I am seriously losing my mind...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am seriously losing my mind...

Driving down the street the other day, I was totally aware of my driving, my surroundings, traffic, etc...but, all of a sudden, for about half a minute, I had NO IDEA where I was headed. I totally passed the bank where I was supposed to be going.

I've been working on this brief all morning. Sailing right through it. The mail came in, I glanced through it and went back to my brief .. I'm on page 9 and I have absolutely no clue where I was going from here. My little brain just totally froze up.

At least the phones are quiet today.

Re: I am seriously losing my mind...

Does this happen often? How old are you? I may be jumping the gun here because I know that minds can do funny things sometimes, but If I were you, I'd see your doctor....especially if Alzheimer's runs in your family.

Comment

I wouldn't worry yet unless it keeps happening. I had similar things happen to me a few years back. Worst one was when not only did I know where I was going, I didn't know where I was. That only happened once. Mine usually come when I have too much going on and/or I am stressed out. Now it happens when I go to the fridge to get something out. What was it again? I am ADD and I get distracted easily, see something that needs doing, do it, then forgot the original plan. Did drive through Coeur d'Alene last week. It is beautiful!

Comment

the thing is, with Alzheimer's, there is medication that helps keep you where you are right now. You have to start it early for it to do any good. My mom waited too long before she started taking meds and the pills won't help her get anything back, but they are helping to keep here where she is at right now.
        I'm all for starting the meds at the first sign of anything happening.

Comment

I Am Forever Getting Somewhere And Think.....how Did I Get Here, Have No Idea What Happened On The "trip" To Where I Was. My Truck Has Auto Pilot I Guess, And Hopefully I Stopped At All The Lights/sign, And Didn't Run Over Someone. I Wake Up In A Daze Frequently After I Pass Up Where I'm Going If It's Different From My Routine, Home-work, Work-home! Scarey!!

Comment

I really doubt that you have Alzheimers, there are times when I walk into a room to get something, only to stand there, and think to myself , why did I come into this room. Sometimes I remember, sometimes I don't? I think everybody has moments lilke that. And when you have a lot on your mind, it's easy to do. I wouldn't worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
              I really doubt that you have Alzheimers, there are times when I walk into a room to get something, only to stand there, and think to myself , why did I come into this room. Sometimes I remember, sometimes I don't? I think everybody has moments lilke that. And when you have a lot on your mind, it's easy to do. I wouldn't worry.
              I DO THAT ALSO. I JUST SAY I'M LOOKING FOR "THE HEREAFTER". I GET WHERE I'M GOING THEN I HAVE TO WONDER WHAT I'M HERE AFTER!!! LOL

Comment

i don't think you are in doomesville.

I think you are dehydrated. drink water, lack of water effects the brain
                I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

This is some good info I got off the www.alz.org website that I think will help us be less anxious. If there is anything that "does" make you worried, I totally believe Allie's advice......get it checked out EARLY!!!!

The difference between Alzheimer's and normal age-related memory changes:

Someone with Alzheimer's disease symptoms:

Forgets entire experiences
                  Rarely remembers later
                  Is gradually unable to follow written/spoken directions
                  Is gradually unable to use notes as reminders
                  Is gradually unable to care for self

Someone with normal age-related memory changes:

Forgets part of an experience
                  Often remembers later
                  Is usually able to follow written/spoken directions
                  Is usually able to use notes as reminders
                  Is usually able to care for self

10 warning signs of Alzheimer's:

1. Memory loss. Forgetting recently learned information is one of the most common early signs of dementia. A person begins to forget more often and is unable to recall the information later.

What's normal? Forgetting names or appointments occasionally.

2. Difficulty performing familiar tasks. People with dementia often find it hard to plan or complete everyday tasks. Individuals may lose track of the steps involved in preparing a meal, placing a telephone call or playing a game.

What's normal? Occasionally forgetting why you came into a room or what you planned to say.

