Need advice on having a soup/stew game night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on having a soup/stew game night

I wanted to invite some neighbors over for a soup/stew night, where I'd make a couple of hearty soups or stews w/ different kinds of bread and afterward we can play cards or another game. I was going to invite 4 other couples... so that'd be 10 peeps altogether.

My question is... do I give each person a huge mug to have some of each soup? One mug... go rinse your own after you're done w/ one soup? I can't have 30 bowls so everyone gets a new one for each soup/stew!

btw... there are some AWESOME soup recipes on CK... can't wait to try some new ones before springing them on company!!
    "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Re: Need advice on having a soup/stew game night

I think a big mug for each person, with a bamboo plate with a paper plate on it would be great. They can rinse or not between each kind of soup.

And the paper/bamboo plate would give them some where to put the bread/spoon and make it more spill proof.

It sounds like a wonderful idea and you could have the other couples bring the bread or butters or things like that.

I may have to borrow this idea for my staff at work.!!

Comment

I'd buy some foam 6 - 8 oz. cups/bowls, then you don't have any dishes to wash and they can try a little of each soup/stew in a clean cup. I'd provide a plate to carry the soup on along with the bread. I've served this kinds of meal at a campout and it went over very well. I made a carrot dill soup, veg. corn chowder and if I remember correctly the third was a veg. soup.

Ann

Comment

I did this as part of a New Year's Eve Party. My guests brought the rolls/breads. I used plactic bowls but did buy a huge bunch of tablespoons from Sam's (stainless). I made 3 soups. It was great fun. Good luck

Comment

" You are invited to soup night at luv and dudes house !!"

we're having several different kinds of soups, and games and fellowship afterwards,
          hope to see you there, BYOB
          * bring your own bowl, a big un*
          I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

If using disposable, I'd be tempted to get like the 16 or 20oz Styrofoam coffee cups, less chance for spillage, those paper/Styrofoam bowl can be a bit flimsy.

Comment

Originally posted by nuisance View Post
              If using disposable, I'd be tempted to get like the 16 or 20oz Styrofoam coffee cups, less chance for spillage, those paper/Styrofoam bowl can be a bit flimsy.
              I agree! hubby used to take the crock pot full of chili once a week to work in upstate New York and we bought the styrofoam(sp?) 16 ounce cups at the dollar store a bunch for a dollar ....worked great!

Comment

What a great idea! Wish we lived closer because we'd be there in a flash (I'd definitely bring my own bowl!) But for less confusion, get the styrofoam thingys. I know it isn't as environmentally friendly, but it sure is a lot less work.
                Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

How about a bread bowl.

Comment

Thanks for all the good ideas! I like the BYOB idea... AND the bread bowl idea!!

Comment

I sure hope you will post what soups and stews you served and the responses to each one! Such a neat idea!!
                      Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I did something like this for a chili cookoff for our Sunday School class. We used little dixie cups to try the chili and then people could go back with a big bowl and get the one they really liked.

Comment

Personally, if I went to an event like this, which I would love too, I personally would prefer a clean cup/bowl each time. I am weird about my food touching and putting a different soup in on top of a bowl that I had already eaten a different soup from.

Put the styrofoam cup sounds like a great idea. I may just have to do this with my friends also. I think it would be fun. Plus, we love love to play board games.

dragun

Comment

Sounds like a great time for sure!
                            Great ideas too!
                            Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

There are several soups I want to try from the CK archives! The paella soup is one!

Can't do styrofoam... just can't... but the more I think about it... it wouldn't be hard to work up my huge crusty loaf bread recipe twice or even 3 times and do small bread bowls... even 30 would be doable... scraped out and warmed/toasted up in the oven!

I will absolutely post which ones I try at home and then use for the party... have to wait till it gets a little cooler here first!

Comment

Working...
                              X