROTESTING RESTRICTIONS

The First Amendment gives protesters a legal right to assemble. Eyewitness News wanted to know what a judge can do to stop the violent protests.

Legal experts said there's plenty; constitutional rights are not uniform. A judge can impose restrictions on the time, place and manner of the protests.

That means a judge could force a curfew, they could move the protesters out of the neighborhood or they could enact a noise limit.

The only thing a judge cannot do in the case is stop the protesters from delivering their messages.

Re: Casey Calls 911 When Protesters Get Violent Outside House

Wow. I feel really sorry for the neighbors.....
    Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

She didn't seem to call the police when she murdered her beautiful daughter...

but she does now that people are on her parents lawn??

Comment

Leah I totally agree with you!! IF she had nothing to do with her daughter's disappearance then she should be working more on that than worrying about the protesters. I'd be there protesting. I hope when her daughter is found and the truth is told Casey gets just the same as she gave her daughter

Comment

Working...
        X