Our new house drama!!!(Kind of long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our new house drama!!!(Kind of long)

I haven't had time until now to tell you all about our new house purchase so here it goes...
    We bought a Richmond American home back in July for a pretty good deal.
    Before we got our keys, we had a rep from Richmond take us through house, showing how things work and making sure everything was not damaged and worked correctly.We moved all our stuff in on the first day we got our keys. It got to be about 9:00 at night and we were done for the day. I was tired and all I wanted was a nice shower to get all the grime off of me. I started showering in our second story bathroom and I noticed after a while the water backing up in the drain. I wasn't too worried because I figured it had something with it being new. All of a sudden, my son yells that there is water streaming out of the vents in our bathroom downstairs. Dh and I ran down as fast as we could. Sure enough...water was pouring out of the air conditioning and fan vents. We put a bucket underneath to catch the water. We also noticed water was coming out of the wall. The garage is on the other side of the wall so we decided to look there. There was water coming from the ceiling and along the same wall. It pooled all over a spare tv we had, wood shelves and a box of games...ruining them.
    This was a Saturday night, so I had to call an emergency number that Richmond had given us in case something went wrong. They didn't seem too concern. They said they would get somebody to come out and check the next day. Meanwhile, don't use the tub or shower.
    The next day, a plumber came out. He couldn't find anything wrong because he didn't have this "snake" camera with him. We then had to wait until Monday for other plumbers to come out.This whole time, we couldn't take a bath!!! I was pissed!
    Monday comes and guess what they found???? When they built the house, they put a stop stick in the drain leading to the sewer under the road. They were suppose to remove it when they got done with whatever they were working on. It was the plumbing company's fault!!!!!
    All this water damaged the walls and ceiling. Richmond didn't want to do any repairs because nothing was blistering up on the outside of the wall(like the paint). Dh insisted, saying there could be mold inside and basically threatened them with a lawsuit. It took them close to 3 months to rip out, spray mold away stuff, drywall, and paint the whole mess. Now we are waiting on our money for the stuff in the garage that was ruined. Richmond claims they don't have to pay because it wasn't there fault. It was their contracter's fault.
    Supposedly, the plumbing company is owning up to the mistake, but we haven't seen anything yet. May have to go to court.....
    I'll let you know if we ever get the money!
    Other than that, its been an ok house. Nice location and we're becoming fast friends with our neighbors who we set up a weekly standing card night with.

Re: Our new house drama!!!(Kind of long)

That is absurd!!!!!!!!!
    Maybe a letter from a lawyer would speed things along.

Ridiculous.

They should take responsibility for their contractors. That is the law.
    And they should take care of this asap.

Comment

I' Insist On Them Paying A Company To Come Put Dryers Out To Make Sure Everything Is Dry! They Have Blowers That They Can Place Different Areas That Got Wet And It Drys The Wet Areas Quickly So It Doesn't Mildew, And They Can Spray A Mildew Retardant That Smells Spearminty (at Least That's What They Did When We Had Water Through Out The House)

Comment

And don't forget to let them know you will be reporting their actions - and lack thereof - to the Better Business Bureau.

They will not like that - but it will put a firecracker under their butt.

Oh - and when they do some "final work" - they will insist the work is done and ask you to sign a release.

DO NOT SIGN IT.

Take it to your attorney and let him review it before signing it. If you sign it, then 3 months later a problem comes up because of the mold, mildew, etc. - and believe me - it has happened - they will be off the hook. DO NOT SIGN THE RELEASE BEFORE LETTING YOUR LAWYER REVIEW IT! Please!

I am sure you already know that - it just made me feel helpful to say it. Sorry.
        Last edited by EMail Queen; 10-21-2008, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EMail Queen View Post

I am sure you already know that - it just made me feel helpful to say it. Sorry.
          I WOULDN'T HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT, SO IT'S GOOD TO KNOW, JUST INCASE!!!

Comment

OMG I would have freaked out at that water. I sure hope you are going to be payed back.

Huffle
            God grant me the serenity to accept the yarn I cannot return... courage to change the yarn I can... and the reciept to know the difference.

Comment

Thanks Nu!
              You're a Peach!

Comment

Don't even get me going on water damage.....About 4 years ago I put a load of clothes on to wash about 9:30 pm and accidentially went to sleep. Well the damn washing machine over flowed ALL NIGHT LONG! We woke up to 2 inches of water in the entire house except my sons room!! What a mess! Immediately called our insurance company and the water damage people. They sucked all the water up - took all the wood flooring up, baseboards off and put down dryers. This went on for a week. It took probably three months before we got everything fixed and back together. What a NIGHTMARE!! So not long after that we moved.

Well we bought a new house and the water NIGHTMARE begins. The plumber forgot to connect the drain underneath the shower so evertime we turned on the shower water would pour down the inside of the walls running down the beams. Well I noticed the carpet was wet downstairs, which happens to be underneath our bathroom. Sure enough - they had to come in cut a huge hole in the ceiling, take up the carpet, dryers running and put this plastic up to keep the mold spours from circulating around the house. Now that took about a week as well. Then of course you have to get someone scheduled to come out repair the ceiling, new carpet etc. Since it was a new house the builder took care of everything.

So sorry about your troubles!! Been there done that and it is not fun at all!!!

Comment

Make them change all that wet dry wall,floors and wet vent/duct work it will never be the same after getting wet and is a breeding ground for mold that will make your family very sick. You have to get this done now you cant go back to them months later. Tell them you did not pay for a wet house especially not one wet by raw sewage. Call your local consumer report for your local TV station dont let them get over on you with this.

Comment

when you did the walk through and dude showed you how everything works etc, you or he didn't run the water?? make sure the hot water works... the toilets flush.... hot and cold water knobs are not switched?

I remember our walk though in an empty house it took 4 hours. crazy.
                    I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

As if moving isn't BAD enough!!! Hope it all gets fixed soon!!
                      "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Everything finally got fixed last week. We haven't signed off on anything yet.

When we did the walk through, the guy did run the water and flush the toilets and such.
                        The guy even told us he ran all the water for 20 minutes before we moved in to make sure the drains were working. The stop stick that caused the whole thing was placed in a small sewer access hole they had placed in our front yard for the plumbers to have easy access to for our plumbing. Its located almost to our street. Since all the water came from the second story, there had to be a TON of it to fill up all the drains and cause the damage.

Our washer is on the second floor. I can just imagine what would of happened if I had tried using that!!

I think the grand total of the stuff that was ruined is close to $500. I can use that money!!

Richmond America doesn't have a complaint hotline. At least we can't find it. I did a google search and I just came up with a bunch of complaints about them.
                        The Better Business Bureau is getting my report about Richmond AND that plumbing company.

Comment

Good For You!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yikes... that reminds me of the time first husband and I moved into a brand new town house... and on about day 3, I came home from work to find MILLIONS of HUGE black flies buzzing all over the entire downstairs!! Shades of The Amityville Horror!!!

I had to open sliding doors on both ends of the house and chase them out waving towels. I was finding fly corpses for days. Never did find out what the heck that was about!!
                            "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

500 is all? i was thinking it was 3,000 in damage in the garage.
                              i am glad things are all back up and repaired and hope you have your check soon,

but are you not happy with the stick that was left?.
                              or you are not happy with the way things were handled to get it fixed?
                              I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

Working...
                              X