• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small pet peeve

Gyro is pronounced YEER-oh

I cringe whenever I hear someone order a "JI"ro

Re: Small pet peeve

Even A Redneck Like Me Knows It's Yeee-roh, But I Hear People Say It The Other Way. Irritates Me Also, It's Not Like It's Something New!

Comment

I've heard it called a "Hero".
      Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Comment

I never knew how it was pronounced, would have thought it was Ji-ro,,,,
        and I've never had one, and we don't have them around our neck of the wood's, I live out in the boonies LOL!
        A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

I didn't know it was pronounced that way, either. Have never had or seen one. They must have them around here, but not where I eat, apparently.

Comment

" just give me the number 6, and can i have extra cuumber sauce too"

i always say ji ro. people i order from never seem to mind and never correct me. they are always just so glad to see me.
            I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

I love Gyros, but they don't make them like they used to, where they carve the meat off the big roast that is slow cooked. Yum. Just the presliced, pressed stuff. not as good.
              "Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by laura lynn View Post
                I love Gyros, but they don't make them like they used to, where they carve the meat off the big roast that is slow cooked. Yum. Just the presliced, pressed stuff. not as good.
                that's how they do it here. and how it was done in baton rouge last week.
                huge meat log on a slow turning thingy some of the pieces were crispy. those are my favorite pieces, lol i pick those out first.

they are always so full, so i pull out half the meat and the lettuce and eat the JI ROW
                then pick the little pieces I pulled out with the sauce. i had one last week, gosh it was so good.
                I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

I say hero, too. I don't much like the sauce that's used on giros, so I don't eat them.
                  Behind every successful man is a surprised woman.

Comment

DS works in a Greek restaurant and that is a BIG pet peeve for him. Of course, I say it just to bug him!

Comment

Never had one.. Just exactly what is that meat they put on there? That is what has scared me in the past... And, what else do they put on them? Maybe if I knew what they had in them, I could try one...
                      Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

i think, it's ground turkey, mixed with seasonings and then packed into a log.

that's what i think. i could be wrong. if i am i hope it's not bad news haha

Comment

It was beef & lamb the way I remember, & I love them too.
                          Sorry , but I always called them JI Roe's too..lol. That was how it looked to me. It is a Greek type sanwich made on pita bread...very tasty!
                          Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Ok as long as we're on the subject of mispronouncing food names... This is a VERY sore subject for Cape Cod natives.
                            If you ever come to Cape Cod and go to a restaurant for fried scallops please be aware that the correct pronunciation is SKAW-LUP. Not SCAL-IP. It makes us cringe and think that you're all ignorant tourists. Most natives would gladly tell you there's no such thing as a
                            scal-ip. You may think this information to be incorrect but trust me - you're wrong. And you're a city slicker. We may only be a very small percentage of the population of this country but we know our seafood!!!!

Ok... just been waiting 30+ years to get that off my chest. I can see my father smiling down from heaven right now! )

Comment

Originally posted by smellis711 View Post
                              Ok as long as we're on the subject of mispronouncing food names... This is a VERY sore subject for Cape Cod natives.
                              If you ever come to Cape Cod and go to a restaurant for fried scallops please be aware that the correct pronunciation is SKAW-LUP. Not SCAL-IP. It makes us cringe and think that you're all ignorant tourists. Most natives would gladly tell you there's no such thing as a
                              scal-ip. You may think this information to be incorrect but trust me - you're wrong. And you're a city slicker. We may only be a very small percentage of the population of this country but we know our seafood!!!!

Ok... just been waiting 30+ years to get that off my chest. I can see my father smiling down from heaven right now! )

fried SKAL-UPS are not my favorite.
                              i have no plans to go to cape cod, but if i ever do i'll be sure to get the t shirt that says Ignorant tourist.
                              these ignorant tourists are spending money in your area keeping buisnesses alive,
                              I'd be thrilled to have them there.

louisiana KNOWS seafood.
                              we know how to boil a crab with the seasoning, we know how to boil a crawfish, and pass a good time, as well as fish, shrimp, and do more than fry it.

depends on the area you are from, your up bringing on how you say things, and cook things.
                              doesn't make one right or wrong.
                              But i can tell you this, anyone who is a tourist in louisiana and says cray fish,
                              will not be called an ignorant tourist, they would be embraced and fussed over, over who will show them the area, and show them a good time.

Comment

Working...
                              X