What would you do in this situation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do in this situation?

I had a call today from our local Movie Gallery, saying that my dh checked out a game on Sept. 5, and the late charges were already up to over $23.
    Only problem is...we didn't check out no game. We don't even have a game box (X-Box 360) to play it on.
    DH called them tonight and they said that his card was scanned and there couldn't be a mistake. We asked if there was a signature card (we always have to sign something), or a time that the transaction occured and they said no. She said the only way that the transaction could have occured is if the card was scanned. They tried to blame my ds, but without a game box...what would he need it for?

How do we fight this? Those games are expensive..on top of the late fees. DH wants to get an attorney...just for the principle of the thing.
    I have a feeling it was a inside job. One of their employees had a friend and they knew how to override the scanner. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Did this ever happen to anyone? What did you do? I just cannot let it ride. They can report this to the credit bureaus.

Re: What would you do in this situation?

I've had the same thing happen. Ended up paying it because I kept getting threatening collection letters and phone calls. I told them I would pay them THEIR cost of the game. Not the retail price. They accepted this.
    The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

Allie, have you spoken to a manager yet? In some cases, there are dishonest employees who take advantage of another's nature or credit. Let them know, and in my case,I got my $$ back, they already knew of the situation.Good luck, Laura

Comment

I would talk to the manager, you (as adult) go in there and calmly explain it. I use blockbusters on line to rent movies and twice sent it back & they never recieved it. I on line told them I sent it back and they never said a word. I think they see this all the time, maybe even ask for a new membership # just incase someone will do it again.

Comment

We closed our account tonight so nothing can be charged again. By the way the girl acted on the phone...she said that there is no way that the scanner messed up and we did it. We will go try and see the manager Friday when dh is off.

Does anyone know how those scanners work? Shouldn't they be able to go back to the date and time the transaction took place? The girl told us that they didn't know the time, but computers always have the time...right? And can't a number be typed in if the card doesn't scan for some reason? The girls asnwers just seemed a little fishy to me.

Comment

The receipt has a date and time so it should be in the computer. Also, at some stores if you don't have your card they ask your phone number instead.
            The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

Yes, they can type in the number instead of scanning the card if someone says they forgot their card or it doesn't swipe right or something. I think they can also do it by phone number like the super markets do. You were smart to close the account. Now if someone tries to use it again, they'll catch them. Good luck in getting the manager to believe you.
              Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Comment

Just playing the devils advocate here, but "could" your son checked out a game to play at a friends game box? Having said that, we have had Blockbuster tell us several times that we have not returned a movie, but we knew we had, and had to call them, and they all of a sudden find it. could be that someone gave your phone number when checking out. Keep going higher in the management and hopefully it will turn out all right.

Comment

If the card was scanned or even the number put in by hand... there HAS to be a date and time on their machine, I'd think. Good luck... let us know how it turns out.
                  "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Does Movie Gallery have a history of everything you've ever checked out in their computer? (I know my library does, but I don't know about video stores.) If so, and that game was the ONLY game of it's type on your record, I would think it would look suspicious.

Comment

I know my ds didn't do it. He has his own account and he is 28 years old. He is a a/c technician and he was on call that Friday/weekend. He came straight home from work because he was in his company van. He was home the rest of the night sitting by the phone in case he had a call. During that day, he was working.
                      My phone number is unlisted, so anyone who could have given it, would have had to know us well. I'm just thinking that it was a friend to the employee, or maybe the employee themselves who wanted a game and found a way to get it free...and put the blame on someone else...since they never turned it in (never intended to)
                      Man, we haven't used that card in over a year, maybe longer. Renting movies is something we seldom do.
                      I just have a gut feeling that this is not going to be easy to prove and I'll probably end up paying for it to keep it off of our credit report. But, we are going tell our story to anyone who will listen and get them to cancel their accounts too and we will call the BBB and put in a complaint. We live in a very small town, so they will know it.

Comment

HomeBuddy, we will find that out Friday. They can look at our history and I was never late returning anything, not once. And no, never rented a game.

Comment

Good luck, Allie. Let us know how this turns out. If it was an "inside" job, you may not be the only victim. Hopefully the manager or owner will get this resolved for you.

Another video store story...the brother of one of my daughter's friends was working at a video store (part of a chain) when a customer came in to return several games. He went to check the games in and realized the games had been checked out from a different location. There was a second customer standing there who conveniently said, "oh, I have to go right by there...I can drop them off". The games never made it to the second location. He lost his job--very nice kid, but trusted the wrong person.

Comment

Wait... you haven't used this card in like a YEAR, never rented a video game, and now there's a video game on it and you have no video game system???

And they're actually QUESTIONING you about it rather than apologizing for some OBVIOUS error???

Stand your ground on this one, Allie!! Someone's messing up in that store!!
                            "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

i don't understand about the card, here, at movie gallery, we have to show ID, give them the phone number and they match the two, carefully. i have a "gift card" sorta thing, some card i purchased that was for 13 rentals? but if i lost it, then it's someone else's it don't match to me.

if i give the wong home number then it doesn't match my ID.
                              I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

Working...
                              X