What about my hummingbird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about my hummingbird?

OK, I've never had a hummingbird feeder, but in the spring I found one marked down at WM, so I thought WTH. After waiting a couple of months I had a lone visitor, and he shows up many times a day, so I'm worried about him if I take the thing away! My friend Bonnie assures me he'll find another source, and I'm sure Nature takes care of this sort of thing, but I hate to abandon him. I know my roomie won't be able to keep it up (she has MS and a 3 1/2 yr old) - what to do?? I guess I could come by (it's on the way home from work to my new place) like every couple of weeks to change it.....
    I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.

Re: What about my hummingbird?

Actually it should be leaving soon. They migrate. Regardless, there should still be plenty of flowers down your way for it to feed from.

Comment

I'm no expert, but I believe they migrate to Central America. Every year during late summer, we have a lot more visitors to our feeders than normal. Then, they're gone. I live in Mississippi, so I assume they're just passing through on their journey. I'm sure your little hummer will be fine, it may be just passing through, too. Fascinating little creatures.

Comment

I agree, they migrate. I have feeders and they are here during the summer month and then they disappear to come in the spring , sometime.

Comment

Aww, thanks y'all! I'll leave it here (and come back for it later), but I'll miss the little guy! It's the kind of feeder with a perch, and he has really made himself at home.
          Last edited by CrabbyMcClaw; 10-01-2008, 08:37 PM.

Comment

I read somewhere that you should put the hummingbird feeders up when it starts cooling down so they will migrate...
            Otherwise they will stay with the feeder and could freeze to death.
            I love hummingbirds too. We have several little friends!
            Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Originally posted by TexAnn View Post
              I read somewhere that you should put the hummingbird feeders up when it starts cooling down so they will migrate...
              Otherwise they will stay with the feeder and could freeze to death.
              I love hummingbirds too. We have several little friends!

That's right - you should remove the feeder so he can be on his way South - if you don't he could freeze to death before he has an opportunity to start his trip South. We remove ours the first of Oct. to give them time to be on their way before the first freeze.

Comment

That's good to know! Where are you, Boadecia? Do you think I should pull it now? Or give him a few weeks? I'm in Charleston, SC.
                I really know nothing about these cute little critters except that they are fierce feeders because of the amount of energy it takes just to get through the day beating their wings a million (jk) times a second!

Comment

Crabby, check out a magazine called "Birds and Blooms". It is fascinating. There are fabulouse hummer pics as well as info on gardens etc that attract our feathered friends. Definitely worth the subscription price.
                  Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

Thanks, Ginger! Beautiful site - thanks for turning me on to it!! I found a pic that looks like my little guy and saved it for my wallpaper!

Comment

Crabby, I'm 50 mi. west of Charlotte - we pulled ours last week because we have had unusually cool weather for our area - just to be safe, my DH said to tell you to take it down now so he can be on his way. (He's the hummingbird authority).

Comment

They will not hang around and freeze to death.I leave mine up until the middle of Oct.Any that I see now are ones that are just flying through.All of the resident ones are long gone.I live in the Northern Panhandle of West Va.

Comment

We love the hummingbirds too I'm taking our feeders down today. Every Spring it's like a race between me and hubby, who will be the first one to put the feeders out LOL!
                          A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

here's a site with good humming bird info.

http://www.hummingbirds.net/

here's some info about when to take the feeder down:

When should I take down my feeder in the fall?
                            All good things, as they say, must come to an end. Unless you live in California, that usually includes hummingbirds, at least until next spring. Depending on where in North America you live, the fall departure for the southward migration typically occurs between July and November. Here in St. Louis, the normal date is October 15, unless an earlier hard frost drives the birds south ahead of schedule.
                            Hummingbirds migrate in response to hormonal changes, which are triggered by decreasing length of daylight; nothing you can do will make them stay too long, so it's not necessary to stop feeding them to force them to go south. On the contrary: they will need to fatten up to nearly double normal body weight to survive the journey, and thus appreciate your feeder more than ever up until literally the last minute before they depart.
                            I recommend continuing to maintain at least one feeder for a week or two after seeing your last hummer of the season. Sometimes an individual bird can't migrate on schedule, due to illness or injury: these late migrants in particular will appreciate having a reliable source of food at a time when few natural flowers are still in bloom. There's no need to risk your feeder freezing solid, though, so you needn't get carried away with the concept.

Comment

I get Birds & Blooms magazine. Love it!
                              Love my little Hummers!
                              I still have a few battling it out over the feeders. Agressive little things!

So after having read the last entry (from lovesdogs) - I think I will refill mine (I have 2, 1 broke) one or two more times and let mid-October be the time to take them down.

I love them! They are fascinating little things. They fly right up to the feeder when we're sitting next to it on the porch, hover around, check us out, then go about their business eating. They are so close you can feel the wind from their wings. That is cool!

I also make my own nectar and have for years - much cheaper!

Oh - and Crabby - next Spring hang your feeders in your new place - and to entice them - put them near some colorful or white plants/flowers. They'll soon find the feeders and you'll have a whole new batch of little hummers!

Comment

Working...
                              X