Ham radio operators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ham radio operators

I just received my Neighborhood Watch Newsletter which offered a Ham Operator Exam for our State wide Earthquake Drill in Nov. It seems to make sense that when (not if) the 'big one' hits that phones, internet, many cellsphones (as in our last SoCal quake went down.) that Ham radios may be the major source of communication.
    So, does anyone have info on ham radio operators? I know that the equipment is very expensive but one neighbor seems to have a set up and maybe I could be a relief operator?

Re: Ham radio operators

my grandfather was big into ham radio, but that is all the info i know.
    SHEL

Comment

Re: Ham radio operators

KD4DWK here ....... Once you have your license, you will meet up with other hams. In the group you will find lots of buddies with wonderful advice on equipment, ham fests where used equipment is available and always, wonderful hams who are willing to help you set up. Some people have a base station set up in their homes (we used to, but not now) and monitor the different frequencies. We have hand held units where we are able to check in with the weekly local "net" -- that's a "howdie, my call sign is ... just checking in" kind of group. They share local news and what might be going on in the world of hams. Good luck! It's fun. DH and I are not as active as we once were .. we participated in walkathons as support personnel and was part of a very active group. You're whetting my interest now in getting back into it. Hope this is a little to get you started.

Comment

Working...
      X