Voting - parents v. kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voting - parents v. kids

I think my kids want to vote just to spite DH & me. I sent in their Voter Regis. forms anyway. Was that stupid to do ?
    I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

Re: Voting - parents v. kids

Do you mean they DON'T vote to spite you and DH? Babe (age 53) had never registered cause he said he didn't want his vote tied to being called for jury duty. I told him, loudly and angrily, that it's not tied to anything (altho they did use to use voter registration to call people for juries) and voting was not ONLY a privilege, but a RESPONSIBILITY. I am quick to SHUT PEOPLE UP who complain about the way our country is run only to find out they're not registered and don't vote.

I sent in Babe's registration and take him by the EAR to vote when it's time!!!

OR, do you mean that they vote for the people you don't vote for just to spite you? My ex-husband and I cancelled out each other's votes forever... but we still voted!!
    "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

No, start them young (18) with voting and hopefully they will remember to always vote. I still remind my kids, ages 22-29, that they need to vote. My grandfather always worked the polling places, so it has always been ingrained in me to vote.

Comment

I was in the first group of 18 year olds to vote when they changed the voting age. I took it very seriously as do all my kids.

Comment

I though voting was a civic responsibility.

Comment

my kids dance to the beat of their own drummer.
            I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

Comment

I just tell my kids "IF YOU DON'T VOTE, YOU CAN'T COMPLAIN ABOUT THE WAY YOUR COUNTRY IS BEING RUN." Seems to get them motivated.
              Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

luvs, does your husband realize that you get called for jury duty fromother sources besides the voters card??

DMV as well, and if at DMV you are registered as J.H Smith and on your votor card you are registered as John Smith then you are in twice.

seems like there was something else that they pull in for jury duty.. i forget what they said when i served.

and if you are called for jury duty you can easily get out of it.
                I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

I take my right to vote pretty seriously. What the women before us had to go through to earn us this right would make me feel really guilty if I were to just disregard it...

BUT - I will not vote yes or no on an issue unless I completely understand what it is I am voting for. They use some pretty tricky wording on some of the issues too... I hate that!
                  Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Stella View Post
                    luvs, does your husband realize that you get called for jury duty fromother sources besides the voters card??

DMV as well, and if at DMV you are registered as J.H Smith and on your votor card you are registered as John Smith then you are in twice.

seems like there was something else that they pull in for jury duty.. i forget what they said when i served.

He knows NOW... and never even MIND the conversation we had about shirking your civic duty to perform jury duty if called.

I had a smarmy employer who said he could write me a note to get out of jury dury. I told him I was called and would serve!! He told me I was a dope.

I really think Babe was using the jury duty excuse for not registering and voting cause he was just lazy... he's not lazy anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Stella View Post

It is easy to get out of jury duty ?? Really, how ? Short of your employer writing a note to get you out. I have been called many times, and I went downtown to do my duty. I know that you can call and ask to have it changed to a different date, I have done that myself. But get out of it , and don't serve at all, that is news to me. Please share how you do that.

Comment

Working...
                      X