Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dang dogs and Old Folks!! (NOT a funny!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dang dogs and Old Folks!! (NOT a funny!)

Got a call from DD last night. She was at work. SIL and their 9 month old Aussie Shepherd had gone up to his Grandmother's cottage for a visit. Grandmother insists on putting out rat poisin in foil plates under all the beds (even tho she also has two toddler Greatgrandchildren who visit and are allowed to run wild, by their parents). SIL is super vigilant about removing said plates during every visit. But last night he got distracted.

Yep dog got into it. To make a long short, dog vomited a copious amount shortly after, got a ride to the vet anyway, got charcoal there, is home on observation for 4 days, then will need bloodwork and possibly a month long round of Vitamin K.

DD is absolutely livid. SIL has already been on to a pest-control expert about less dangerous ways of controling mice and they are ready to inform his Grandmother that if she refuses to stop putting rat poison out where animals--AND CHILDREN--can get at it, they will not be returning to the cottage.

The Grandmother has a few other strange habits and when questioned about them always replies that it never hurt her kid, or SIL and his siblings so why should she change.
    Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Re: Dang dogs and Old Folks!! (NOT a funny!)

I am so sorry to hear about the dog.
    I hope that the little Grandchildren don't end up eating it. Maybe Grandma should retreive these pie plates when company comes and put them back out after the visit. Better safe than sorry.
    Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

So, from the sound of it, Grandma is waiting until something bad happens to one of the children before she will remove the poison. That is the logic she is using. Never hurt anyone before.....

I'm so sorry about the doggie. I sure hope he recovers quickly....

Shame on Grandma!!
      Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Can she get out to buy the rat poison? If not, I would just take all of it away and not let anyone take her to buy some more. Get her a cat. How many rats can their be? Sorry about the dog. Grandma sounds like she has lost it.

Comment

Grandma isn't very smart. I think she must be senile. I can say that because I'm probably closer to her age than most of you are. I would flat out tell grandma that as long as she is putting poison in open dishes in the house there will be no more children or animals visiting. If she caught a varmit, who retries the dead creature. If something happened to one of the children she could be arrested.

I hope you doggie recoveres and I'd send grandma the bill.

Ann (senior citizen)

Comment

At this point in time, no news is good news. I have not heard anything more since this morning, so I am taking that to mean that the pup is doing okay for the moment. DD is 6 months pregnant. She is also a nurse. She hates going to the cottage because Grandmother still smokes (downstairs, or outside in summer) and the smell is everywhere. She does not want to alienate the old lady but she also refuses to subject her baby to this type of environment.

I really believe that SIL's family will be changing radically and very soon. None of them have ever had to deal with a person like my DD. Add in her pregnancy and she is becoming a force that is unstoppable.

Comment

Ginger, is it possible to circumvent (sp?) the issue? Can DD or SIL purchase "ecologically friendly rat poison" for GM? Eeeerrrrrr such as charcoal pills, vitamens, what ever. Something safe for kids and dogs, but will not attract rats (does she really have them?) or other critters. And yes, our generation grew up on eating mud pies, so our imunne system is alot stronger that this next generation. My honest and sincerest prayers for your pup. Laura

Comment

We live in the country with corn fields around us, so I "used" to always have some mice poison in the garage, thinking if I kept mice out of the garage, we would never have any in the house. We have always had dogs, none had ever found the poison, I shoved it against the wall under a cabinet, until my son's little mini pin was here and I had her in the garage while I went to the store. The dog started to get sick and we could not figure it out, then when I went thru the garage, I saw the empty poison box tore up, then we knew, took dog to the vet, they had to keep her several days, she was a sick dog, but she did recover. She will still tear up anything she wants to, so no more poison around here anywhere. Guess what, no mice either. We do have 1 cat, maybe she keeps the population in check.

Comment

Funny about your Daughter being unstoppable.
                  Sounds like that family needs a good dose of it.

Simple as said - no poison or no visits from us! Period.

So sad about the puppy. That is awful. Pure negligence - when the grandmother KNEW it was out and KNEW the dog would get into it.

Will it take having a child going to the ER and praying for the best?

Geez. Someone needs to put their foot down about it. Sounds like your DD may be just the one!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Oh yes, I actually feel for SIL's family. DD has been 'making nice' for a long time, not wanting to rock the boat. I think the 'gloves' are about to come off and (I know SIL understands, concurs, and is ducking) her inlaws had better watch out. She is a cougar when she feels someone she loves is in danger or is being mistreated.

Talked to DD about an hour ago. Pup is fiesty, peeing, pooping, and eating normally. Tomorrow they will g to their vet's for blood tests but so far, it looks like our wee Maya (the pup) dodged a huge bullet.

In my opinion, SIL's Grandmother's attitude and practices are on borrowed time.

Comment

I actually feel incredibly sorry for your DD. She is going to fight one heck of a battle. If Grandma's family hasn't stood up to her yet, they probably won't back up your dd. Especially, to protect their own kids. I have a fil that is the same way that grandma is. And no one in this family but me stands up to him. He is convinced whatever he says is perfect and no one should buck his system. Until he met me. Oh, he is polite to my face, but he hates me. Because i won't listen to everything that he says. And they were amazed when my dd stopped visiting because they wouldn't follow our rules on carseats and what foods must be avoided. Sorry this got so long.

I am so glad to her that the puppy is doing well!!!! I love dogs!!!!

dragun

Comment

Hey Dragun. I also feel for my DD. It seems like certain people in SIL's family have realized that DD is a 'mover and shaker' and a 'hardass' and have actually started venting their feelings to her. Guess they think that she's a good frontwoman and will fascilitate changes without them needing to get their hands dirty. (Don't worry. DD also takes names and is totally willing to apply blame when appropriate.)

I love that girl!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                          In my opinion, SIL's Grandmother's attitude and practices are on borrowed time.
                          For sure!!!! glad to read the pupp is doing good and have to add thats nuts to leave poison out with kids/animals she is lucky so far BIG TIME!!!!

Comment

It is amazing that yes ONE cat can keep the house free from mice. When I was young we lived in a house that backed to railroad tracks. When the weather cooled we got tons of field mice. Well I got a cat and Ta Da no more mice. Maybe Grandma can be convinced to get a cat instead.

Huffle
                            God grant me the serenity to accept the yarn I cannot return... courage to change the yarn I can... and the reciept to know the difference.

Comment

We lived in the mountain country when the kiddies were little (in the 70's and 80's) & REMOVED all the poisoned grain from the property! We brought in 2 cats who had babies who kept the varmint population down to zero. There is no reason for country folks to have strychnine on the premises. JMO
                              "WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Comment

Working...
                              X