spin off: picky eaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spin off: picky eaters

i grew up eating everything. my brother nor my mom or dad were picky we ate everything. brother and I didn't care for brussel sprouts, we'd stomach through to eat one each. it was a requirement, you will eat at least one bite of everything mom cooked.

my kids, eat everything, one does notcare for mushrooms, and another doesn't like tomatos or onion in her burger, other wise she eats them.

My husband is the baby of 3 boys. his older brother will not eat onions.
    he will not eat anything that has an onion in it. he won't eat stove top stuffing.
    he won't eat meat loaf.

My daughter's boyfriend, god help her.
    he won't eat noodles. won't eat anything green.
    won't eat onions, does not like cheese.
    he's difficult to cook for.
    his favorites, are hamburgers, chicken fried steak and then steaks on the grill.
    I do not know how she will survive.

I don't think i could cook for a pickey eater.

what about you?
    are you picky?
    are your kids picky?
    what about your spouse?

how do you suppose kids get to be picky?

i have a friend who will not eat any other mustard unless it's french's.
    i said Forrest, it's YELLOW MUSTARD !! IT'S ALL THE SAME she argues no it isn't.
    who knew??
    I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Re: spin off: picky eaters

DS is very picky - he used to eat everything. Now he does not eat any veggies or fruits what so ever. He likes pizza, tacos, chicken, pork, rice & homemade mac & cheese (not the box stuff). He has just now started to like sausage & black olives on his pizza. I used to fix something different for him on the nights we were having something he didn't like but I stopped doing that. He can eat what we eat or not eat - his choice.

Comment

my sister in law, with the husband who is picky.....

she'll make all sorts of different meals for her, the kids and then for the husband.
      there is no way i would do that. can't afford it.

but like you kirk, eat what i made or find something else, there's oatmeal, PBJ, cream of wheat... make it and clean it up.
      I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

I have the KING of picky eaters! He is known as "Mr. Picky" He eats very few veggies
        carrots, cabbage, green beans and on occassion stuffed bell peppers. he will eat celery raw,oh and he will eat potatos, baked stewed or sometimes mashed.
        Meats ,he loves a good steak, and sometime eats meatloaf.

He just had a five way by-pass two months ago and it's hard to cook for him.He has learned to eat turkey sausage...me I don't like turkey.

when my kids were young ,we ate alot of dried beans ,cornbread, garden veggies and he ate them too.now its almost impossible to find something he likes. I try alot of recipes, but usually call some of the kids to come after the left overs.

On occassion he will eat spaghetti or lasagna, but he can only have so much of that.I feel for anyone with a picky eater.
        I organize chores into catagories.
        Things I won't do now; things I won't do later; things I'll never do.

Comment

I am picky. My kids are picky. DH is not as picky as us but there are still lots of things that he won't eat just not as many as me or the kids.
          Spicy food speeds up your metabolism. Put salsa on your cupcakes.

http://find-teresa-butler.tripod.com

Comment

Growing up, Mom & Dad loved liver & lamb, so she would my DB & me something else but mostly we ate what she made accept for those times, DD is a little picky, but as she is getting older is willing to try more things. DH when we dated never ate seafood, now he eats trout, mussels etc... I just stay will mostly shell fish. I think kids get into their routines and only like certain things, then all of a sudden I don't like that anymore after you stock piled it. If you don't like what I'm cooking then find something because I am not going to cook a special meal for you. House rules.

Comment

I am happy to report that there are no picky eaters my way...lol
              I had one Son that would not touch anything that was the color green. Even if it was a tiny piece! The Marine Corp cured that one for me...Semper Fi Dude! LOL!
              We will eat just about anything.
              Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Funny how their taste change as they get older.

Comment

My dd is a Vegan. You can't get much picker than that. LOL!

Comment

I thought I was doing better than the "eat what's on your plate" mentality that I grew up w/. My kids had a "no thank you" portion on their plates (most often a tiny spoonful) and were required to eat it. There was only one time that I remember one of the kids actually gagging (over spaghetti squash)... ha ha. They grew up eating everything (except the brussel sprouts I NEVER served). And if they really did refuse to eat what was served for supper... and were hungry later, only fruit or a veggie was offered.

I didn't understand super picky kids. My friend's kid ate almost NOTHING and she was always scrambling to feed him. He spent 10 days at my house at about 4 years old and by the end, he was eating almost everything I put in front of him cause I told my friend I couldn't fix him special meals and then expect my kids to eat what was served. He was hungry for a few days, but he was eating good food finally!

I told my friend she had a rare opportunity when she came home. She should continue to give him only things she wanted him to eat and let him pick and choose from the healthy things she offered. She did not rise to the occasion and he went back to his picky ways and she spent his whole childhood cooking specially.

I mentioned earlier that my young friend is in the same boat w/ her 3 year old. She puts out healthy food and he won't eat it till she finally gives in and gives him Goldfish and an ice cream for supper. I keep telling her that if she ONLY has the foods in her house she wants him to eat... he will. Get rid of the Goldfish and processed snacks he lives on and he'll eat better!!

Babe won't eat peppers of any kind. Other than that... he's great!
                    "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

neither dh nor myself are picky eaters, we pretty much eat anything. ok, there may be a couple things i don't eat--lima beans and i am not a big bean, except green, fan. please don't tell dh as he has 400 + acres of navy and small red beans to harvest
                      SHEL

Comment

All of my 4 kids were picky eaters. Some are fussy now on certain things but, at least will try new foods. DS 3 could not ever eat pasta, it made him gag and throw up, I never forced him to eat it. Now he is trying to eat spaghetti, lasagna etc. Funny tho' how some kids will not eat veggies and then they do a turn around,,,,again, DS 3 he is 18 now, and his lunches for school/work are all veggies & fruit, no bread or crap. I was never too picky as a kid but, I was one of those that if the food 'looked' icky, I would not even try it. I will NOT try sushi, lobster, crab, escargot, mussels etc. nor squash.
                        A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

SO's youngest son is a very picky eater, and he is setting a very bad example for his own children now. He will not eat anything green, no salads, no veggies EVER. He will order a pepperoni pizza and then pick off the pepperoni, go figure. I asked him why, he really couldn't give me an answer Why is he that way ? spoiled by his mother when he was a kid. She catered to him, big mistake!

Comment

DH will eat about anything. I have a "thing" about chicken, won't eat it or eggs and I can barely eat turkey. I eat all veggies and fruits, some I like better than others of course. I am probably the pickest, so good thing I pick what we eat. DS #1 really does not care for cheese, but if a restaurant screws up and puts cheese on his sandwich, he will eat it. DS #2 and #3 dislike onions and tomatoes, but will devour salsa till it is all gone. Now my DGS thinks the only good thing to eat is french fries and chicken nuggets, we go around sometimes. When he is at our house, I make him at least taste each thing, DH makes him take 3 small bites before he says he hates it. I remember when I was a kid, I would only eat broccoli if it was covered in salt, don't think Mom every made a cheese sauce for it. But now, I never even salt it when I cook it. My oldest son went to Little Lambs day care once a week, to give me a respite, and they called broccoli, little trees, so I started doing that with my boys, and they always loved broccoli, probably all 3 boys favorite veggie.

Comment

My young friend feeds her son frozen chicken nuggets all the time. I told her to just make them herself w/ chicken breast, good whole wheat bread crumbs, and a little Parmesan and it changes EVERYTHING nutrition-wise!
                              "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Working...
                              X