Quick, somebody make me laugh...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick, somebody make me laugh...

A 90 year old woman shot and killed herself when police tried to evict her from her foreclosed home.

It's gonna get worse before it gets better...

*sigh*

Re: Quick, somebody make me laugh...

OMG! That's awful!
    Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

That is so awful, and yes, it is going to get worse.

My youngest daughter has been on an emotional roller coaster all week. She's single, has a mortgage and car payment and works for Wachovia in the securities/brokerage division. It's bad enough the past few weeks have been terrible for stock brokers dealing with justifiably panicked stockholders, but then Wachovia in effect goes belly up. One day they're told they'll be working for Citibank and then this a.m. for Wells Fargo. I now hear on the evening news that there is a major controversy brewing over that purchase. Very stressful to have one's livelihood hanging in the balance.

Comment

this all makes me so depressed. Mew, I hope things work out okay for your daughter. I wish I had a good joke to tell now...

Comment

Thanks. The worst thing is that she's not alone. This is happening to literally thousands and thousands of people all over the country.

Comment

I read where she shot herself in the shoulder and is in the hospital, still a very sad state of affairs.

Comment

i agree it's terrible that things have gotten so bad that the woman felt she needed to kill herself.

But I am wondering how will it get worse before it gets better?
              because the woman is 90 ? because the authorities shouldn't have forced a little old lady out of a home? she should have just lived there with out making her payments? that'll help the economy....
              weather you are 19 or 119, if you don't make the payments that are due on your property then yes you should lose it.
              and i am sure these people who came to evict her did not show up unexpected, she knew she was going to lose her home.

nothing is worth killing yourself over, or even shooting yourself over.
              I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

That is very sad.

Stella, I think Ang meant that this is going to be the type of news we will unfortunately be hearing more of in the future. I agree that if you don't pay, you lose, but more and more people are not going to be able to keep up.
                I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

no, the woman should not just get away scott free because she is 90. NO ONE SHOULD 'get away' with anything. I still feel bad for her though. She is on a fixed income I am sure and there is no way she can work. She worked and paid taxes all her life to build her life around her and then BAM, she is too old to work and doesn't MAKE any money so lets make her taxes so high she can't pay them.

What makes me so mad/sad is that some of these people OWN their houses but land tax and school tax has gone up so much that they can't afford to pay it. Now these people who have owned there house for 40 years + are losing their property. It's not right.
                  Last edited by flutterby; 10-04-2008, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Her house has been foreclosed since 2007, plenty of time for her to take action and do something about it. You don't ignore a foreclosure, I don't care how old you are. She shot herself in her arm, that doesn't sound like she was serious about killing herself. Who knows what her thinking was ?
                    I read on the internet that Fannie Mae mortgage assoc. is halting actions against her. They will forgive the outstanding balance and sign the property outright over to her. In other words she gets the house free and clear.
                    So my question is , will Fannie Mae do that for everybody who is having their house foreclosed ?? Just wondering?

Comment

Fat chance!

Comment

I don't want to be rude, but I can't help but wonder if anyone out there has ever suffered the conscequences of an illness or death of a spouse that wiped them out financially and were put in a position that they could no longer afford all the niceties that were in the plan, but fell through. I am telling you that it CAN happen to anybody.

Comment

You don't ignore a foreclosure. You call the mortgage company and hope you can work something out. Or you lose your house and have to move to something less expensive. JMHO And to answer your question TxAnn, I have lost two spouses. One in VietNam, killed in action, and one to cancer after 23 years of marriage. So,yes, I know what those events can do to your life.

Comment

I am terribly sorry to hear of your losses Sabine and certainly didn't mean to discredit you in any way!
                            I was just expressing the fact that things happen to people that put them into positions that they would never be in if they could help it. I am sorry I offended you, but I can understand how this woman must feel. I don't know about foreclosures, but maybe she wasn't able to do anything to help herself.
                            Again, my apologies...

Comment

TexAnn, absolutely no need to apologize. Yes, I agree with you things can happen in anybody's life that can turn things upside down, and you feel like you just don't know how to go on.
                              There is so much about this woman and this case that we don't know. Why wasn't there somebody, anybody helping her ?? Why at age 90 did she still have a mortgage ? Like I said there is so much more to all of this, much more then we read about in the paper and internet.
                              But if Fannie Mae really is going through with it and giving her the house free and clear, well, that could backfire on them. Other people who are old and sick, may feel they also deserve to get their house free and clear.

Comment

Working...
                              X