Thanksgiving Menu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanksgiving Menu

Has anyone else, other than myself, started planning a thanksgiving menu?

Re: Thanksgiving Menu

Well I hate turkey. I'd much rather order pizza! We go to my Mom's every year and she makes her famous (well, in our family anyways) Chicken Soup w/ Meatballs. We always have a contest on how many meatballs there are in the 2 extra large pots of soup. Last year there were 756 tiny meatballs! We take bets and at least a $1 a guess. Whoever wins gives her the money.

We do have turkey, ham, dressing, mashed potatoes, yams, green beans, salad, corn on the cob, desserts, desserts, desserts, etc....
    "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Comment

It's the same menu every year, no brainer for me.
      Turkey, gravy, ham, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, sausage cornbread dressing, green bean casserole, green salad, rolls.
      Daughter / granddaughters take care of dessert.

Comment

Basically the standard Traditional Menu similar to Sabine's.
        When it is just us four I will sometimes do Cornish Hens and several of the same sides only smaller.
        Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Pretty much same menu every year here too. My family insists on the "traditionals" and tells me every single year that Thanksgiving is NOT the time to be trying out new recipes because they look forward to those "traditionals" so much.

That's fine, but to me, being the one that has to cook the meal, the holidays are all about the "thrill of the hunt" for something new and exciting. I feel like my creativity gets stifled when they act like this because I love to entertain. And I don't host Christmas since I host Thanksgiving, so I feel at Christmas why bother for just the few of us.
          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, probably 'cause of my grandma's dressing. So good. But this year, we will be in South Carolina with DH's family, so not sure what to expect, but I bet there will be sweet potato pie.

Comment

I have not decided yet but it's between traditional Turkey with all the fixings or Bootlegger's beef, mashed potatoes and asparagus.

Comment

Always at moms, she makes the turkey, ham, mashed potatos and dressing and delegates what everyone else brings, which can be anything squash casserole usually, green beans, rolls, pecan and pumplin pies, "pink stuff" (that's a have to! lol) sweet poatatos, or we may not make one of those and go for a new one. Everyone has loved the ranch mushrooms I made at July 4th, bet I make those again! lol

Comment

Our neighbor's invited us to a fancy restaurant w/ them, but Babe told them that if I don't cook the meal, I can't eat it... cause if stuffing is cooked in the bird, I can't eat it!

I've given up on corn bread dressing... I've tried it like 3 or 4 times and it's just no good... so I'll use my good bread mix (can't have wheat, etc) and make my own bread stuffing. I've had much better luck w/ that than corn bread. I need to go to my good southern friend's house WHEN she makes it so I can watch and learn.

We'll have turkey, gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, some veggie... maybe peas, since I can't eat green bean casserole... cranberry sauce (Babe's fave... from the can!), and a pecan and a pumpkin pie... super traditional fare.
                  "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Luvs, can you make your own fried onions with one of your gluten free baking mixes? or is it the cream of... soup? Bet you can find a copykat soup and thicken with your gluten free stuff. I just couldn't imagine not being able to eat greenbean casserole! lol

Comment

Really no planning - we have the same thing for Thanksgiving and Christmas every year and sometimes Easter. We may mix it up a bit for Easter and have ham but only once in a while.

Two Fried turkey breasts, one baked turkey (for gumbo), dressing, cranberry sauce, peas, sweet potato casserole, rice (for ds), homemade mac & cheese, rolls and pecan squares.

YUMMY!! I always look forward to this time of year!!

Comment

i don't care about the food. I am just hoping this is the year I have real family here, or we are there, rather than just us, or adpoted family.
                        I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

Thanks for what you just said, Stella. You just reminded me that I shouldn't be fretting over stupid stuff like the menu.......it's more about being able to gather together with loved ones and giving thanks for "whatever".........even if we had nothing more than bread and water in front of us!!!!!
                          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

my family is such a mess. there's nothing i wouldn't love more than to have a house full of real family. aunts and cousins and uncles and hugs and everyone bringing their signature dish.

those of you who do have that, you are truly blessed. please do not take that for granted.

usually it's just the 5 of us, and sometimes dad will come visit. he won't this year, he won't be hiding from 2 or 3 different girlfriends lol.
                            other times we are invited to friend's houses, but we're with someone else's family. and it's weird.
                            I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

We do have a Traditional recipe, but I always add in one new recipe. I keep trying to find a new item to make as our "traditional" item. I guess the newest thing would be making homemade scalloped potatoes.

dragun

Comment

Working...
                              X