Beer butt chicken Qs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer butt chicken Qs

I've never done one before... Babe always does it!

Should I put the whole grill on low heat? Or should I put one grill portion on medium and put the chicken on the other side that's not lit?

OR... should I bag the grill and do it in a 350 oven??

I have gluten free beer (made from sorghum!) and can't wait to try it!

TIA!
    "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Re: Beer butt chicken Qs

i do mine in the oven. that way you don't have to worry about flames and you can do what ever for 1 1/2 hours while the chicken is baking.
    SHEL

Comment

I have always wanted to try this. What all do you put in the can? Do you season the chicken to?

Comment

Originally posted by kirkland View Post
        I have always wanted to try this. What all do you put in the can? Do you season the chicken to?
        According to all the recipes I've read, the can of beer should be about 1/2 full... but you can use any kind of liquid.. fruit juices, etc. You're supposed to season the chicken inside and out w/ any kind of yummy chicken spices/rub.

I think I'll use the oven and will let you know how it turns out.

Comment

Yes - please let me know how it turns out and what all you use to season etc.

Comment

luvs is right.....can should be about half full.

Paula Deen has a recipe on her website or at the Food Network if you want specifics.

It's really easy and really tasty!

Comment

They are really good! Very moist and tender. I agree 1/2 can beer. I had forgotten about this way of making chicken....will have to fix it again soon!
              Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

[QUOTE=EMail Queen;279946]luvs is right.....can should be about half full.QUOTE]

Don't you mean half empty?
                Aren't you supposed to drink the first half of the can before starting to cook it? (giggle)

Comment

[QUOTE=Hayburner;280057]
                  Originally posted by EMail Queen View Post
                  luvs is right.....can should be about half full.QUOTE]

Don't you mean half empty?
                  Aren't you supposed to drink the first half of the can before starting to cook it? (giggle)
                  It's only half empty if you're not an optimist!! ha ha

Comment

Well, I'll have to say that roasting the chicken as usual would have been easier and just as tasty, I'm thinking.

I rubbed the bird w/ a mixture of 1/2 teaspoons of salt, pepper, paprika, basil, garlic and onion powder and it was yummy... but no different that a normal roasted chicken.

But I got to drink the other 1/2 of the beer, so I guess it all worked out.... haha.

Comment

IMHO I don't think you can beat the crockpot rotisserie chicken for juicy and tasty.
                      Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

I tried the crockpot rotisserie chicken once and found it kind of tasteless... guess I didn't use the right rub or seasoning. I'm back to plain old roasting...

Comment

You guys crack me up!

I might not better get started on that first half of the beer - might decide to drink it all, and have another - and forget what I was about to do with the chicken!

BTW - I have not heard of "crock pot rotisserie chicken". Is this a crock pot recipe that you do at home?

Comment

Oh yea - some folks call the Beer Butt Chicken: "Drunken Chicken"

Comment

[QUOTE=EMail Queen;280167]You guys crack me up!

I might not better get started on that first half of the beer - might decide to drink it all, and have another - and forget what I was about to do with the chicken!

BTW - I have not heard of "crock pot rotisserie chicken". Is this a crock pot recipe that you do at home?[/QUOTE

Yes, I think it is posted in the archives--I will try to find it for you
                              Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

Working...
                              X