your BEST CRUST please part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• your BEST CRUST please part 1

I want to try my hand at making pie crusts.

My family LOVES my pies apparently, but I am getting sick of buying pie crusts.

I tried a friends recipe but to be honest with you it leaves a lot to be desired. It will "do" for now but I would really like to have a crust that WOWS. Flaky and tasty. Like I said, the one I have now is more of a ....???..... dough? if that is possible?? AND there is no real "flavor" to it.

I'd love to try a couple of different kinds so all are welcome.

Please also tell me why you use the "fat" (butter, shortening.....etc) that you do. Does it flake better? Taste better?

AND one more thing *(as if I haven't asked for enough! There will be more, I promise! hehehe)*
    ...........how do you MAKE IT???

Fine crumbs, larger pieces?? Add water until it is 'just moist' or add it to doughy? Knead it on the table when done or just barely 'put it together' and roll out?? Cut in with a fork, your hands, or some kind of gadget?

Do you use certain liquid? Refrigerate it before using?

HELP! Sorry there are so many questions but I want to get it down pat so that I have as less stress as possible trying this on my own. THANKS SO MUCH!!

I have done a search but since you can't search for *pie* I get EVERYTHING with the word crust in it. Cut the CRUST off the bread, Do you like thick/thin pizza CRUST? You get me!! lol I have also posted it here because I find it more of a discussion rather than a 'recipe request'

looking forward!
    Last edited by flutterby; 10-07-2008, 08:49 AM.

Re: your BEST CRUST please part 1

I've always had good luck w/ the good 'ole Crisco recipe on their can. I use icy water and zap it up in the food processor (just till it's forming a ball, then stop and gather it all together) ... I refrigerate the dough for about 1/2 hour before rolling. Just like they show on TV... put some flour on the boart/counter and keep that dough moving so it doesn't stick.
    "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

I use the recipe on a package of lard. The crust always comes out really flaky and tasty. Do not overwork the dough as it will become tough.

Generally I use two knives to cut up the lard into the flour and then pick up the flour/lard mixture and rub it between my hands until the mix looks like rice

Add ice water/vinegar/egg mixture until it forms a ball and then refrigerate to let it rest. Use as needed - you can freeze if you don't use it all.

Comment

Well it is not my pie crust, but I have always used Martha Stewarts and it comes out perfect every time. This is from her web site the address was almost as long as the recipie.

A pie made from scratch is always a treat, and it only requires a little extra effort. Our tips will help you achieve a flaky crust and make a great dessert for the holiday table.

Making the Dough

Makes enough for 2 single-crust pies or 1 double-crust fold-over pie.

1 In a food processor, pulse 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour with 1 teaspoon each salt and sugar. Add 1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces.

2 Pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, with a few pea-size pieces remaining.

3 Add 1/4 cup ice water; pulse until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed. (If needed, add up to 4 tablespoons more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Do not overmix.

4 Turn out onto a work surface; knead once or twice, until dough comes together. Chill.

Chilling the Dough > > >

Forming the Crust > > >

Prebaking the Crust > > >

For easy rolling, always start with well-chilled dough and a lightly floured work surface. Chilled dough will not soften as quickly as warmer dough; flour absorbs any moisture from the dough and prevents it from sticking.

Single Crust:

Divide dough in half, and flatten into disks. Wrap separately in plastic; refrigerate one disk at least one hour or up to three days. Freeze unused disk.

Fold-Over Crust:

Flatten the dough into a single disk. Wrap in plastic, and refrigerate at least one hour or up to three days.

To Freeze Dough:

Put tightly wrapped disks in a resealable plastic bag. Label with the date, and freeze for up to three months. Defrost the dough overnight in the refrigerator before using.

Pressing: Place one dough disk on a floured piece of parchment paper. Using knuckles, press edges of dough to help prevent cracking.

Rolling: Roll dough to a 14-inch round. Using parchment, lift and wrap dough around rolling pin; carefully unroll over a 9-inch pie plate.

Fitting: To avoid tearing or stretching the dough, lift around the edge, and let the dough drape inward. Use kitchen shears to trim the edge of the dough to a 1-inch overhang.

Crimping: Fold excess dough under so its flush with (and on top of) pie-plate rim, and pinch to form a flat edge. Crimp edge of dough, if desired: Using your thumb and forefinger, press the dough gently against a knuckle from your other hand, and continue at regular intervals.

1 Preheat oven to 350. Prick bottom of pie dough all over with a fork (to prevent it from puffing up or shrinking). Refrigerate until chilled, at least 10 minutes.

2 Carefully line dough with parchment paper or foil; fill to the top with pie weights or dried beans. Bake until crust is firm, about 15 minutes.

3 Remove parchment and weights; continue baking until crust is golden brown and bottom is flaky to the touch, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool completely before filling.

Comment

Get grocery cart.
          Go to dairy aisle.
          Pick up packaged pie crusts.
          Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

Originally posted by flutterby
            I want to try my hand at making pie crusts.

