Anyone ever heard of this?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever heard of this?!

Is this crazy or what? I'm not sure whether or not to run out and get all the supplies or laugh at the thought that I would consider it for a second. Here goes.....homemade baby wipes. You take quality paper towels and baby oil and wash and other ingredients and put it all together and soak and voila. Sorta. That was my condensed version. I guess u can save around $300 a yr. I would prob not sen dthese along to a sitter!!! LOL. Anyone ever do this or know someone who has? I am trying to go all green and save $ since I will no longer be working until further notice. Yikes. And it scares the bajesus out of me. Any pointer from stay at home moms would be welcome! Really like it makes my chest hurt when I start thinking about it. ((sigh))
    www.thenewmommiezblend.blogspot.com

Re: Anyone ever heard of this?!

Richelle,

I'm a SAHM to a near 2year old. Sometimes things are tight, but I'll probably go back to work when our little one goes to school. I think just pinching our pennies where it seems fit, has worked for us. Baby supplies can get expensive. That's the one area I will use coupons. Otherwise, I hate the time looking for and clipping them. If you plan on using formula, I switched to generic brands after I was done breastfeeding as my pediatrician said that was fine. But there are coupons for diapers, wipes, formula and baby foods either in your newspaper or go to specific websites like Pampers, Similac, Huggies and sign up to receive coupons.

Another thing is to check out your local Goodwill or Salvation Army. I never thought I'd go there to shop, but I have for my little one and have found a lot of cute toys, books and clothes. I'm picky about them being in bad shape, but I find a lot of things that haven't even been used or are gently used. You might be surprised. I was at first.

Comment

Besides Goodwill for clothes try consignment shops almost all my daughters clothes came from them, she actually preferred them since they were softer.

Comment

Thanks! I am slso looking into this site called freecycle. Everything is free. Have not gone to it yet, but I guess there are all over the place. Like a craigslist, but all free. I am not anti Goodwill or anything like that so that is good. I am a huge recycler and into anything green. I've switched to using vinegar for fabric softener and household cleaner. And Borax is my BFF. LOL. My MIL thinks I have gone off the deep end. Hee hee. I am going to try try try to breastfeed as long as I can. Is 2 years old too long. Kidding kidding!!!

Comment

We didn't have baby wipes when I was a baby. Moms used wash rags.

Comment

ugh yea.

I made my own wipes. when i had my son, the third baby, I made my own.
            Myself and several other moms in the Navy wives club did.
            I do not see what is so funny about it. anything that saves a buck.

when we were in the navy with three kids living in housing, times were tough, granted we didn't have many bills, car note, phone bill, insurance- car and rental, groceries and cable. we were making 22 thousand a year. thankfully i was never on food stamps.
            shopped garage sales for my kids clothes, there was an amazing thrift store there,
            I bought many of the things I needed from second hand or on a swap with other moms.

i bartered (sp?) many things, I'd baby sit for someone while they went to an appointment and they did the same for me, i'd swap my vacuum use for the chance to see their movies. they would borrow my large dutch oven and I'd get to use their kitchen aid.

I do wish I knew about freezer cooking then however. I didn't get into that until about 5 years ago.
            I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

and I am currently on freecycle.
              i seem to give away more than I ask for. but it's nice to know i was able to help others in need.
              I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

You young mom's want all the convenience. I washed diapers and used pampers when I went to church, vacation, store, etc. I also used a wash cloth with just water on it. I thought that the baby wipes hurt all my sons rear end. I did have some diaper wipes for the diaper bag when we went out. If you don't want to walk all the way to the bathroom to wet a wash cloth, just have a covered container near where you change the baby at. I nursed all 3 sons. One I nursed to 1 year old, the others switched around 7-8 months. When you switch to real diapers, then you will be "green".

Comment

Yeh you just cut a roll of paper towel in 1/2 and then soak it in your mixture and there u go. I would coinsider using rags too. DH is really picky about his white undershirts so he throws them away ( I save for rags) and I could use them in my mixture. That would even be more green than toweling. And cheaper. Heck free. I am interested in cloth diapering, but totally scared at the thought of washing loads and loads of poo diapers. Especially nursed poo. LOL.

I also have checked out Save A Lots and Aldi's. I know I could save $ that way. We make too much money to qualify for any type of assistance....which wasn't my goal, just thought I'd look into it. We are going to give up my satelite tv. Dang. That's like $100 a month. I mean in Feb. everything will be good to go on tv. The whole digital thing.

Comment

I don't think i would have ever popped out any kids at all if disposable diapers were not available... no way could i do cloth, the pins, the plastic pants no way

Comment

See this is what I am talking about. I know it's more convenient in today's world than 25 yrs ago. How much poo do u think a washer can handle? LOL.

Comment

there's a lot of things I can switch, adjust, change, go green too, but cloth diapers isn't one of them.

not just the huge thick diapers, and the plastic pants, and more frequent diaper rashes but it's the nasty stained cloth, I don't think i would be saving very much, i wouldn't be able to put a stained cloth diaper on my baby, since i refuse to wear stained panties.
                        is that TMI?

Comment

I recall making my own baby wipes. It worked. We were very poor, struggling college students with 2 little ones. I used cloth diapers during the day and disposable for going out and at night. I washed them and hung them out to dry. My kids and I survived just fine. I made all my food from scratch. Never bought premade mixes of anything. I made my own bread. I didn't even use boxed mac and cheese. We didn't even have a t.v. We walked a lot and had a great life then. No regrets for me staying home.
                          A man of words and not of deeds, is like a garden full of weeds.

Comment

those poor days were the best days, and my dad told me that. these are the best days for you. i said well i am done being broke !! lol

now 13 years later i agree, looking back that was so nice, in a weird way.

my cousin julie will be 36 this next month. she is the first one that i personally know who was raised 100% on disposable diapers. my aunt let me change her once, nevcer will forget that, it was backwards and it fell off when she stood up.

Comment

If disposables were around when my DDs were babies, I sure didn't know it. I didn't have a dryer either.

Every load of diapers was washed twice at my house - once with a large amount of bleach and then the next without. I never really had any stained diapers. There was a solution you put in water in the diaper pail and then put the diaper in (after dumping and swishing in the toilet if needed). I'd pour the pail into the washer, put it on spin and then back to start a wash cycle. Many's the time I put diapers out on the line in the dark before going to work in the dead of winter and most likely would end up putting them on the radiators all over the house when I'd take them down in the evening if it was cold enough that they mere froze rather than dried. You did what you had to do. You never miss what you don't know. Both DDs were out of diapers before I had a dryer.

Comment

Working...
                              X