Baking Sweet Roll question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baking Sweet Roll question!

I want to make these, see below. But I would like to cook them in the morning. Can I make it all up tonight, put it in the pan, fridgerate over night, then let come to room temp in the morning, and cook them? Or, tell me how I can make them tonight and cook them in the morning please. That way I don't have to get up an hour earlier to make them from scratch. And, don't I remember someone said you can just leave the dough conditioner out?

Apple Sweet Rolls

For the dough:
    4-1/2 to 5 cups bread flour
    1/3 cup dry milk
    1/4 cup sugar
    1-1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp dough conditioner
    6 tbs butter
    1-3/4 cups water at 105
    1 (7gm) packet yeast

For the Filling:
    8 tbsp butter
    1-1/3 cups brown sugar
    1/2 tbsp cinnamon
    1/4 cup flour
    3 large cooking apples, peeled and cut into 1/2" chunks
    1 cup walnuts
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract

For the frosting:
    2 cups powdered sugar
    3 tbsp dry milk
    2 tbs meringue powder
    1 tsp vanilla extract

For the dough:
    1. If you are using instant-type yeast, combine approx 1/3 of the flour, water and the yeast by beating it with a dough hook for 30 seconds or until combined. (Some types of yeast require proofing first.)
    2. Add the remainder of the ingredients and the softened butter and continue mixing for about 5 minutes ad medium speed. The dough should be soft (but no too sticky to handle), smooth, and elastic. Water absorption may vary depending on climatic conditions. If you feel that the dough is too moist, add 1-2 tbsp flour. If it is too dry, you can dribble in a little water while running your stand-type mixer.
    3. Place the dough in a large greased bowl and turn once to oil all sides. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until double, about one hour.

For the filling:
    1. Turn the dough onto a lightly greased work area. Roll the dough into a rectangle with the dough 1/4-3/8" thick.
    2. Heat the butter in the microwave until just melted. Spread it on the rolled dough with a pastry brush. Mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, flour, diced apples, walnuts and vanilla.
    3. Spread the apple filling (or other filling or your choice) on the dough rectangle and distribute it evenly to within 1/4" of the edge. Roll the dough into a jellyroll.
    4. Using a sharp serrated knife, slice the roll into twelve equal slices. Place the rolls evenly on a greased 11 X 17" baking pan. Press the rolls to flatten them, if necessary, so that they touch. cover the pan with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled again, about an hour. Allow plenty of time to rise. The dough should be soft and fluffy.
    5. While the rolls are rising, preheat the oven to 350. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the rolls are lightly browned. When they are baked, remove them from the oven and place them on a wire rack. When using a metal pan, remove the rolls from the pan immediately. Metal pans cool quickly, causing the rolls to stick to the pan.

To frost the rolls:
    Add the powdered sugar, dry milk, meringue powder and vanilla to a medium bowl. Add enough water, a tablespoon at a time, to make a spreadable frosting. The frosting should be thick but spreadable. When you frost the rolls, the heat from the rolls will soften the frosting further and allow it to flow slightly. The frosting will set as it cools. Frost the rolls while still warm. Let the rolls stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.

Re: Baking Sweet Roll question!

Dunno what dough conditioner is... but I've seen lots of recipes where you let it rise slowly in the fridge and take it out in the morning and let it rise some more and cook it. Should work fine if you let it rise a little after taking out of the fridge.
    "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Overnight in the fridge works fine. Never use dough conditioner. Just one more thing to crowd the kitchen. All purpose flour is good but high gluten flour is better.
      Bread and rolls are easy if you have the time and kneading the dough is a good stress reliever.
      Just becarefull, it will bring friends by that you don't even know by the smell.

Comment

I don't have an answer for you, as you know I don't bake, but you can send me some of those rolls via overnight express Thanks, your are a wonderful daughter

Comment

Working...
        X