Oprah today, weds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oprah today, weds.

I know many of you do not care for her, and there are many times I don't care for her either, but today on the show is a family talking about all these money savings ideas.
    i have it set to record. comes on at 4 here.

anyone see it yet? anyone get it earlier than I do?
    worth recording or no?

there was a DJ on the radio last night that said he could save you 5,000 a year.
    his tips did not help me.
    like borrow a book instead of paying 25 for it.
    make your own coffee don't buy it
    rent movies instead of going to the movies.
    I forget the rest, but i remember none of them fit me lol
    I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Re: Oprah today, weds.

I Heard The Ad For This At Lunch, Unfortunately I Work Til 5 Ans It Comes On At 4 So I Wont Be Able To Watch.
    SHEL

Comment

I may have to tune in. I want to see how that family lives.

Comment

I'm taping it. I hope we can get some ideas. The previews looked interesting.

Comment

I watched it also, well most of it. I heard this one lady say she is feeding a family of 6 people on $ 4.00 per meal, not per person , but per meal. When Oprah asked what she fed them, all she said was a healthy , nutrious meal. She never , that I saw or heard,actually said what she prepared for $ 4.00 ?? Most of it was common sense, nothing new or worth repeating again and again. Sort of disappointing, after all the hype Oprah gave the show.

Comment

also, they suggested switching items with others. so they are NEW to you.
            don't think i could switch my sofa with a friend.

in the very beginning, who was she talking too?
            some guy saying this country is in the situation it is now because "we" as americans have borrowed more money than we can pay back.

that's crap. I did not do that. i don't have credit cards, I have no debt, we owe on the house and one car out of 5. just saying, don't blame me.
            I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

they were not talking to me. Never borrowed more then I can afford to pay back. never charge more then I can afford to pay back. so I resent very much to bail out other people. And If want to redocrate my house, I sure don't want my friends / neighbors old couch, what kind of decorating is that??

Comment

Your subject title alerted me. I thought you were going to say Oprah got married.

Comment

Oprah wishes, I think. LOL

Comment

I think it's true that Americans as a whole, have borrowed more than ever to have the 'good life'. Kids turn 16 and expect a car; not a used semi-klunker like my friends and I had when we were in high school in the early 80's, but a NEW car. Then they graduate from college and expect a great-paying job, and acquire lots of 'stuff'. Of course, credit card companies are deluging these kids with cc offers all the time; they take the bait and sink deep in debt. Later, they shop for a house, hear about 'great loans' with no money down, interest only, blah, blah, blah, and the next thing you know they're struggling to make a mortgage payment that they never should have qualified for.

Young people are not taught to save anymore. Instead, it's instant gratification... the result being living beyond your means.

Comment

DD in college has a weekly grocery allowance, she has a kitchen and it's funny she gets has to keep within it, Oh now the store brands seem good. I laugh, at home it was special this & that, no more. Funny living on a budget will do it. Fast food place open up today & it was an hour wait for free food, she waited. Thankful she hasn't over extended herself, stays in budget. I said get use to it because I am doing the same. She is learning. Still wondering too how that lady fed her kids healthy cheap, she never said how she does it, think her kids are around 6-9yrs old, what about the teens they eat you out of house & home plus bring in their friends too.

Comment

I found this on about.com after I typed in "feed your family of four for under $10"

Dinners Under $10
                        Feed a Family of Four for Under $10
                        By Jennifer Wolf, About.com
                        See More About:cheap dinnersquick and easy dinnerssaving moneyfinancial assistancegetting helpOne way to save money is to spend less per meal on your family's dinners. Here are five quick and easy dinners for under $10 from the Guides on About.com's Food & Drink Channel. The cost breakdown for each meal is based on prices advertised on ShopRite's Web site. (Please note that I did not include the cost for items you probably have already in your pantry or refrigerator, such as common spices or milk).

Tuna Tortellini
                        This meal is an updated variation on the traditional tuna noodle casserole.

Cost Breakdown:
                        tortellini $3.99
                        frozen peas $.99
                        12 oz. tuna (in olive oil) $3.18
                        Total Cost: $8.16

Get this recipe!

Ramen Corn Chowder
                        This delicious soup is super-quick and easy to make. Serve it alonside a small salad and fresh biscuits and still stay within your $10 budget!

Cost Breakdown:
                        Ramen noodles $0.20
                        can of creamed corn $1.00
                        frozen corn $0.99
                        Colby cheese $2.99
                        biscuits: $1.67
                        bag of salad greens: $2.99
                        Total cost: $9.84

Get this recipe!Beef and Bean Burritos
                        These burritos are easy to make and taste delicious! Plus, you might even be able to squeeze an extra lunch out this meal, which feeds 4-6 people.

Cost Breakdown:
                        1 pound lean ground beef $2.69
                        onion $0.75
                        garlic $0.50
                        refried beans $1.09
                        enchilada sauce $1.49
                        flour tortillas $1.49
                        lettuce $1.69
                        Total Cost: $9.70

Get this recipe!Clam Linguine
                        Here's another quick and delicious recipe for under $10. You can even throw in a loaf of fresh bread and stay within your budget.

Cost Breakdown:
                        onion $0.75
                        garlic $0.50
                        clams (canned) $4.17
                        chicken broth $0.50
                        linguine $0.60
                        fresh parsley $0.49
                        Parmesan cheese $1.69
                        Total Cost: $8.70

Get this recipe!Oven-Fried Chicken Thighs
                        Serve this meal with mashed potatoes and fresh carrots, and you'll still stay well within your $10 budget.

Cost Breakdown:
                        mashed potato flakes $2.59
                        2 lbs. chicken thighs $3.98
                        fresh carrots $1.50
                        Total Cost: $8.07

Get this recipe!
                        "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Comment

I thought the most pertinent point made through the whole show (and how I was raised and raised my own) was to learn the difference between "need" and "want". I'm always surprised at how many people do not grasp that concept.

Comment

Used to be a big fan of hers.
                            Not so much anymore.
                            Wish she'd retire. And learn to shut! her! mouth!

As for feeding a family on some of those ideas and recipes?
                            Not.
                            Times are tough for everybody - but I wouldn't eat Tuna if I had to starve as the alternative. Much less make it to feed my family. Gross!

We don't splurge much, we don't eat out much, we do just fine. We eat leftovers, we take leftovers for lunch. We do the best we can. Just like everybody else. And we eat quite well - just at home - where we prefer most of the time! And it is NOT nasty Tuna!

I really cannot see how you can prepare a meal for a family for $4.00.
                            So not even going to listen to that crap.
                            JMHO.

Comment

basically the point is it can be done if you've got an extremely tight budget. I'm not a fan of tuna either but when you gotta you gotta!!!!

But tell us how you really feel! LMAO
                              "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Comment

Working...
                              X