I was THAT person on Thursday..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was THAT person on Thursday..

Yep. I was a huge pain in the butt. I was that person that NO ONE wants to be behind in line at the Grocery Store. I was a NUISANCE.. (no offense, Nu!)

Our Minyards here is clearancing out their Greeting Card line. All Greeting cards are 75% off!!! I am the one that usually picks up the cards for everyone's Birthdays at work - and Sympathy and Get Well, etc.... Well, if you have priced Greeting Cards lately, you know that 75% off is a heck of a deal!!!!

So, I'm filling my cart with every card for every relative, friend, co-worker, etc. for the next two years! There is a lady next to me that tells me she works at the Minyards across town, and they are really picked over, so she came to this one. Still TONS of cards left. She tells me that the clearance also includes the gift bags, packaged cards, wrapping paper, tissue paper and bows. So, I'm all over that. I pick up a nice assortment of bags, bows, ribbons, etc....

Now I'm in line. The poor teenage boy that is brand new and all of about 16 gets ME. He starts ringing up my cards. Some of them ring up correctly, some don't. I am like the freakin' Gestapo when it comes to the ones that are not ringing up correctly. STOP RIGHT THERE! That one did not ring up right. Calls Manager, gets over-ride. The people in line behind me are not happy with ME. Then he begins to ring up the Gift Bags. One rings up right, the next one does not. Once again, I HALT HIM! He says, maybe it's only the cards? I say, no, I was told the bags, etc. are also on clearance. Plus, the other bags rang up correctly. Manager comes back over. He is 12. He does not know his rear-end from a hole in the ground. He shrugs, and says "Sorry, must just be the cards." I don't argue. I am weary at this point. So, a couple of voids later..... Some of the bags and tissue and bow ring up correctly, some don't. The ones that don't, I make him void out. Anyone still left in line behind me, is now shooting daggers through me. I feel sheepish, but at the same time, is it really MY fault that someone did not do their job correctly? I mean, we are talking about SEVERAL DOLLARS IN SAVINGS HERE! Had it just been a few cents here and there, I would have let it go.

My question to you.... Why was the staff upset with ME because someone had not marked down the merchandise down correctly? Why was the Manager irked at ME because HE did not know what was supposed to be on clearance and what was not? Some of the bags, same brand, etc. rang up at Clearance price. Some did not. The customers were also pissed at me for taking so long. I was very polite, I was not ugly, I did not cause a scene, I just simply called them on the ones that rang up incorrectly. I did not demand that they give me the bags for the clearance price after the Manager told me "maybe the bags aren't on clearance"... I just told them I didn't want the bags that did not ring up at clearance price.

I felt bad when I left, but then I started thinking... What did I really do wrong? Why was everyone mad at me? The customers were mad because they were having to wait behind me, - there were only 2 lanes open.. at 5pm.....Why couldn't the store open another lane? Why couldn't the clerks and manager know what was supposed to be on clearance?

Was I really so horrible??

Sorry, just had to vent.
    Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Re: I was THAT person on Thursday..

Lauren:

I'll give you my response from both viewpoints. As the person who could have been behind you I probably would have been extemely annoyed and shooting the daggers. However, that would have been my problem and not yours. By the time I've spent time going up and down the aisles, I hate to stand in line and wait and anything that makes me wait longer tends to get on my nerves. Having said that, I am a firm believer in great customer service.

As the customer, I would have done the exact same thing you did and I too would have been extremely irritated with the store management. I have found in situations such as that, once I get home and have time to calm down, I call the store back and find out who is the General Manager. Then I call and find out when they are scheduled to be in. I find a time that I know they will be there and store will not be busy and I go in and explain the problem first hand. By that time, I am able to calmly explain what happened and I don't seem like the customer from you know where. Last time this happened, it was at our local grocery store (part of a national chain). The manager was very concerned, gave me a $20 gift card. I found out later from someone I know who works there that the employee was counselled.

Comment

No you weren't wrong, even if you did take my name in vain!!! lol The customer is alway right! Sale items should have been priced right. I watch the register also when buying sale items.

Comment

I did feel really, really bad for the lady right behind me. If she had gotten there before it was my turn, I would have let her go ahead. She had one pound cake. And one 5 dollar bill in her hand. Bless her heart...
        Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

What is wrong with our bussiness' today? Do they NOT WANT YOU MONEY? They act sometimes as if they are doing you a favor, when you can buy thier stuff at a million places! Or is it the snotty teeny-bopper cash register girl who is more concered with taking her break, than the LINE of customers she has before her?

Lauren, you did nothing wrong (I would THROWN daggers at you from behind...but you did nothing wrong!!! LOL)

OMG...I am on the WAR PATH today...I must be PMS-ing...can I say that? Too LATE...I did SO THERE

Comment

Hey... not YOUR fault their cash registers weren't programmed to ring up the sale merchandise correctly!!

I had a similar experience at WalMart years ago where my sale purchase didn't ring up correctly and when I mentioned to the checker that it was on sale... she looked at me like i was trying to steal the packets of hair rubberbands I was buying and told me I'd have to pay full price.

I stood in line and waited my turn like everyone else...

So, I just took a step back and folded my arms till she called someone up to go check. That person came back to tell her they were full price... at which point I got out of line and took that person over to the rack where the SALE price was advertised. People behind me were furious!

We went back to the checker who then told me she'd have to charge me full price and I'd have to then go to customer service for a refund of the sale difference. I said, "I'm NOT leaving here."

She made the register accept the price and I went on my way. I did NOT turn and apologize to the people behind me cause I was NOT at fault!!

You did right, Lauren!!

I don't mind standing in line... isn't that why they print the Inquirer??? ha ha
            "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

The store needs to have the correct sales price in the computer, so when you check out, it's the correct sale price. Store is at fault. that's how I see it. Not your fault, and I can't blame you for insisting on getting the price right, I would have done the same.
              But having said that, had I been in line behind you, I would have lost my patience real fast and gone to a different check -out. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by LaurenB View Post
                I did feel really, really bad for the lady right behind me. If she had gotten there before it was my turn, I would have let her go ahead. She had one pound cake. And one 5 dollar bill in her hand. Bless her heart...
                that's what she gets for going to Minyards....lol I stopped going to Kroger's here lately, there price'$ are out of control and then almost ever time I go there they expect me to pay that high ass price and bag them.....PLEASE!....LOL I stared going to Albertsons and walmart their a lot cheaper and more to chose from and you don't have to bag a thing
                "Copykat Chat Forums" on Facebook, look it up!

E-Foo

Comment

You did nothing wrong, I would of turned to the person behind me and said along the lines, I'm sorry this is taking so long, but the prices won't ring up right. Hopefully, I would of been behind you and told you, it's ok. At one time the Kroger store near us had a policy that if something does not ring up right, you get it free, but I don't think that is the current policy.

Comment

Eric, I know, right?? Minyards sucks, and has always sucked. But, what a great deal I finally wound up getting on the items that DID ring up right!

Luvs, something similar happened to me at Kohls once. I found a pair of slacks on a shelf with $29.99 sign. I tried them on, liked them, then went to buy them. They rang up $45. Oh, I don't think so. So, I told the clerk. She calls someone in that department. They tell her there is no sale on these slacks. I say fine. I'll be right back. I go to the department. I grab the sign and bring it to the Cashier. I got the pants at the sale price. And, lots of apologies from the cashier. Luckily, it was mid-day and there was no one behind me in line.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                    X