My family LOVES my pies apparently, but I am getting sick of buying pie crusts.
            It gets really expensive to keep buying crusts

Comment

perfect every time. this is the best 2 pie crust recipe i have, just dump it in and shake... otherwise I have one that makes 20 pie crusts !!

Tupperware pie crust

2 1/4 c. flour
              3/4 c. shortening (at room temp.)
              1 tsp. salt
              1/3 c. clear carbonated beverage (sprite or 7-up)

Put all of the above ingredients into a large mixing bowl with lid. Seal, and shake these ingredients until coarse in texture. The mixture will become granulated as in cornmeal. Tap/pat the top of the seal before opening. Add 1/3 cup of the carbonated beverage, any flavor. Close the seal and burp it. Shake the bowl until the mixture forms small balls. (A good deal of shaking is required.) Roll out onto a pastry sheet and divide the mixture in half. This recipe will make 2 good-sized pie shells.
              I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

I usually just use the Pillsbury Pie Crust...mostly for the convenience.
                I love your pie crust idea Stella! Will have to try it for sure...sounds like a lot of the hassle is cut into! Thanks!
                When, I do make a pie crust from scratch(which is rarely) I use the Lard recipe that is on the box like Rube. Lard makes a very flaky crust....
                Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

This is so good that my GDD just wants the crust of the pie and gives the filling to her Dad.

1 5lb bag of flour
                  1 3 lb can of CRISCO
                  Mix toghether until small crumbs

4 eggs
                  4 teaspoon vinegar
                  2 cups cold water
                  Mix together and add to flour mixture, it looks like too much liquid at first but don' t add more flour, it will all come together.

Divide into 20 balls, put into baggie and flatten. Refrigerate for 1 hr and use or freeze for 1 yr. Makes 20 single or 10 double crust

This makes a lot but its so easy to make and handy to have when I want to make a pie
                  cocacolabaka

Comment

nommie............hee! hee! hee!
                    That was funny.

I've never done it that I can recall........but always wanted to........I think I'd try Crisco and the Lard recipes.........and the more you do it the better at it you'll get............

plus......you can always look up GOOD EATS, Alton Brown on food network he's done a few I've seen........and they always look good........and you can watch a video of it.

Good luck!

I have no doubt you will be making homemade crusts to knock people's socks off!

Comment

i've used martha's as well...

Comment

Tip; Handle the pie crust as little as possible.
                        The more you play with it the tougher it gets.
                        Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

I'm with nommie!

Comment

Flaky Pie Crust Mix
                            Categories: Master mix Servings: 1
                            12 1/2 c Unbleached Flour
                            2 T Salt
                            5 c Vegetable Shortening (CRISCO)
                            Combine unbleached flour and salt in a large bowl and blend well. With a pastry blender, cut in shortening until evenly distributed. Mixture will resemble cornmeal in texture. Put in a large airtight container and lable as Flaky Pie Crust Mix. Store in a cool, dry place and use within 10 to 12 weeks. Or put about 2 1/2 cups of mixture each into 6 freezer bags. Seal and label bags and freeze. Use within 12 months. Makes about 16 cups mix, enough for 6 double pie crusts or 12 single pie crusts.
                            ----------------------TO MAKE FLAKY PIE CRUST------------------------------
                            2 1/2 c Flaky Pie Crust Mix ***
                            1/4 c ICE Water
                            1 ea Large Egg, Beaten
                            1 T White Vinegar
                            FLAKY PIE CRUST Crumble Flaky Pie Crust Mix, if frozen. Put mix in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, combine ice water, egg and vinegar. Sprinkle a spoonful of the water mixture at a time over the flaky pie crust mix and toss with a fork until dough barely clings together in the bowl. Roll out dough to desired thickness between 2 sheets of lightly floured waxpaper. Place dough in 9-inch pie plate without stretching. Flute edges. If filling recipe calls for a baked picrust, preheat oven to 425 degrees F. (220 degrees C.). Bake 10 to 15 minutes, until very lightly browned. Cool. Fill and bake according to directions for filling. For double crust pie, place top crust over filling, press and flute edges, and cut slits in top crust. Makes enough crust for one 9-inch double-crust pie or two single-crust pies.
                            Last edited by Angel; 10-08-2008, 05:51 AM. Reason: LAYOUT NOT RIGHT
                            INSANITY - the act of doing the same thing over and over agian, but expecting a different result. ANGEL

Comment

Originally posted by nommie View Post
                              Get grocery cart.
                              Go to dairy aisle.
                              Pick up packaged pie crusts.
                              We have the same recipe!!! WOW!!! lol

Mom has a great one, I cant find it. When she gets back into town I'll get it from her. Uses crisco, icewater, vinegar, don't think it has an egg. I've got her converted to packaged pie crusts also. The rolled kind, like Pillsbury or off brand, not the frozen ones in the foil pans.
                              "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X