Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any words of wisdom? Dog got "skunked" last night!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any words of wisdom? Dog got "skunked" last night!!!

Sooooooo, my 2 year old Golden Retriever, "Murphy" managed to get a good "skunking" late last night. Don't remember any recent threads on this and thought I'd ask for some tricks or suggestions.......if there are any at this point. Last night right after I got my shower a little before 11:00 p.m. I let the dog out afterwards and that's when it happened. I ended up taking 2 showers within an hour or so. Although this is no laughing matter, it is rather comical when you think of it to see their surprise reaction and hope they've learned their lesson. But somehow I doubt that's the case with most dogs.

Bathing him at 11:00 p.m was JUST what I wanted to be doing at that late hour and especially on a Sunday night because I HATE Sunday nights as it is. DS went online and read that if you dont' have "Skunk Out" you can use a mixture of hydrogren peroxide, baking soda and dish liquid. I know about the tomato juice, but I did that to my last Golden Retriever years ago and he turned "orange" for days!!!!

The mixture above did a nice job of "bathing" him, but his nose will forever smell like skunk I'm afraid. We slept last night with ALL the windows open, ceiling fans going, oscillating fans, blinds up, etc. and now again since I"m home from work for the evening.

Also, I'm thinking of steam cleaning my family room carpet where the smell seems to linger the most, but unfortunately, since it's on him (and he gets penned in there during the work day, I'm afraid that room will be skunky forever and a day. Sometimes steam cleaning also tends to leave a funky smell itself on certain carpets so I might even make it worse.

This is such fun I cannot stand it.........NOT!!!! Anyone know when skunk season ends???? I've heard a lot of people catching them in traps this time of year. I'll probably have to take Murphy out on a leash now instead of letting him run loose at night in our fenced in yard for fear it'll happen again!!!!!
    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Re: Any words of wisdom? Dog got "skunked" last night!!!

What timing! This was just in our paper today

This gets skunk smell out of your carpet, off the walls or wherever. Can be used on pet fur but be careful not to get any of it in his eyes!!

Mix 1 pint hydrogen peroxide, several squirts of dish soap, one box baking soda and one gallon of water. Apply where needed.

This cannot be stored because it will lose effectiveness quickly and will explode if stored in a sealed container.

good luck!!

Comment

wasn't there a thread about this not too long ago, maybe beginning of summer? I'm sorry to hear that, and it really "stinks" that it happened at that hour on a Sunday night, of all times!

Comment

I feel sorry for you.
        I have heard that tomato juice works well.
        Yes, I saw that post as well, Cookin....just a few months ago too....
        Good Luck!
        Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Originally posted by chickyp View Post
          What timing! This was just in our paper today

This gets skunk smell out of your carpet, off the walls or wherever. Can be used on pet fur but be careful not to get any of it in his eyes!!

Mix 1 pint hydrogen peroxide, several squirts of dish soap, one box baking soda and one gallon of water. Apply where needed.

This cannot be stored because it will lose effectiveness quickly and will explode if stored in a sealed container.

good luck!!

That's what she said she used.

Comment

My dog got it on that thread. We used peroxide, baking soda and Dawn to shampoo him with.

Comment

Originally posted by mew View Post
              That's what she said she used.
              But not on her carpet!

Comment

i have two clown golden retrievers.
                i cannot imagine !!

how did it work? how is Murphy today?
                I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry, I didn't have time earlier to do a "search" for previous threads on this as I was on my way out to an appointment this evening.

Murphy is doing ok, but last night I could tell it must've hit him in the eyes or at least the smell was tearing him up because he was blinking, blinking, blinking!!! Poor fella and earlier in the day he had his first dog obedience training class and was sooooo tired after that too. So he was beat last night and then being penned in my laundry room I'm sure he didn't sleep well there either.

Anyway, we did try the peroxide, baking soda and Dawn dish liquid. It really got him "clean" but it didn't completely remove the smell as I had hoped. He has it mostly on his nose (not the fleshy part with the nostrils, but the furry part I just love to kiss him on...........except for now!!!!) After my appointment tonight, I made a bee line for the pet store and found something called, "Natures Miracle" skunk scent remover. I saturated a cloth and put it on his head and nose, but in some respects, it seems like that made the smell come out again. I don't have time to bathe him again now, but I will tomorrow night. A friend of mine has four Golden Retrievers and she recommended a new dog bathing system called, "Rapid Rinse". However, it's $70.00 and I just cannot afford that at the moment. So I think the good old hose will do just fine. I think where most of the smell is coming from now in the house is my carpeting. Maybe I'll put some of the Nature's Miracle stuff in my steam cleaner.

Again, thanks for all the replies and support!!!!
                  The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

Krubinic, please be very very careful with the skunk product from the store and with the hydrogen peroxide mixture when you are cleaning Murphy's face. Both will cause irritation to the dog's nose and eyes. The skunk enzime also breaks down in sunlight so the smell around his head will go away in a day or two.

If the house is still smelling, you can heat up a couple of cups of vinegar and then just let it sit. As it cools it will neutralize the smell. I have even sprayed hot vinegar onto a plywood floor to get rid of the smell and it worked very well. You might try that with your carpet. I am afraid the peroxide mixture might damage the carpet's colour.

Don't worry. Murphy will again be huggable and kissable in a couple of days. Good Luck!
                    Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

Working...
                    X