your best FRUIT FILLING part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• your best FRUIT FILLING part 2

I have tried to make a few berry pies recently. I am having such a problem getting them to thicken properly. I am not really following a recipe because I am just kind of 'throwing things together' that I think would be good.

I tried triple berry with some strawberries, rasp. and blackberries....added the sugar and cornstarch but it just doesn't get "thick". It looks thick but when I cut it is just oozes out where the cut piece is. I HATE THAT.

How do you make your thick enough to not ooze out of the pie? TRIED AND TRUE?

Would you share your favorite BERRY pie recipe?

Re: your best FRUIT FILLING part 2

This one does not ooze

Deluxe Blackberry Pie

Ingredients:
    4 cup fresh blackberry
    1 1/4 cup white sugar
    4 tablespoon cornstarch
    2 tablespoon blackberry brandy (or water)
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    1 recipe pastry for a
    9 inch double crust pie
    1 tablespoon white sugar

Instructions:

1. Puree two cups of the blackberries in a blender until liquid. Strain out the seeds, and pour into a saucepan. Whisk in 1 1/4 cups sugar. Cook over a medium heat until boiling, stirring constantly and scraping bottom. Keep at a boil for 5 minutes, and then remove from heat.
    2. Mix cornstarch and brandy in a cup. When well mixed, whisk into pan; stir until mixture returns to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in the nutmeg and cinnamon. Check the consistency of the mixture; it should be like a thin pudding. If necessary, add cornstarch and water mixed at a 2:1 ratio to thicken.
    3. Fill the pie shell with the remaining two cups of blackberries. Pour the blackberry puree over the fresh berries, covering evenly. Use either strips of dough criss crossed to cover, or cover with a solid sheet of dough with slits cut in it. Dust with sugar on top.
    4. Bake in a preheated 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) oven for 35 minutes, or until crust is browned.

*note...I didn't use the cinnamon or nutmeg and I found that 4 TBLS. of cornstarch was too much to mix into 2 TBLS. of liquid. I just added a little more liquid to make a thick paste.

Comment

I always use tapioca, the recipe is on the box, I don't have any in the pantry or I would post it for you.
      Terri

Comment

I don't use a recipe when making my fruit filling. But..... Sometimes I'll add some vanilla rum to my apples or peaches.....YUMMY!!!

Comment

Flutterby, the TRICK is to precook and thicken your filling stovetop, then adjust flavors and consistency exactly how you want it. Then fill your crust and bake. Especially perfect for apple and cherry pies, but works for everything else.

Comment

Working...
          X