Fresh Carrots Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh Carrots Question

I bought a pkg of baby carrots and I don't think I can use them before they go out of date. Can I freeze them and use as needed?
    "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Re: Fresh Carrots Question

I'm not sure, but I would guess that you should blanch them first and they might be a little mushy when you use them.

Why not shred them up and make carrot cake, or carrot bread/muffins, banana carrot bread...or something like that?

Comment

Do not freeze them as they are. I've had them returned at work after being frozen and they are not only mush, but watery and gross. You might try cooking them first and then freezing.

Comment

Ro-Ro, I agree with the blanching first before freezing.
        Good Luck & Good Day Sunshine!!!
        Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

ok I will blanch them first. I just hate for food to go to waste.
          "Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle"

Comment

Add them to soups, salads, pasta dishes, pasta salads........lots of creative ways to use them and they are so good for you!!!! Heck, you could even process them and add to meatloaf -- one dish meal if you add potatoes on the side!!! Be creative. Copper pennies is a salad made w/ carrots!!!!

COPPER PENNIES

1 can tomato soup
            1/2 c. sugar
            3/4 c. vinegar
            1/4 c oil
            1 tsp. prepared mustard
            1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
            1 tsp. salt & pepper
            1 tsp. celery seed

Combine top ingredients.

1 med. onion, sliced 1 med. green pepper, 1 lb. sliced carrots or more -- cook carrots till barely tender.

Comment

Why not cut them up and roast them. Toss with a little olive oil and put in a pan in the oven at 425 degrees for about half an hour or until tender. I cover the bottom of my pan with the release alum. foil so have no clean up. Stir after 15 min.

This morning I roasted some onions, carrots, yellow and red bell peppers. I then puree them after they are roasted and freeze in small containers. The peppers were big and on sale for 2 for $1.00. I add the puree to cheap speghetti sauce to give it more flavor.

Ann

Comment

Working...
              X