Purple potatoes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purple potatoes!

I read where they are healthier because they have more anitoxidants! Got 2 lbs of baby purple potatoes this morning, had no idea how to cook them so I threw them in a pan with some chicken broth, butter and garlic. Anyone else cook these up?

Re: Purple potatoes!

I've seen them only on tv, or the internet, but.... Slashfood.com has them on their blog today showing how to make microwave chips, the purple chips look pretty neat. Let us know if they taste any different. I'd probably have to drive to DFW area to find them, 1.5 hrs away, none of the stores here have them.

Comment

Yes, I cook them too, but I usually buy them in a mix of mini reds, mini fingerlings, etc. at my grocery store. I just coat them with olive oil and seasonings and roast the either all alone or as part of a roasted veggie mix. I find they cook up with a different texture than the rest of the potatoes though. It's not necessarily a "bad" texture, it's just different. Maybe starchier???? I dunno, hard to explain.
      The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

I have bought yellow, purple, red and blue. Personally I think it is a riot to make mashed potatoes. My neices (young) just love fun foods. I did buy the mixed bag of fingerlings last year and oven roasted them. I saw a recipe once for potato salad, but I am not a fan of potato salad so-

Comment

I see them at the store, but I have never bought them or fixed nor eaten them. Always wondered how they taste?

Comment

I don't see them very often but I love to make potato salad with the blue/purple, yellow, white and sweet potato - so very colourful. They taste like any other potato.

Comment

I have had these before, I have pretty much boiled them then added a little butter and seasonings. They taste pretty much like regular potatoes.

StephanieM

Comment

I get the mix of them to and like them. I usually just boil them up and then put them in a pan with butter and garlic and broil them until crispy. Tasty!

Comment

In case anyone is interested, here is a potato salad a friend of mine gave to me using various colors of potatoes (including the purple ones).

Patriotic Potato Salad
                  Makes 8 servings

1 pound each red, white & purple potatoes (cleaned and scrubbed, but not peeled
                  1/3 cup mayonnaise
                  2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
                  1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (rounded tbsp or use Dijonaise)
                  1 1/4 teaspoons celery seeds
                  1 1/2 tab chopped green onions
                  Salt & Pepper to taste

Cover red/white potatoes with cold water and add salt. Boil "purple" potatoes in a separate pot. Bring each pot to a boil.
                  Reduce heat and simmer potatoes partially covered until they are fork-tender (about 12 to 15 minutes).
                  Drain potatoes and let them cool, then cut them into 3/4 to 1 inch chunks.
                  In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard and celery seeds.
                  Add all of the potatoes, the green onions, salt and pepper tossing gently to coat evenly.
                  The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

Working...
                  X