My cat got SKUNKED!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My cat got SKUNKED!!!

Oh my gaawwddd! We knew we had skunks around, them varmints been digging up our lawn and every now and again we'd get the lovely whiff of eau de skunk, and last week one was trapped in our porch. Well, last night DD was sitting on the couch and she said "Mom, I smell skunk really, really bad" she got up and had to leave the room, it wafted in so fast. Sure enough I get up and go to the porch, open door and WHAM! hit with such incredibly strong skunky odour! Our cat Nemo had just been there maybe 30 secs earlier eating. So, this morn there is poor Nemo, as smelly as ever, poor kitty. DH got some spray, actually it is for fabric but, he opened the bottle and just dumped it on Nemo. How in the world would you bathe a cat??? Believe it or not, Nemo just came around and, he does smell a little better. Still quite smelly around the house too,,,gag,,,,,
    A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Re: My cat got SKUNKED!!!

I feel for you!!!! My dog got skunked about 3 weeks to a month ago (even did a thread here on CK) and he STILL stinks where he got sprayed in the head and snout (mostly when he gets wet there now). And I tried EVERYTHING that EVERYONE had suggested both home-made and store bought and it's just going to have to go away on its own. Same thing happened about 6 years ago to my other dog.

Seems odd for a cat to get sprayed because cats seem smarter than dogs in that respect because they are a lot more agile and seem to have better "outdoor" smarts than dogs. I could be wrong because I've never owned a cat, but it just "seems" like that, lol!

Luckily, the scent inside the house only lasted overnight and it was still warm outside then where we could run ceiling fans, oscillating fans and keep the windows open. I STILL do not let him out late at night or early in the morning to do his business unless I take him out on the leash......and our yard is fenced in!!!!!
    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

Been there done that with the dog!!! spread moth ball flakes around the outside of your yard/house and they won't go across it. That works here, so I'm sure it'll work there! lol Bet the cat wouldn't like a tomato juice bath very much huh? If you do it, take pictures!!! lol

Comment

I use Odor Mute. I buy the powder form and double the strength for skunk odors. Just soak the area where they get sprayed. You will always have skunks and other critters around now that they know there is a food source on the porch. You should make sure that you pick up the food before dusk. We had a little skunk sticking his head out from under the shed and our cat walked up to it and they were touching noses. I was sure glad the little critter wasn't facing the other way!

Comment

Ohhh, yuck! I feel bad for you (and your nose!). Hopefully it will wear off fast. Definitely keep the food dishes put away, or you'll have a whole porch full of critters before too long!

Comment

Hubby bought a bunch of mothballs and thru them all under the porch,,,smell is starting to go away. Nemo is still somewhat MIA
            A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

LOL!
              I know that this is a serious situation, but It tickles me the stuff that animals run into in their walk through life..
              I can visualize Mr. Nemo getting the tomato bath and Nu wanting to see the pictures...She is a HOOT!
              I hope that whatever you decide to do, that the odor goes away soon. That has got to be the most lingering smell ever....
              I can almost smell it from here MudderBear!
              Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

when i first read this at home yesterday, i thought it said your car got skunked. then i read it again and realized it was your cat. sorry for the cat. might be easier to clean the car.
                SHEL

Comment

both of my dogs got skunked early this morning..i let them both out early this morning to use the potty..opened the door to let them in..and the smell was horrid i swear i nearly passed out..so we got up bathed the dogs..cleaned my carpets..washed thier bedding..all my windows are open to air out my house and it's cold..we found the smelling skunk..just sitting in the corner of my yard..acting like he didn't do anything wrong..tried to trapped him..going to call animal control..except the beast got loose..this is our first experience with a skunk..what do they eat..and why would this critter wonder into my yard.

Comment

To bad it was not you husband that got skunked. You could just put hin in the garage and toss him some food once a day and not have to put up with the smell.

Comment

Three words.....tomato juice bath!

Comment

Originally posted by anglebutterfly View Post
                        both of my dogs got skunked early this morning..i let them both out early this morning to use the potty..opened the door to let them in..and the smell was horrid i swear i nearly passed out..so we got up bathed the dogs..cleaned my carpets..washed thier bedding..all my windows are open to air out my house and it's cold..we found the smelling skunk..just sitting in the corner of my yard..acting like he didn't do anything wrong..tried to trapped him..going to call animal control..except the beast got loose..this is our first experience with a skunk..what do they eat..and why would this critter wonder into my yard.
                        Looking for food ?

Comment

Tomato Juice is too expensive, My cat just got Stinked a few months ago and I posted. I used Vinegar and water solution. Ive used straight Vinegar before on my Chow and the odor went and never came back. We put our Riot Gear on first,closed the bathroom door, put the cat in the tub and DH held him down, and I poured the solution on him and we rubbed. The cat was gagging and coughing from the vinegar because DH had the cats face too low to the bottom of the tub. Then, we hurried and toweled dried him, and he was madddddddddddddd. He then went outside, sat in a dirt pile and licked himself. He didnt give us a fight tho, which we were surprised, because this cat is huge and a meany if provoked

Comment

I believe they enjoy dog and cat food so its helpful to remove it from the floor and bring it in over night. It helps keep the coyotes away too. My cat hasnt ever gotten the squirt, but if I have seen them eat the cat food out front when I left it out...also watched possums eat it....I chased off some Coyotes last year twice from my front lawn. One of them boldly tried to stare me down which is kinda of strange they are normally afraid of people- so I walked toward it and commenced to cussing it out and it just stared...finally I clapped my hands and continued toward it and it hit the road back toward the golf course. That was a little scary- so I pick up the food now at night.

I cant figure out if my cat is just retarded or real smart- when I watched the possum and skunk eatting his food- he was about 6 feet away laying there watching from the other side. I guess if you dont go up and sniff it- it wont bug you. With the possum I tapped on the window at him because my MIL says they are mean - but he was not mean at all- he looked thru the window and then continued eatting...then I flicked on the light and he looked around and just waddled off real slow. LOL
                            www.perfectlyposh/510sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X