Disruptive new neighbors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disruptive new neighbors...

I don't think I'm a snooty neighbor. We moved here 20 years ago with 3 "rowdy" teenagers. I've had my share of police calls from neighbors who objected to my kids having "band practice" in my garage, boyfriends racing up the street, etc. However, we always disciplined & corrected our kids & ALWAYS maintained CURB APPEAL!

I have new neighbors (3 years) whose teenage kids have been revving up car engines that sound like sewing machines gone wild, 24/7! My former neighbors kept the yard mowed & clean...the new family mows the lawn about twice a year. There's a trampoline & lopsided pool in the back yard that is my "new view" from my living room. Not to mention wooden patio furniture & plastic toddler slides, swings & blow up "jumping games" (deflated) lying all over the back yard. The ORANGE storage barn went up this summer! Their youngest daughter is 12, so these toys have never been used since they moved here.

We're trying to sell our house but potential buyers are totally turned off by the trash in my neighbors yard. DH & I are trying to save up enough money (fixed income retirees) to buy evergreen shrubs to block the view of our inconsiderate neighbors yard.

There used to be a neighborhood committee that "reminded" these kind of neighbors to maintain their properties, but it's not happening anymore. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Manzanita; 09-19-2008, 06:44 PM.
    "WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Re: Disruptive new neighbors...

Gosh, I wish I had some advice for you... How awful! Of course, if you try to talk with them about it, they will get offended and become even more obnoxious. Sounds like your best bet will be the bushes or a tall privacy fence.. both pretty pricey...
    Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Do you have zoning where you live? You could always check that out.

Comment

i have no nice suggestions, other than contact that committee, or the city?
        and see if they are up to code, or if they can give that little reminder to them.

in the meantime, will you do me a HUGE favor?
        i beg you, please please take a photo from your living room window, i want to see what these peeps are lookin' like...please? will ya? I'll add you to the christmas card list...
        I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

Yes, check with your city about zoning laws. If you're having trouble selling your home, a friendly visit by your city's police department may be the incentive your neighbors need to clean up their act. Good luck!
          Behind every successful man is a surprised woman.

Comment

There could be some city ordinances against the condition of the property. The pool could be an "attractive nuisance" such that it would have to be fenced in so as not to lure a small child to possible danger. Had a similar situation when we sold our house a few years back. Grown children with car parts and vehicles bought at auction from the Salvation Army littering their enlarged driveway. We bought some really fast growing evergreens at costco. They only live about 20 years, but they grow about 5 or more feet a year. It took a while to sell the house. Folks would just look at the house next door and leave.

Good luck. Would think they could be required to mow and clean up some. Could come under a public nuisance law. Not healthy to let the lawn grow and attract mice, etc.

Comment

Okay check all the city zoning and find out you have no say. Then send an anonymous letter, tell them what they need to clean up to make everything nice and sign it "Your neighborhood realtor"!

Comment

I don't think you'll have any problems selling in a low-life neighborhood, those kind of people come and go.. no matter what the economy, they always find a way..

Comment

I wonder if your realtor could address the problem instead of you doing it. That way it comes from a very business-like, professional sounding view instead of an unhappy neighbor.

We have new neighbors, too, but they are terrific. The only "problem" is they have so many friends over there are lots of adults/kids in and out and cars parked in front of our home.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by kiop View Post
                    I don't think you'll have any problems selling in a low-life neighborhood, those kind of people come and go.. no matter what the economy, they always find a way..
                    ???? I don't understand... Surely, you are not implying that Manzanita lives in a "low-life" neighborhood? I'm a little slow this morning, so if I misunderstood your meaning, please forgive me. Maybe you meant that low-lives will find a way into any neighborhood regardless of the economy....
                    Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

we have new neighbor's down the street who happened to be renters..they never..ever mow thier lawns..it's driving people crazy..and next door and across the street from me they are selling and renting thier house..so i'm nervous..my neighbor who is going to rent out his house..said he will try and find decent people..you just never know..he said i can interview the renters if i wanted.

Comment

call code enforcement, they will be able to inspect and red tag the house, especially for overgrowth, and the pool.

dragun

Comment

Working...
                        X