Rhubard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubard

When I was a kid, This stuff grew everwhere, couldnt give the stuff away. Now, that I want some, No one has any and its hard to find! DH went to the Farm Market, and they told him it only grows in the Spring. What!!!!! He ended up finding some at Meijers for $2.49 a pound, so he grabbed enough to make two pies. I then sent out my daughter and told her to buy ALL of it, I dont care how much it cost. She spent $31 and said she was embarrassed because people were looking at her like she was a pig lmao Hey, they have more!

Re: Rhubard

They sell it in the frozen section also.

Comment

I havent seen it in the frozen section in yearssssssss. Id buy it that way, save me the trouble of cutting it all up and vacuum sealing it

Comment

I can't find frozen rhubarb anymore either.

Spring is the only time I can find it in the grocery stores here. Love strawberry/rhubarb pie!

Comment

All I wanted was a rhubarb plant and couldn't find one at all. Asked around and no one had one for me. Finally my dad suprises me one day and has an ice cream bucket with one in it sitting outside of my house. Sweet! His neighbor was throwing it out while doing some landscaping. WHat luck. I never see rhubard, but I have never seen it frozen. I have never thought about looking for it frozen, though.
          www.thenewmommiezblend.blogspot.com

Comment

Kids these days dont know what sour is! They have those Shock Tarts or those Jawbreakers that are sour, but they need to take a bite out of Rhubarb! We would be playing, and grab a stalk and eat it, and then drool all over ourselves lol

Comment

We never have had rhubarb.
              I have seen where they make pies with it.
              So it's like celery in appearance and is sour?
              What other things do you make with it?
              Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

rhubarb crisp is good also

Comment

Needers, come spring, check out the garden section at some of your local stores. I have seen rhubarb where they have the strawberry etc. type of plants for sale. I think I even saw it at our local WalMart.

You can get rid of some of the sourness by soaking the cut rhubarb in water with baking soda added.

You can also make rhubarb wine, rhubarb sauce for over ice cream, and I think I have a couple of recipes for rhubarb cake.
                  Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

rhubarb also makes a great jam on it's own or mixed with other fruits.

Comment

I had an old farmer friend who made rhubarb wine that was the best wine I ever had.
                      Then he went an died on me. Only lived to be 93. He kept in in the machine shed so his wife didn't know. I was at thier 50th wedding anniversery so I bet she was on to it by then.

Comment

Ginger why would you want to get rid of the sourness - that is what makes it rhubarb. Whenever I make something with rhubarb I make sure it is good and winky (you know when your eyes start to wink cause it is so tart - same as lemon pie).

I grab it up whenever I see it or pick it up from the frozen section in the grocery store.

Wonderful stuff.

Comment

Working...
                        X