Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Haven't cooked this in 10 years..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haven't cooked this in 10 years..........

Chicken 'N Dumplins !!

Love them too! My DH loves them.

But I've never cooked them for him! Can you believe that?

I don't know why!
    Maybe because he isn't accustomed to most "country/southern style" cooking - so I'm afraid what he was used to is something different from what i might cook, so I've just never cooked this for him.

Crazy huh?
    With cold weather approaching - might be the time!

Re: Haven't cooked this in 10 years..........

I have never eaten it or cooked it, probably never will.

Comment

It's really a comforting dish.
      I've heard that Cracker Barrell has this and it's very good.

Once it gets cold, might just have to make a pot full!
      If he doesn't like it, can always bring it to work! Those folks will eat anything!

Comment

Larry would eat this five days a week if he could...

TAMMY’S CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS

2.5-3LB. chicken, cut up
        2 Tbsp. butter
        1 Tsp. salt
        2 stalks celery, cut into 1inch pieces
        1 medium onion, chopped
        3 c. chicken broth
        1/4 tsp. pepper
        1 bay leaf
        4 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
        1/2 c. cold water
        3 Tbsp. flour

In dutch oven or deep skillet, brown chicken in hot butter. Add salt, celery, onion, broth, bayleaf, pepper. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer covered, approx. 30 minutes. Add carrots, cover and simmer 15 minutes or until just about tender. Remove chicken from pan, debone and break into large chunks; return to pan. Mix water and flour, stir into mixture; heat until boils and thickens. Add dumplings.

FLUFFY DUMPLINGS
        1.5 c. flour
        1 tsp. minced parsley
        2 tsp. baking powder
        ˝ tsp. salt
        2/3 c. milk
        2 Tbsp. oil
        1 egg, slightly beaten

In medium bowl, combine first 4 ingredients. Stir in remaining ingredients just until dry ingredients are moistened. Drop dough by Tbspfuls onto hot chicken in boiling stew. Cook covered, 12-15 minutes or until dumplings are fluffy and no longer doughy underneath. MAKES 8-10

Comment

Makes me want some now for sure!!

Comment

I cook a pot several times thru the winter, it's just too hot here any other time. When it starts getting cold, the first pot luck we have at work everyone wants me to make chicken 'n Dumplins! lol

My dad had just had open heart surgery, and I told him when he's ready for it I'll make him some chicken and dumplins. He asked me for some his last full day in the hospital, so I brought him a big ole bowl, my sister was there, she was so upset, she'd been asking dad everyday, what do you want me to bring you to eat... over and over!!! He hurt her feelings because he asked me for something! I thought it was funny!!! lol She didn't! We still tease her about it!
            "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Awwwwwwwwwww........!
              That is a cute story!

You've convinced me that I definitely have to make some when it finally gets to be cold weather!

Comment

I had NEVER made this before until about a year ago. I decided to give it a try and they were actually pretty good. We have had them a few times since then and we still like them

I used boneless skinless chicken breast and I also used the Bisquick (sp?)
                Visit my blog at: http://midlifemotherhood45.blogspot.com/

Comment

I haven't had them in years either. Good ones, that is. Had Cracker Barrels and didn't like them at all. Nothing like the light and fluffy ones my mom used to make.
                  The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

A favorite of mine too. I also prefer the baking powder light/fluffy dumplings as opposed to the 'gummy' type. Once in a blue moon I'll get a 'taste' for that type - the recipe I use for those is from a small PA Dutch pamphlet of recipes, and they're called 'slippery noodles'.

Yes, cool weather always means chicken dumplings of beef stew, and I'll often make dumplings for that too.

Comment

My dumplings NEVER turn out..they are icky! Any advice?

Comment

Tearose84, my dumplins weren't the greatest, either, until I tried the floured torillas (cut into strips)! Now my family asks for them all the time. I just made then a few weeks ago!

Comment

I buy my dumplins in the freezer section of walmart and they are really good and much easier than making your own. I also use the boneless chicken breasts.

Comment

Y'all are making me hungry! My roomie makes c&d with hard boiled eggs added (chopped). She uses canned biscuits, so most of you probably wouldn't like that, but she uses bone-in chicken, which adds to the depth of flavor - it's always yummy!!

Oh, and thanks for the recipe, Ang!
                            I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Dark meat chicken also adds so much flavor to Chicken and Dumplings - my 100 yo Grandmother makes the very best C&D.

Comment

Working...
                              X