FEMA question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FEMA question

why is fema paying for damages for these homes? rather than people's home owners insurance??

people are in a fema line on the news, lady tells fema that she needs a place to stay, because she is being kicked out of the shelter. they showed pics of her house, nice brick home, huge tree in her living room. why isn't her home owners stepping in ?

only asking because I don't understand.
    I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Re: FEMA question

Are you for real? Why do you think FEMA is for?

Comment

yes moran I am for real or I wouldn't have asked.

when I had damage, I didn't call FEMA, I went through my insurance company, that's what it's for. this time all damage we will take care of ourselves.
      I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

Perhaps these people don't have home owners insurance. It isn't the law that you must have it. Some insurance companies don't cover floods or certain other things. FEMA is for the people who don't have insurance, or who have insurance that won't help them.
        Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Comment

Insurance is required if you have a mortgage. Maybe they could only afford the minimum insurance with such a high deductable? I know in Florida FEMA did start getting tougher on who they helped because they had so many claims. Everybody started claiming just to see what they could get away with. I know my neighbor did and she was better off than me and was telling me that you might as well try but I never did. And then a friend of mine tried getting help from FEMA because she was single and said they were pretty much helping those with kids first and didn't want to help her. I'm sure I don't know all the facts to her story.

Comment

I am sorry to say this, but I am unable to afford insurance. I am basically poor. When husband died I was fortunate that the place was paid for and it was by the sheer grace of God that it was paid for. I have trouble paying my property and school taxes since he has been gone too. It's a sad thing and It can happen to anyone. I have filed with FEMA because I actually need their assistance. I have paid my share of taxes and have tried to help others when they needed help. Its very hard to ask for help, but I am going to do it. That is what it is there for.
            It is very hard to have to ask for help when you need it. This has been a very humbling and humiliating experience for me.
            Last edited by TexAnn; 09-21-2008, 05:35 AM.
            Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Are you talking about the hurricanes or the floods? We were hit hard with floods here in early June. Unless you actually live in a flood zone, you cannot even get flood insurance. I cannot tell you how many people are homeless for this very reason. Even our hospital is closed. Homeowners pays nothing. If you're talking about the hurricanes then I imagine that there are alot of fine lines. Many will get screwed because there homeowners will say that it's water damage from flooding not hurricane. They may help with structural damage but not contents. You also have a deductible to pay. Many folks don't have upwards of $500/$1500 to fork over. There's water, mold, sewage, bugs and snakes, ruined drywall and carpeting not to mention broken glass and fallen trees. Looters and no power. And don't fool yourself into thinking that FEMA is a cure all. They don't even begin to cover the REAL expenses, only get you going.

Comment

Maybe there are a ton of renters who now have no place to live. FEMA would help them, wouldn't they? Stella, it's a little early to be calling people moron's don't you think?
                Behind every successful man is a surprised woman.

Comment

thanks for the explanition.
                  helps.

I wouldn't have asked if I didn't know.
                  not a department I ever had to deal with. and apparently i am not the only one who doesn't know, there were 27 reads of this thread before TMJ replied.

morning sweet pea!! **waving**

Comment

Can someone tell me what a moran is?

Comment

Whats a matter cat got your tongue.

Comment

Originally posted by twjd View Post
                        Can someone tell me what a moran is?
                        http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/moron

moron
                        10 dictionary results for: moron
                        Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
                        mo·ron /ˈmɔrɒn, ˈmoʊr-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mawr-on, mohr-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
                        –noun
                        1. a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgment.
                        2. Psychology. a person of borderline intelligence in a former classification of mental retardation, having an intelligence quotient of 50 to 69.
                        Compare feeble-minded.

Comment

Thank-you Panther! A dictionary is a good thing to have around sometimes, huh?
                          Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

I believe TWJD was being sarcastic because of the way moron was spelled moran.

Comment

IMO FEMA exists becuz people insist upon living in flood prone areas or in hurricane prone areas, knowing that someday the storm will cost them their home, but the US govt will buy them a new one cuz thats what the US govt does. We as individuals do not have to take care of ourselves, or make responsible decisions for ourselves, cuz when we don't there is always Uncle Sam to pick us up, wipe off our knees and send us on our way with money in hand.

I can say without wavering that I would never ever rely on the US govt to take care of me or my loved ones. The govt stinks at taking care of us and they basically screw up everything they touch or takeover. I'll always do whats necessary to be self sufficient.

Comment

Working...
                              X