3. Problems with language. People with Alzheimer’s disease often forget simple words or substitute unusual words, making their speech or writing hard to understand. They may be unable to find the toothbrush, for example, and instead ask for "that thing for my mouth.”

What's normal? Sometimes having trouble finding the right word.

4. Disorientation to time and place. People with Alzheimer’s disease can become lost in their own neighborhood, forget where they are and how they got there, and not know how to get back home.

What's normal? Forgetting the day of the week or where you were going.

5. Poor or decreased judgment. Those with Alzheimer’s may dress inappropriately, wearing several layers on a warm day or little clothing in the cold. They may show poor judgment, like giving away large sums of money to telemarketers.

What's normal? Making a questionable or debatable decision from time to time.

6. Problems with abstract thinking. Someone with Alzheimer’s disease may have unusual difficulty performing complex mental tasks, like forgetting what numbers are for and how they should be used.

What's normal? Finding it challenging to balance a checkbook.

7. Misplacing things. A person with Alzheimer’s disease may put things in unusual places: an iron in the freezer or a wristwatch in the sugar bowl.

What's normal? Misplacing keys or a wallet temporarily.

8. Changes in mood or behavior. Someone with Alzheimer’s disease may show rapid mood swings – from calm to tears to anger – for no apparent reason.

What's normal? Occasionally feeling sad or moody.

9. Changes in personality. The personalities of people with dementia can change dramatically. They may become extremely confused, suspicious, fearful or dependent on a family member.

What's normal? People’s personalities do change somewhat with age.

10. Loss of initiative. A person with Alzheimer’s disease may become very passive, sitting in front of the TV for hours, sleeping more than usual or not wanting to do usual activities.

What's normal? Sometimes feeling weary of work or social obligations.
                  The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

Is this brief keeping you up at night? Are you constently working on it? Thinking about it?

Lack of sleep does AMAZING things to a persons brain function...WORSE if you are pre-menopausal...LOL
                    Take a nap, I'm sure your fine...I havent slept thru the night in over 3trs and I can tell ya I'M NUT-BONKERS because of it!!!

Comment

Is this brief keeping you up at night? Are you constently working on it? Thinking about it?

Lack of sleep does AMAZING things to a persons brain function...WORSE if you are pre-menopausal...LOL
                      Take a nap, I'm sure your fine...I havent slept thru the night in over 3yrs and I can tell ya I'M NUT-BONKERS because of it!!!

Comment

Boy, Sewcute!!!..........you hit the nail on the head with mentioning peri-menopausal!!!!!! I am 51 and DEFINITELY going through "something"!!!!!!

My family is starting to "worry" about me they said because of some of the things I do and say. That's kind of what prompted me to research that info on the alz.org websit. DH has A LOT of Alzheimer's and Dementia in his family and I worry about it being hereditary with him. My grandmother died two years ago and was 92......she had but her dementia more or less accelerated when she fell and broke her hip and was laying there for almost 2 days until her neighbor found her.
                        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

i sleep all night. soundly.
                          nearly everyone I know who is my age and older gets up on the middle of the night to go potty. I don't.

my MIL is up several times to go potty. once i am up, i'm up for awhile.
                          if i get up to go potty, i'll be doomed.

I hope i never have too.

what was the topic of this thread again?
                          I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

Krub, GREAT information. Seriously. Thank you.

Sewcute...........Do double posts count as dementia?? (Sorry, couldn't resist)

I worry sometimes because I can't remember someone's name right after I am introduced. I worry sometimes because I can't remember if I took that pill I was supposed to take, or did I just think about taking it? I can't find my way out of a paper bag, but, that's always been that way!

I wonder if you are actually aware when Alzheimers or Dementia hits you? You know what I mean? Do you know you are not right? Or, do you not realize it and think that everyone else is just exaggerating about your little "incidents"?
                            Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Great question, Lauren.......I often wonder that myself and think "would I panic or become anxious, because would I "really" know I'm losing my mind????

But then there's that old saying........"ignorance is bliss"......hmmmmmm???? LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X