• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've never had curry

Is it spicy hot?
    Any real easy recipes to ease a curry virgin into trying it? lol

Re: I've never had curry

I Had "indian"/middle Eastern Style Curry Years Ago, Didn't Care For It, Too Strong A Taste. But, We Have A Thai Restaurant Here And Their Curry Is Good, Just A Suddle Taste.
    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I have a wonderful, complicated lamb curry recipe. It is hot, but it's served w/ a whole bunch of awesome "condiments" that help w/ the heat... like chopped nuts, bananas, cucumbers in yogurt, chutney, and coconut.
      "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Nothing complicated and I better start out with something mild. I found a curry rice recipe I printed out...

Comment

AngID, I've had sauteed chicken with veggies in a simple red curry with coconut milk, and it was delish-not very hot, just very different subtle flavors. BUT--WARNING!!!!!! Do not cook the yellow (really any curry) in the house. Okay, I know that sounds bizzare, but the times I did, I could not get that smell out of the house for months! We also had to repaint an employee's new apt, the last tenants were Mid-Easterners or Indians, and we could NOT scrub, clorox, enough to get rid of the smell---it even got into the A/C duct work. Danger Will Robinson!!! JMHO, Laura
          PS---has this hapened to anyone else????? Bizzare, no???

Comment

Curry is just a mix of spices. It can be hot or just spicy with no heat. Here is a recipe that I've used often with great results even with non-curry people.

This is one of my favorites. It is so easy and I usually double sauce so that I have lots. If doubling the sauce then don't add extra oil and use a large container of plain yogurt.

Tandoori Chicken

This is quick, easy, exotic and delicious. What more could you want?

One whole or cut up chicken or 8 favorite chicken parts Juice from one lemon
            2 tsp. salt
            1 tsp. cumin seed
            1 tsp. coriander seed
            1 tsp. crushed dried red pepper (or use less if you don't like heat)
            1 large onion cubed
            6 cloves garlic (or more)
            1 inch peeled fresh ginger
            2 tsp. turmeric
            1/2 C Vegetable oil
            1 tbsp. vinegar
            1 C yogurt

1. Rinse and dry chicken, remove all fat (and skin if desired). Make 2 diagonal cuts on thigh and leg (separate if desired for easier handling later)

2. Put all above ingredients (except yogurt and chicken) into blender and blend until smooth. Add yogurt.

3. Pour over chicken. Turn chicken to coat all surfaces and let marinate at least 4 hours at room temperature or overnight in refrigerator. (Actually I like this so much sometimes I don't event let it marinate, I just mix all the ingredients together and cook it as described below.)

4. Bring chicken to room temperature to roast

5. Place chicken in well buttered roasting pan just large enough to hold chicken

6. Pour marinade over chicken - DO NOT cover with foil or lid

7. Place in lower third of preheated 375 oven

8. Roast for 30 minutes basting a couple of times. Turn chicken to other side and repeat. Check for doneness.

9. Serve with rice.

WARNING - THIS SAUCE STAINS SO EAT RESPONSIBLY

Comment

I have an easy chicken divan recipe and I use curry in it. First time I made it, I used too much curry, so I cut back and now it's perfect.

Comment

This honey mustard curry is good for beginners.

Chicken Curry

Ingredients:
                1/2 C. Honey
                1/4 C. Prepared yellow or stone-ground mustard
                2 T. Butter
                1 Onion, chopped
                1/2 T. Garlic powder
                1 1/2 T. Crushed red pepper flakes
                2 tsp. Curry powder
                1/2 tsp. Ground ginger
                8 Chicken thighs, with skin
                6 Potatoes
                4 Carrots
                8 oz. Fresh mushrooms
                Place chicken thighs in a 9x13 pan or Dutch oven and bake at 375 F.
                Clean and slice the vegetables and set aside.
                Put all remaining ingredients including the onions into a sauce pan, bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes.
                By this time, the chicken will have cooked some, though not thoroughly. Take it out of the oven and add the vegetables. Pour the spice concoction over the top of all.
                Cover tightly and bake for about 2 hours.

Comment

i also just made curry for the first time and i don't go for spicy foods at all; just go easy on the powder. you might really like it ! i did !
                  I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

Comment

I like it chicken salad. A little goes along way...

Comment

Working...
                    X