Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rice Balls?

Ever make em?
    I did a google search and found alot of recipes...but I just wanted a simple one like place chopmeat around a mozzarella cube, place cooked rice around that, roll in bread crumbs and broil, fry, bake, whatever.

I could SWEAR thats how my neibhor did it...but that was MANY moons ago and I was so young.

Have you ever made these? How do you do it?

Re: Rice Balls?

Please share a recipe when you find one you like. It sounds interesting.
    A man of words and not of deeds, is like a garden full of weeds.

Comment

I found this one...but it uses a meat sauce INSIDE. I had them with chop meat inside and you dipped them in sauce AFTER they were cooked. This one is close thou:

Rice balls
      500 grams of rice
      1c grated romano or parmesan
      3 eggs
      breadcrumbs as needed
      parsley
      basil
      black pepper
      salt
      meat sauce
      vegetable oil for frying
      Cook rice until tender. Drain and rinse. Pour rice in a large bowl and add eggs, cheese, parsley, basil, black pepper and a little salt. Mix well. Take rice mixture in your hands, lay it flat on your hand, make an indentation in the center, add the sauce, cheese, and add the rice on top to form a round ball. Roll in breadcrumbs and put aside. Heat oil and fry rice balls until a golden brown. Remove and put on paper towel. Serve after cooling for 10 minutes. aproximately 20 Rice Balls

BTW: how much is 500gms of rice?

Comment

Bean was nice enough to PM this one to me...((((((Thanks Bean)))))) It was posted in 2006 by Lina:

Italian Rice Balls

20-24 balls, approx 1 hours 1 hours prep

2 eggs
        1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
        1 tablespoon dried basil or dried parsley
        1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
        1 teaspoon salt
        2 1/4 cups chicken broth or water
        1 cup uncooked white rice
        1 1/2 cups dried breadcrumbs
        2 cups olive oil or vegetable oil
        1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, in cubes (optional)

In a bowl whisk together the eggs, Parmesan cheese, basil or parsley (I prefer basil), pepper, and salt; cover and refrigerate.
        Pour the chicken broth (or water and a teaspoon of salt) into a large saucepan and bring to a boil; stir in the rice and reduce the heat to low.
        Cook the rice until liquid is almost absorbed, about 15 to 17 minutes.
        Remove from heat and gradually pour in egg mixture, continually stirring rapidly to coat the surface of the rice and prevent the egg from scrambling; allow rice mixture to cool in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Pour bread crumbs into a shallow dish. Dampen your hands with water and create 1-inch balls from the rice mixture, then coat each one with bread crumbs. In a small, deep skillet, heat enough oil to cover the rice balls to an adequate frying temperature (350 degrees F) so that a piece of rice from the mixture actively sizzles when dropped in; alternately, a deep fryer may be used. Fry the rice balls 4 to 6 at a time, turning as needed to ensure even browning. Drain on paper towels, then serve warm as is or with a bit of marinara sauce. Another nice touch you can use with these is to put a small cube of mozzarella cheese in the middle of each rice ball!

Comment

Working...
        X